Olympus Om lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently bought a lovely OM2n (size and brilliant viewfinder being the key factors) - what prime Zuiko lenses should I now be looking for? - an honest appraisal of any gems or dogs to look out for would be very welcome as my Olympus knowledge is close to zero, having largely been a Nikon man to date!

Thanks

Depends really on the type of photography that appeals to you. For landscapes, you could start with the standard 50mm lens and add a couple of wide-angles. Zuiko used to make 28mm, 24mm, and I think 21mm too.

I don't think olympus made any dogs. Most oly glass is very good.

the dementia site was very good for info but seems to be down atm.

I don't think olympus made any dogs. Most oly glass is very good.

Very true. In fact the OM-2n you have is a belting camera and I hope you enjoy using it. Another great camera Olympus made was the OM-1, which is a manual-only model.

If you're into close-up and macro then Zuiko do some amazing lenses. Some are specifically designed to use with bellows or the 65-116 tube others are conventional. I have the tube and 135mm and 80mm lenses and love them on my 1D Mk3. :)
The 18mm UWA is very popular on another ForuM (;)) but not easy to get hold of.

I love the Olympus OM glass!!!
They have some of the best lenses ever made, especially wide angles.

I already tried the following:

Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 MC
Zuiko 24mm f/2.0 (both versions)
Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 (both versions)
Zuiko 28mm f/2.8
Hoya HMC 28mm f/2.8
Mitakon 28mm f/2.5
Zuiko 35mm f/2.0
Zuiko 35mm f/2.8
Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 MC
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 (4 different copies, MC and SC)
Zuiko 85mm f/2.0
Zuiko 100mm f/2.8
Zuiko 135mm f/3.5

The are all highly recommended.
If you want something very cheap, get a Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 MC (there are two MC versions, both are equally good) and a Zuiko 28mm f/3.5. The 28mm f/3.5 is a true gem and so cheap at same time...
The 50mm f/1.4 MC is also inexpensive and highly rated.

If you have the money, you can get a Zuiko 21mm f/2.0, which is the 2nd best wide angle in the world, only surpassed by the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8. I'm searching for one, but even 500GBP is a very good price for this one.
The 21mm f/3.5 is almost as good and even smaller, but I want the big brother to get some extra light.

Well, there are multiple choices you can make.
You better tell us how much do you want to spend and which focal distances do you use most of the time. :)

Thanks everyone - I tend to mostly use standard-ish lenses, so the 50mm and 35mms are probably my first calls - the camera came with a 50/1.8.

I've just got the first roll of film back and I'm very happy with the results. Also did a bit of reading this morning - the 28/3.5 looks interesting -any views on how it compares with the 28/2.8?

The 135/3.5 looks like it can be obtained very cheaply(!) - I may consider this for portraits (even though for some it may be slightly on the long side for this type of shot).

the 28/3.5 looks interesting -any views on how it compares with the 28/2.8?

My brother has the f/3.5 and I offered the f/2.8 to my girlfriend so, I had the opportunity to test both several times. Both produce the same results in sharpness, contrast and colour. I prefer to use the f/2.8 because I like to shoot wide open and the bokeh is more interesting, since it has a larger aperture.

Managed to get hold of the 28/2.8 and the 35/2.8.

Can't wait to get started!!

Managed to get hold of the 28/2.8 and the 35/2.8.

Can't wait to get started!!

Very nice lenses! I'm sure you'll love both. One of the great things about Om glass is the fact that all the lenses have the same professional built quality and it doesn't matter if they're f/2.0 or f/3.5.

About the 35mm f/2.8, I can also confirm it's as good as the f/2.0 version.

Tell us your opinion when you test them. (y)

Cool,

I am thinking of getting a OM to try film too. I decided that the Canon 50/85Ls were just too expensive. I ended up with 18/3.5, 24/2, 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.2, 85/2 and 100/f. I need the 40/2 and 90 macro to complete my dream line up. Such good glass, small, light and so well built. These lenses have transformed my photography i am going to sell my 24-105L.

Hope you enjoy your new lenses

Lee

Cool,

I am thinking of getting a OM to try film too. I decided that the Canon 50/85Ls were just too expensive. I ended up with 18/3.5, 24/2, 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.2, 85/2 and 100/f. I need the 40/2 and 90 macro to complete my dream line up. Such good glass, small, light and so well built. These lenses have transformed my photography i am going to sell my 24-105L.

