OLYMPUS OM SERIES - HOW "GOOD" ARE THEY REALLY?

My friend's dad just recently passed away. After going through his stuff they found an om2 + case and 2 lenses in near mint condition!
Apart from the minor smudge on the prism and having to replace the seal as it was getting gooey, everything else is working perfectly.

So I can't really complain since i got very lucky as i only befriended her recently aswell:love:

but yeah i've fallen inlove with it, i also have a pentax MX from the school years, for which i would honestly prefer the om2

edit: Do you guys have any tips of how to clean the pentaprism? it doesn't bother me too much, but still it would be better if its not there. :D

Last edited:
It is possible to clean those surfaces, but you risk causing a lot more damage, especially if it is a gooey substance that has been there for sometime - the possibility of spreading it is definitely a problem.

I've had one or two cameras in the past with slight marks when looking in the viewfinder, honestly it doesn't affect shooting that much.

There used to be an article regarding OM pentaprism foam, but it seems to be down. However the cached version is here ,have a read

My friend's dad just recently passed away. After going through his stuff they found an om2 + case and 2 lenses in near mint condition!
Apart from the minor smudge on the prism and having to replace the seal as it was getting gooey, everything else is working perfectly.

So I can't really complain since i got very lucky as i only befriended her recently aswell:love:

but yeah i've fallen inlove with it, i also have a pentax MX from the school years, for which i would honestly prefer the om2

edit: Do you guys have any tips of how to clean the pentaprism? it doesn't bother me too much, but still it would be better if its not there. :D

I have the same problem with one of my OM1's. The foam breaks down and goops up the viewfinder. I'm going to be following the guide that John linked to at some point and replace the pentaprism. The OM10 one is the same so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an ebay bargain that I can butcher. Shouldn't cost me much more than a tenner I hope.

I have the same problem with one of my OM1's. The foam breaks down and goops up the viewfinder. I'm going to be following the guide that John linked to at some point and replace the pentaprism. The OM10 one is the same so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an ebay bargain that I can butcher. Shouldn't cost me much more than a tenner I hope.

Yes, yes I know. Tenner and courier sounds agreeable. Better wait and see what turns up attached to my new 135mm lens:clap:

I've found a new link to the pentaprism foam article here it contains a link which explains how to remove the top plate.

Yes, yes I know. Tenner and courier sounds agreeable. Better wait and see what turns up attached to my new 135mm lens:clap:

:LOL: I wasn't just refferring to the one you mentioned but I would be interested. Only thing is, if it's in good serviceable condition, it maybe worth preserving and selling it on to somebody who will make use of it. I'd probably be better finding a basket case with a good prism.

dsc_1318_zps3136d13b.jpg

Oh dear, that bag has been on the shelf FAR too long!
Well there are mine! As packed away the last time they were used, probably a decade or more ago. a 10 and a 4.
To the original question, "how good were they?"
Well.... I got my first one, a 10, in 1989. I stuck with the system a decade; it had one thing going for it, for me. It was unloved, and cheap!
Through Uni, I HAMMERED OM10 bodies. I think I went through probably four or five; all bought for probably less than a tenner. I really cannot say that the reputation for reliability or durability was utterly unwarranted. The 10 was most definitely a bit of 'amateur' kit, built down to a price and weight. For most amateurs, treating the camera as a precious artifact, and using it seldom, I suppose it was more than adequate. Only one I ever utterly 'killed' was destroyed by flood, when a college band, I happened to be snapping, was SO bad, a beer-shower refused to dislodge them from the stage.... so some-one decided to open up a fire hose! Using that as a book-mark of what they had to put up with..... I think they did rather well all considered!
I came to the system, after its hay-day. It had had a fairly strong following in the 70's & 80's I believe; they were generally light, compact, sophisticated, and affordable. 'Off The Film' metering was on of their many novelties; the OM series badge being a representation of the metering-matrix on the shutter curtain, and long, automatic exposures, in low light, their party piece.
My father was an OM 'Fan', and attempted to collect a full arsenal of each model, and I have the OM Series 'book' some-where, if any-one is interested enough to get me to dig it out. Seems that Olympus were out to push the boundaries and get a lot of firsts to market, where others were more concerned with making sure it worked properly and reliability, or just concentrating on what was already proven.
Looking at the kit now; well, If I was going to go buy some button cell batteries and a roll of film to put through 'something'... it probably wouldn't be the OM4... it would be this.
dsc_1319_zps2afa5d05.jpg

