OLYMPUS OM SERIES - HOW "GOOD" ARE THEY REALLY?

Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, time to 'fess up. I like Olympus OM series 35mm cameras because they're just so compact and light and yet there's a feeling of real engineering about them. I look at some other contemporaries and they'r much heavier, significantly bulkier.

I wasn't a film photographer when the OM single digits the 1, 2, 3 and 4 were current models so I want to ask: how were they perceived then: were they so-so? good? better than good? shocking?

Interesting question. I too am a recent OM convert - did my early photography with an XA - and I do like the system a lot, possibly too much.....

Last edited:
I've read plenty of old timers slating OM4s as being unreliable. Have never heard of or seen a failed contemporary OM4 mind.

(My own OM4Ti has a slightly loose self timer switch, unsurprising after the fall it suffered from my camera bag in a slate quarry, yet it still functions faultlessly)

Olympus has always made it clear that it's aim was (and still is) for compact systems, not necessarily the best at any cost. The fact that they are also in many cases much better than the competition is a bonus and a testament to the skill of their engineers and designers.

I've read plenty of old timers slating OM4s as being unreliable. Have never heard of or seen a failed contemporary OM4 mind.

I've got an OM4 in need of repair, it has dodgy electronics which causes the mirror to stick. After a bit of research, I found out it's a fairly common problem with them :thumbsdown: but every camera has it's problems, most of them are due to age. For example, Nikon F60's usually have a very sticky grip, as the chemicals in the rubber degrade over time - it's not something manufacturers can really test for.

I have used the OM-1 OM-4 OM-4ti and the OM-3,i kind like them,but i had problems with the OM-1 & OM-4,their not quite a tough as some other model,
the Pentax MX - LX or the Nikon FM-FM-2.

The OM-4ti & 3 were better build,but in the end when back to Nikon :)

I was really tempted recently to pick up an OM1 or OM2, as I've heard that they have big viewfinders with good coverage. In the end, however, I decided it would be best to just stick with Nikon bodies so that I could use the lenses I already have.

Okay, time to 'fess up. I like Olympus OM series 35mm cameras because they're just so compact and light and yet there's a feeling of real engineering about them. I look at some other contemporaries and they'r much heavier, significantly bulkier.

I wasn't a film photographer when the OM single digits the 1, 2, 3 and 4 were current models so I want to ask: how were they perceived then: were they so-so? good? better than good? shocking?

Back in the late 70's early 80's I went from my my first SLR, a Zenith E to an OM1 and it was a revelation. It was beautifully made, a joy to use and I only let it go when I had to trade it in against a Nikon F801 because my eyes were shot and I needed the benefit of auto-focus. I've got an OM2 now, just for old times sake.

Just solve your GAS and buy one :) If you are hoping for everyone to post "best camera ever made" to give you a push? Then you wont get everyone to agree.
Getting a OM10 put me off Olympus for life, as my logic was "if the Olympus designers can't get this right, then what are the single digit models like". I don't know of a Nikon or Canon producing a bad designed camera....and yes I do own a Nikon EM and Canon AV1 (which are entry level cameras).

Fair to say that when released the OM1 caused quite a stir. Very well received. Gained a reputation for quality and ease of use. OM2 built on that, had one myself until recently. Loved it, let it go to make way for my Nikon F2.
OM lenses are also very good and represent pretty good value. Good system to get into.

Just solve your GAS and buy one :) If you are hoping for everyone to post "best camera ever made" to give you a push?

Well I've actually got an OM1, 2 and two 4s:bang::bang:

I like the ergs a lot, I find I'm still getting used to the shutter speed dial being behind the lens and my fingers are looking on the top plate for it. Also the size of the body means that the wrong, ie too chunky, strap mount gets between me and the film advance lever.

So I'm committed but being brave/daft enough to ask now whether they were regarded as the mutts' nutts or a dog's dinner:bonk:(y)

Oh aye, two 4s was a bidding mistake.

I think part of the problem was that there was less of a lust factor - whilst they were marketed as serious amateurs/semi-professionals, there (IMO) wasn't that feeling that you were buying into a system that had the same DNA as cameras that the very top professionals used.

This advert from Nikon at the end of the 1970s helps to explain what I mean:

5558282346_e970124f2c_b.jpg

You could buy an EM and you'd be getting a bit of an F2 (although realistically that's highly debatable!). There is no doubt that Yoshihisa Maitani was a brilliant camera designer though!

Well I've actually got an OM1, 2 and two 4s:bang::bang:

I like the ergs a lot, I find I'm still getting used to the shutter speed dial being behind the lens and my fingers are looking on the top plate for it. Also the size of the body means that the wrong, ie too chunky, strap mount gets between me and the film advance lever.

So I'm committed but being brave/daft enough to ask now whether they were regarded as the mutts' nutts or a dog's dinner:bonk:(y)

Oh aye, two 4s was a bidding mistake.

HUH!!! If you like Olympus you could have got an OM20 and spent the extra money on some super lenses. :shrug:

Also the size of the body means that the wrong, ie too chunky, strap mount gets between me and the film advance lever.

I had a major strap cock up on my OM2Sp when I had extra rings connecting the strap to the body, one got caught in the advance lever at full advance, took me half an hour of fiddling to get it off again! :LOL:

They're not really comparable, the OM20 and the OM4

They're not really comparable, the OM20 and the OM4

Yes of course, but IMO using film, lenses are more important than a camera body. I've used Pentax, flek and Sonnar lenses on a £4 MTL3 and obtained excellent results. I've also used these lenses on a Canon T70 bought for £8 and add that to VG Canon lenses and probably is the reason I plug Canon so much ;)

I had a major strap cock up on my OM2Sp when I had extra rings connecting the strap to the body, one got caught in the advance lever at full advance, took me half an hour of fiddling to get it off again! :LOL:

So it's not just me then? Deep joy!