Hope you enjoy your new lenses

Lee

Great to see other people sharing my opinion about some manual focus lenses. :)
You have an excellent set! If I was you I would just sell the 28mm, since it doesn't make much sense to keep it together with the 24mm f/2.0 (one of my favourites) and the 35mm.
I would also sell the 35mm and buy a Leica Summicron-R 35mm f/2.0 type 2 with the money, since the Zuiko 35mm f/2.0, although very good, is probably the worst of the f/2.0 range.

Of course every people have different needs and this is just a personal opinion. (y)

I'm a manual focus lens fan myself, particularly prime lenses, and I still use my 'ais' manual focus Nikons which I'd never part with.

The Olympus wide angles you mention are all outstanding lenses and I remember the 21mm f/3.5 particularly being very highly regarded. Manual focus lenses have a build quality (optically and physically) which make them last a lifetime.

You have an excellent set! If I was you I would just sell the 28mm, since it doesn't make much sense to keep it together with the 24mm f/2.0 (one of my favourites) and the 35mm.
I would also sell the 35mm and buy a Leica Summicron-R 35mm f/2.0 type 2 with the money, since the Zuiko 35mm f/2.0, although very good, is probably the worst of the f/2.0 range.

Of course every people have different needs and this is just a personal opinion. (y)

Hi

I know what you mean about the 28mm, i bought that because i have a 1D3 and a 5d but the girlfriend uses a 400d so its a good one for its focal length on the three bodies. Plus is cost 100 quid bargin

Lee

I have a Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 and a 28mm f/2.8 on my pair of OM-10's, along with a Super Paragon 50mm f/2.8 Macro, and a Hoya 75-260mm f/4.5 Macro - can't fault any of the lenses, especially at the price!!!

I had the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8.

Fantastic and very well made, the manual focus rings are somthing i miss! Very smooth!!

I had the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8.

Fantastic and very well made, the manual focus rings are somthing i miss! Very smooth!!

Sorry Gaz, but you aint getting them back!! :p

Regards - Paul

My normal 35mm set of lenses (Minolta though, not Olympus) is 28mm, 50mm and 135mm.

I finds these three cover 99% of what I want to do.

Steve.

A word of caution, Zuiko lenses tend to have more issues of fungus than any of ther peers nikkor/ takumar amke sure you inpect lenses carefully for fungus type growths

Here's a quick pic of my Olympus stuff...

daddys_toys.jpg

The pair of OM2n's are most in use here.
As for lenses, I've never been in a situation where I wished I had a wider/longer lens, and I only have from the 28mm f2.8 up to the 65mm-200mm f4 zoom.
I've always heard amazing things about the 21mm lenses but I've never really needed them.
By the way, as a cracking all-rounder to keep on the camera for general use, I recommend the 35mm-105 zoom.
(y)

Very beautiful set, Orby1!
Even taking in account you don't need something wider than 28mm, if you have the opportunity, try the 24mm and 21mm lenses. Even in the slowest variations (f/2.8 and f/3.5) they produce brilliant results. :)

Well - a quick update - after a couple of weeks trawling e-bay, I've managed to capture the following - 28/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 135/3.5, 200/4.

I've mainly used the 50 and 35 so far, but have had a chance to test all, and I am very impressed with the quality - and the fact that I've got all of the lenses pretty cheaply!!

I did the Cardiff Photomarathon yesterday, with the kit and I'm looking forward to the results. I love my F3 and lenses, but the portability and quality of this new (to me!) stuff is making me ask questions..........

Amateurs! You're not trying hard enough!!!! I have all this Olympus kit from new; in no particular order:-