A Sigma MK1... yes, from independent lens maker, who attempted to suggest that their auto-focus SA1 in the mid 90's was their first ever SLR...... mine says 'Made in Japan' and I think 1970 on the bottom!
Anyway, simple, fully mechanical M42 Pentax Copy, with CWA TTL swing needle meter in view-finder..... it's a very easy handling and satisfying camera to use. I built up a 'retro' kit of prime lenses and period 60's/70's accessories around it, and it was my preferred camera for landscapes and portraits, or anything I had time to 'think' about.
The OM's, with a pair of Vivitar Series-1 'one-touch' zooms, and aperture priority automatic exposure control, were quick and easy, in comparison, and what I took for rock-gigs, motor-sport, or any kind of 'action' photography.
Fitted with winders, I found enormously improved the handling of the OM's, especially with a zoom lens. Which rather suggests that the notion of a 'compact' SLR was to some degree redundant. Something I recall magazines commenting on, when APS came out...

As for how good they were? or are?
Well, I have been pondering... does it REALLY matter?

Looking back over my old neg-archive as I have been trying to scan it up to 'puter... the film stock I used was FAR more significant to image quality than the camera it was in, I think! Certainly ruing student economics, buying cheap Croatian slide film and push-processing, because it was quarter the price of high ASA Fuji!

The technical merits of the camera, and even the optics, to a large degree are so often so hugely over rated, and given far more credit for making 'good' pictures than they really have ability to influence, and it's really only at the very limits of operation, that any one camera, or lens offers any 'edge' over another, whether its an extra stop of aperture, or shutter, or ASA rating; or meter mode or whatever.... which, is rarely a shot stopper.

I think that as a bit of photographic history, the OM Series is certainly interesting, and the marque did an awful lot to make photography easier, and push technology ahead, which they probably aren't given so much credit for.

But ultimately, the system was redundant before I started using it, and probably deservedly. Fills a link in the evolutionary chain, but, its neither nor. It was, in the early 80's avante-guarde, and promoting faster photography, but in the early 90's Olympus all but abandoned the system, seeing the future in 'integrated' cameras, offering ever more feature packed compacts and I recall, as my Grandad bought one... a non interchangeable lens, half frame SLR. Looking back, Olympus were probably a very long way ahead of the game; and that fixed lens SLR, pre-dated the trend towards super-zooms, and SLR's living almost their entire life without ever having the lens swapped, and the Mjui, which superseded the old XA, packing motor-wind and integrated flash, and DX coding into a pocket camera, culminating in the late 90's with the Mjui-zoom... a pocket 'range-finder' with zoom capability, providing inspiration for the modern digital zoom compacts and their evolution into 'bridge'. The company certainly paved the way ahead, and the OM series certainly played an influential part.... and yeah.. they were 'good' cameras, and they held their head up among their peers, for a very long time.

nikon010_zps4fee16a9.jpg

ISBN 0-906447-90-9 - if you cant read it in cover scan. First Published 1991.

Olympus - classics of modern camera technology

Olympus undoubtedly made photographic history with thw OM Series cameras. The OM-1 was the first mini 35mm SLR camera while the OM-2 was the first to have autodynamic exposure metering (metering at the moment of exposure) and TTL flash metering. The OM-3 and OM-4 twins brought multi-spot metering. The latest model, available at the time of writing as the OM-4Ti Black, makes it possible to use a 1/2000s shutter speed with flash. The OM-30 and OM-40, cameras designed with the amateur in mind, were also quite something. The OM-30, for example, was equipped with a system called Zero-In-Focus, which electronically indicated sharp focus before the launch of the Minolta 7000. On the other hand the OM-40 had an exposure metering system called ESP which automatically recognised difficult subjects and compensated exposure accordingly.
So there are plenty of reasons for collecting Olympus OM cameras as milestones of photography.
But this book is not meant for collectors. This may sound crass, but the OM cameras are far too good for collectors. These small, precise photographic machines dont belong in the cupboard or a display cabinet, they belong in the hands of photographers. They belong to those who can appreciate outstanding technology, but who know that the whole point of having a camera is to take photographs.