So it's a design flaw? Hmm, better find a fix:clap:

You can probably tell what I think of them! Had a few Nikon SLR's (FM, FE and FG) and still have a Pentax but love these OM's. Not had an OM3 or 4 yet but in all honesty I might skip them as I love the simplicity of the OM1 and don't really desire any of the additional advancements. The OM2 is nice too but a bit annoying that there is no mirror lock and I never use the auto mode.

DSCF2710 by G.A.D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ah I see the black one had one of those "fall apart\cracked" hot shoe, or did it fall off :)

excalibur2 said:
Ah I see the black one had one of those "fall apart\cracked" hot shoe, or did it fall off :)

No idea. I just bought it like that but the hot shoes just screw on and off so it may have just been misplaced.

Beautiful cameras, a design classic. I have a 2 but will add a 2SP or a 4 one day when I can find one at a fair price.

Love them or hate them the OM1,2,3 and 4 are in my view iconic cameras the like of which have simply never been repeated.

The pinnacle being the OM-3 as far as I am concerned, with its mechanical shutter and utterly fantastic meter, sadly not waterproof though:bonk:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=450106

I have recently replaced the light seals on my original OM-1N, bought to replace my Zenit B way back when. And yes the switch was like stepping into the light!

Truth is, last year I sold my 1, 2 and 4Ti but I missed them so much that I'm going round a second time and have a growing feeling that I'll be selling off my various Mamiyas and quite possibly a folder and rangefinder or two.
When good looking SLRs are this compact who needs anything else?

If you can find one I really do recommend a OM-3, you won't regret it!

I bought mine new when the price was reasonable, it was the same money as the electronic OM-4 new.

They have gained an absurd price premium I have to agree. So why?

I can only offer a personal perspective.

I was an OM fanatic, I ran three OM bodies for a good number of years, an OM-1N, OM-2sp and the OM-3. I travelled a lot in my youth at every opportunity through out Europe, Eastern Europe and further a field. My cameras although looked after were well used. I also travelled on a budget as did my cameras!

The OM-1N, a lovely camera went back to Olympus on at least 3 occasions when it just stopped working. I had problems with the shutter and the mirror locking up The OM-2sp was a great camera, superb metering. The only OM I bought used, although mint and only a few months old. It was sadly just not that reliable and failed on me on quite a few occasions. It had electronic faults; it drained batteries at a ridiculous rate, the shutter failed four times and like many OM’s was plagued with mites!

The only OM that never failed me, never skipped a beat, always worked, even after it froze solid in a tent in the northern highlands was the OM-3. I just loved the meter, although you will be familiar with much the same system from the OM-4.

I think Olympus produced the perfect OM in the 3!

All the sadder for the catastrophic end to my beloved OM-3, already documented in another thread.

I still love the beauty and the handling of these cameras; they are classic and iconic.

But I have to acknowledge other than the OM-3 I just found the OM system was simply just not that reliable over the years I used them between 1979 and 1994.

I am sure others will offer different perspectives but that is why I think the OM-3 commands such a high premium. They work, they go on working and I suspect people don’t want to part with them hence the often silly price tag.

I remember the OM-1 being introduced. It was very highly regarded at the time and I'm sure lots of Pro's used them too. The lens range was also impressive, a lot better than it is now I think. As I remember the other main ones were Nikon, Contax, Pentax, Canon for 35mm and Hasselblad, Pentax, Mamiya and Rollieflex for large format. All of these were very desirable especially at the top end of the ranges but were out of most peoples reach.

Out of interest, where did you get the seal kit? Think my OM1 is in need of a spruce up as well. A new prism being the main thing but thought I'd do the seals as well.

Contact Jon Goodman, who was the seller interslice on eBay.

JGood21967@aol.com

I know it seems odd to order through an email, but you pay via PayPal, and the goods arrive in the UK (he is based in the US) in around a week. They come with clear instructions, tools to do the job and obviously the seals themselves. It can be a little fiddly at first but it is fine - I have resealed countless cameras and it's not that difficult at all (y)

JGood21967@aol.com

I know it seems odd to order through an email, but you pay via PayPal, and the goods arrive in the UK (he is based in the US) in around a week. They come with clear instructions, tools to do the job and obviously the seals themselves. It can be a little fiddly at first but it is fine - I have resealed countless cameras and it's not that difficult at all (y)

Cheers. I'll get in touch with him.

JGood21967@aol.com

:plus1: for Jon, he is a top fella and a pleasure to deal with.

JGood21967@aol.com

It was John Goodman I got the seal kit from on Freecoms recomendation. Jon is a gentleman and an excellent person to deal with, he supplied me with a raft of other useful seals for my absurd collection of light tight boxes

Oh jolly joy - just scooped an OM10 on EBay to get the 135mm Zuiko lens coming with it. Anyone want an OM10 before it goes back on EBay?

tikkathreebarrel said:
Oh jolly joy - just scooped an OM10 on EBay to get the 135mm Zuiko lens coming with it. Anyone want an OM10 before it goes back on EBay?

Maybe if its super cheap and the penta prism is in good nick...

I believe the OM2 was one of the first cameras with TTL/OTF flash control. This was quite something at the time.

This is a useful site for all things OM

Last edited:
I was a cheapskate so I bought an OM-40. It still works though the rewind handle is hanging on by a thread and the batteries don't last very long.

I once had an OM-10 which I bought second-hand but it got drenched in sea water when I was photographing a storm and turned to rust inside.

Back