24mm F2.8
35 ~ 70mm F4
49mm Polarizing Filter
49mm Skylight Filter
49mm Skylight Filter
49mm Skylight Filter
49mm Skylight Filter
50mm F1.4
55mm Skylight Filter
75 ~ 150mm F4
85mm F2
A16 (for XA2)
Accessory Shoe 4 (Hotshoe)
Connection Auto Cord winder - bounce grip
Electronic Flash T32
Electronic Flash T32
Electronic Flash T32
Eye cup
Eye cup
Flashphoto Group Manual
Grip Strap (Power Bounce 2)
Grip Strap (winder 2)
Lens Case - 24mm
Lens Case - 75 ~ 150mm
Lens Case - 85mm
Lens Hood 24mm
Lens Hood 35 ~ 70mm
Lens hood 85mm
Lens pouch - 35 ~ 70mm
Lens pouch - 35 ~ 70mm
Lens pouch - 35 ~ 70mm
Macrophoto Group Brochure C91E-481D
Motordrive Group Manual
OM Flashphoto Group Brochure C90E-0184D
OM Motordrive Group Brochure C88E-184D
OM System Brochure - German
OM System Brochure - German
OM System Brochure C21E-0484D
OM System Brochure C98E-783D
OM-1n OM-2n Brochure C15E-879D
OM2n - Chrome
OM2n at a glance Manual
OM-2n Brochure C83E-181D
OM2n Manual
One Moment of the World vol 1 (208pp)
One Moment of the World vol 2 (212pp)
Power Bounce Grip 2
Power Bounce Grip 2 Manual
Remote cord 1.2m
Semi hard Case OM-2n
T32 Filter Folder
T32 Filter ND4
T32 Filter ND4
T32 Filter ND8
T32 Filter ND8
T32 Filter wide 21
The Olympus OM Way; L Andrew Mannheim
The OM System Lens Handbook (210pp)
TTL Auto Connector 4 (Hotshoe)
TTL Auto Cord 0.3m
TTL Auto Cord 2m
TTL Auto Cord 5m
TTL Auto Cord 5m
TTL Auto Multi Connector
TTL Auto Multi Connector
Winder 2
Winder 2 Manual
XA2
Zuiko Interchangeable Lens Group Brochure C14E-D80D
Zuiko Interchangeable Lens Group Manual
Zuiko Lens Group Brochure C89E-282D

:)

Put some B&W film through the OM2n in the studio a few weeks ago and everything worked fine; except I kept looking at the back of the camera for the LCD to check the shots!!!! Great fun. I've now gone and bought a Nikon F5 VGC for..... £195! Dealer didn't realise what it was worth.

Funnily enough I'm waiting on getting a Zuiko 28mm f3.5 of of bay-e this week and this thread has confirmed my decision.

Andy

Funnily enough I'm waiting on getting a Zuiko 28mm f3.5 of of bay-e this week and this thread has confirmed my decision.

Andy

You don't need to spend lots of dosh on these well known lenses, as there are plenty of cheap zooms and primes around that will give you very good results and you would be hard pushed to see the difference on a computer screen or A4 print esp touched up in Photoshop.
...and don't forget a m42 adapter is cheap for your OM10, and you can use Helios screw lenses and others, that can be picked up cheap from boot sales.

You don't need to spend lots of dosh on these well known lenses, as there are plenty of cheap zooms and primes around that will give you very good results and you would be hard pushed to see the difference on a computer screen or A4 print esp touched up in Photoshop.
...and don't forget a m42 adapter is cheap for your OM10, and you can use Helios screw lenses and others, that can be picked up cheap from boot sales.

Its a good point but I don't know which of the older makes are good and which are a pile. :shrug:

Andy

Its a good point but I don't know which of the older makes are good and which are a pile. :shrug:

Andy

Well ask the guys on the forum...so you want a 28mm f2.8 lens? Well I've bought three Vivitar 28mm f2.8 lenses and two are the better close focus version for under £8 each. I'm not saying they are equal to an Olympus, Nikon, Canon etc but they are very good and and if you are not projecting slide film or doing 16X20 plus prints, you'd be pushed to see the difference.

Another good buy is a Kiron 28-105 (mine was under £10) you can get very good results at 28mm and use the zoom for other settings...a lot cheaper than an Olympus 28mm.

Kiron 28-105 OOD kodak gold, supermarket dev & Sc, horse going blind in one eye:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/Viv28-105gold10.jpg

Cheers for that mate, I'll have a little mooch around the bay and see whats about.

What a wealth of knowledge there is on here, no question to which there isn't an answer, love it.

Thanks

Andy

Cheers for that mate, I'll have a little mooch around the bay and see whats about.

What a wealth of knowledge there is on here, no question to which there isn't an answer, love it.

Thanks

Andy

Well I've had all the expensive medium format gear, and it didn't make me a better photographer, I'm now back to 35mm and am not going to make the same mistake, anyway it's fun getting excellent/very good results on the cheap....the guys who get expensive DSLRs and SLRs with expensive lenses and get poor results, are the losers.

Back