Well that's what the intro says.....

But BONUS! Hunting on the shelf, hidden behind, when I pulled this and a couple of other smaller books down was a roll of that high ASA Fuji I said was always too expensive! 1600 Provia! and I NEVER used it! GEEZ what a wasted oportunity! I wonder...... fast film...... I wonder if its still any good...... be a waste to use on Landscapes...... and that Sigma really wouldn't get the best out of it..... and I have a fish-eye for the OM.... Hmm... have to have a look in the book, remind myself what code and how many batteries the OM-4 eats.... compartment is empty.... I seem to recall it was an 'extreme' batery preservation measure... will these modern enviromentally freindly 'air' batteries last for 36 exposures do you think?;)

Depends on the expiry, although anything more than a couple of years is pushing it (pun slightly intended) with fast slide film.

Doesn't the OM-4 just take normal batteries? It doesn't need the special wein cells...

Depends on the expiry, although anything more than a couple of years is pushing it (pun slightly intended) with fast slide film.
Doesn't the OM-4 just take normal batteries? It doesn't need the special wein cells...
Been shopping this evening; ASDA had two pack of 'button cells 'the thick' and the 'thin ones'... see I get technical about these things! I wavered, as I couldn't remember which it might be!.... but the urge was strong lol.
Wikipedia has just informed me it took 2 SR44's. I think thems the thik wuns! (you have to say that like Benny from Cross-Roads)

However. OM4 was a battery eater. I was warned when I got it, but thought the reputation was exagerated. I think if anything it was rather plaid down!

I used to have to but new batteries for the XA2 about once every three years. For the OM10, I think I bought two sets in five years.... they often out-lived the camera they were in!

OM4... first set lasted about a month.... "Oh.. I must have knocked the switch on when I packed it away... must be more careful" Happened a couple of times, was annoying, so I took to emptying the battery chamber when packing away, after about the third set. But, they were phasing out 'mercury' batteries; and I recall going to buy a set, and being told they were 'superseded'... and hapily sold a pack of six, for about the normal price of a pack of two.... which I discovered was because they lasted only about 1/5 the time! Those were 'something-air' cells I recall. Like I said, 'technical' here!

... I think thems the thik wuns! (you have to say that like Benny from Cross-Roads)

Showing your age there Mike ... I wonder if Benny ever did find that spanner ?

I use the cheap thick yins, lr44 they're alkaline instead of silver. Not sure if this affects the metering but the batteries are a few quid for a dozen and i've not particularly noticed the exposure being miles out.

I use the cheap thick yins, lr44 they're alkaline instead of silver. Not sure if this affects the metering but the batteries are a few quid for a dozen and i've not particularly noticed the exposure being miles out.
Too over joyed that the meter is actually working, and busy praying you don't get a mirror-up lock-out, because it's JUST gone dead again, when you press the shutter no doubt!:LOL:...
60-Red... you loose again.... all bets need to be placed before the ball is released!
Wonderful.... they could make some of the most advanced cameras of thier time, AND have the fore-thought to offer a 'mechanical over-ride' shutter speed that's not battery dependant, in-case the batteries 'go'... having created one of the most battery hungry metering systems known to man.......
BUT... make it utterly inaccessible if you have got a mirror-up lock-out from releasing the shutter, on a flat battery!
Homatsu, we HAVE a problem!

BUT... make it utterly inaccessible if you have got a mirror-up lock-out from releasing the shutter, on a flat battery!
I believe you need to press the lock button (on the bottom of the lens mount) and turn the shutter speed to 1/60th or B.

However. OM4 was a battery eater. I was warned when I got it, but thought the reputation was exagerated. I think if anything it was rather plaid down!
Many OM4 did eat batteries, it used to be possible to have the circuit board replaced. One check to see which version you have (apart from keep changing batteries :)) is that on the old circuit boards the battery check stayed on forever (or until switched off or the batteries died) whereas the new boards switch off after 30secs.

As far as I know OM4t(i)s all had new circuit boards and didn't suffer so badly with battery drain - although it's always good practice to switch to manual 1/60 or B when putting away, personally I remove the batteries anyway in case they should leak.

I believe you need to press the lock button (on the bottom of the lens mount) and turn the shutter speed to 1/60th or B.
Yes, you can re-set by removing the lens... a rather obscure 'feature', that you are likely to learn the hard way!

Many OM4 did eat batteries, it used to be possible to have the circuit board replaced. ...... new circuit boards and didn't suffer so badly with battery drain.....
Mine has the updated circuit-board.... it still ate batteries.... AND had the wonderful.... "I'll just go to sleep on you, JUST as you want to release the shutter" feature: lol:

Small gripes I guess, at the end of the day;all cameras seem to have thier foibles.

imag3008_zps8d594234.jpg

Scrub up pretty good, now they are off the shelf & I'm fiddling... but without the winders?! Geez they are diddy!

imag3009_zps78b68ed6.jpg

The ten's only just the size of the 3200, and its a full-frame 35mm. Contrast in styling is err... like a Ford Cortina to a Toyota Prius! OM even has the fake letherette like the roof of the Cortina!.....

Hmm... worth a few thoughts on 'progress'; especially griping about OM-4 battery life. It was 'dire' given how little it had to power, by terms of the day, AND you could at least go manual on fixed shutter speed. The Nikon IS rather dependent on its lith-ion power pack, and though I was quite impressed how long it lasted... especially turning off the view screen, you get a few hours 'use' between charges. Them button cells by comparison we expected to last months, even years! So, digi, you get a fancy info-screen, rather than rudimentary meter-display. You get umpety automatic metering modes, as well as auto-focus, and an integrated flash, while with no film, you don't really need a winder. There is definitely a lot more 'in' the Nikon.... but? What happened to a Depth of Field Preview or a Hyperfocus scale?

Cortina - Prius... it IS a good comparison... ever more 'consumer' and less 'enthusiast' orientated, with the machinery taking the hard work, and so much of the involvement out of the job..... but worth remembering, that is EXACTLY the path the OM's were trail-blazing when new, taken to it's destination. But anyway....

imag3010_zps905b615e.jpg

Hmmm.. more contemprary comparison; the four with the old Zenit! Does show the size difference to what else was on the market when they were new. And how 'modern' they were for the time.

Mind... for 'diddy'? Burrowing around in the bowels of the camera bag to see if I could find any forgotten button cells (I did... they were dead!) I discovered another roll of film! Now that IS diddy!

imag3011_zpsbb602199.jpg

My dad is giving me his old OM camera - not sure which model it is. Looking forward to it, as I remember it's in beautiful condition!

I have now spent a whole month shooting daily with OM 1, 2 and 4 models, different lenses, B&W and colour, power drive 2 sometimes, yesterday with Olympus flash unit.

I am completely hooked!:love::love::love::love:

I'm going to sell off all the 35mm Mamiyas, well maybe keep just one Prismat and one ZM, thinking hard about the EOS 1 and 3 which I don't reach for even though I can use all my EOS L lenses on them, maybe also the couple of folders and rangefinders and I keep thinking about some of the EOS kit - like the 1DII and 100-400 lens which get so little use. Not the 5DII though and all the other stuff...

Loved OM1s, and used them to shoot weddings for some time, only replaced them with Nikon FM2s for the higher shutter sync speed (the OM1 only went to 1/60th) - the Olympus' were exquisite, and tough. My local camera shop owner was not polite about OM10s which were hopelessly unreliable......

My local camera shop owner was not polite about OM10s which were hopelessly unreliable......

Sounds like a man who knows something about cameras :LOL: The Olympus designer\engineers tried to be too clever and produced the worst designed camera I've owned so far and was pleased to dismantle it for screws.
Folks don't get an OM10, but if you must have a cheap Olympus camera then the Om20 is better...but dunno about reliability though for both of them, only about problems of sticky magnets.

Back