Olympus OM10 - A word of warning!

Edit My Images
No
If like me you have decided to dip your toe into the waters of film photography, you may have discovered the Olympus OM10 after a bit of research on forums like this one. A fine camera, particularly for beginners, which can be picked up cheap on eBay and serves well as an inexpensive starter into the world of film.

Please heed this word of advice from bitter experience - BE CAREFUL WHEN LOADING FILM!

From bitter, bitter experience I cannot stress this point enough. Having owned an OM10 for 6 weeks and shot a couple of rolls on it, I was loving life. In a hurry to get out and catch what was left of the January light, I rushed to load another roll. Massive mistake. Film loaded incorrectly, lever advanced, film had to be removed, lever jammed. I paid £10 for my OM10 body and in 10 seconds I bricked it. Having scoured forums like this one, read every manual going and tried to no avail to find a workable solution, my only option was a repair shop. Now for a £10 camera there is no point whatsoever in this. I managed to find another body in seemingly mint condition for £20 in minutes on eBay, however - it was entirely my fault and could have been easily avoided.

So, new OM10 owners - be careful or your bargain camera can quickly become a rather expensive mistake!

I'm quite tempted to give one a go but would have no idea where to start and would probably break a few!

I really like the OM10 as a starter camera. If you're looking for a very cheap entry into film, if you hunt around enough you can pick one up in good condition with a 50mm lens for approx. £25. The only downside is that they're going to cost a lot more to repair - and this problem in particular is a real suckerpunch. I'm treating it as a lesson learned - give it care and attention or pay the price! I just hope other users see this before they make the same mistake and end up out of pocket!

Probably cheapest just to buy another one. I had an OM10 as my second SLR (after a Zenit E) and loved it, a great camera (if the film is loaded correctly..)

Strange out of OM10 (two) OM20 OM2 (two) ...the only problem I didn't have were with the two OM10s..h'mm maybe because they were more simple and there was less to go wrong. Anway taking a logical view:- most film cameras are old so more chances of any camera make to go wrong.

I rushed to load another roll.!

If you want speed, Rush, quickness then pick up a digi kit.

Massive mistake. !

Rushing with film is just that ...a Big mistake!

Film loaded incorrectly, lever advanced, film had to be removed, lever jammed. !

Take your time and this is less likely to happen and you'll possibly enjoy the experience of shooting film much more!

OM10, or any other film camera can succumbe to film jam so let's not pull the OM10 down specifically, it's actually quite a nice little slr and decent value for money.

So when the lever jammed, was it caused by the film failing to wind on because it was installed incorrectly? Did you try turning the rewind lever which disconnects the winder spool so you can rewind the film? I would have expected the film to tear before the winding mechanism failed but I guess nothing is certain with older cameras.

As above though, it's simple enough to find another OM10 body for less than £20 so I personally wouldn't bother paying someone to fix yours unless it has some sentimental value.

Last edited:
If like me you have decided to dip your toe into the waters of film photography, you may have discovered the Olympus OM10 after a bit of research on forums like this one. A fine camera, particularly for beginners, which can be picked up cheap on eBay and serves well as an inexpensive starter into the world of film.

Please heed this word of advice from bitter experience - BE CAREFUL WHEN LOA?DING FILM!

From bitter, bitter experience I cannot stress this point enough. Having owned an OM10 for 6 weeks and shot a couple of rolls on it, I was loving life. In a hurry to get out and catch what was left of the January light, I rushed to load another roll. Massive mistake. Film loaded incorrectly, lever advanced, film had to be removed, lever jammed. I paid £10 for my OM10 body and in 10 seconds I bricked it. Having scoured forums like this one, read every manual going and tried to no avail to find a workable solution, my only option was a repair shop. Now for a £10 camera there is no point whatsoever in this. I managed to find another body in seemingly mint condition for £20 in minutes on eBay, however - it was entirely my fault and could have been easily avoided.

So, new OM10 owners - be careful or your bargain camera can quickly become a rather expensive mistake!
I'm still not sure exactly what you did. How did you load the film incorrectly? What exactly jammed?

Double post.

If you want speed, Rush, quickness then pick up a digi kit.

Rushing with film is just that ...a Big mistake!

Take your time and this is less likely to happen and you'll possibly enjoy the experience of shooting film much more!

OM10, or any other film camera can succumbe to film jam so let's not pull the OM10 down specifically, it's actually quite a nice little slr and decent value for money.

Maybe a reason to get a T70 that has auto wind o_O :D

Auto wind is for idle folk:D....and T70's are for those who aint bothered about street cred :exit::ROFLMAO:

...but hands up, how many have forgot to wind the film on for the next shot :eek:...worse when you are in a hurry to capture something important :eek:...maybe a good idea for a debating thread "auto or manual wind on" Anyway I'm open minded and use both but sometimes I prefer one.

Apart from some older folders, pretty much every other camera I've used has had interlinked shutter/winder so they have to be wound on to shoot the next frame. Unless I'm trying to catch a once in a lifetime shot that's never going to happen again I reckon the 2 seconds to wind on the film is manageable. If it's that or having to carry a T70 is just ignore the shot ;0)

I've broken a Pentax LX by botch loading the film (stupid finnicky Pentax reel design) and there are horror stories of Minolta XD7/11s having the teeth stripped from the spool, but I have no idea how it's possible to brick any Olympus OM from incorrect film loading.

Apart from some older folders, pretty much every other camera I've used has had interlinked shutter/winder so they have to be wound on to shoot the next frame. Unless I'm trying to catch a once in a lifetime shot that's never going to happen again I reckon the 2 seconds to wind on the film is manageable. If it's that or having to carry a T70 is just ignore the shot ;0)

But a T70 would suit your style to a T:exit: ....you could always do one of your modifications to it to try improve its looks:D

I've broken a Pentax LX by botch loading the film (stupid finnicky Pentax reel design) and there are horror stories of Minolta XD7/11s having the teeth stripped from the spool, but I have no idea how it's possible to brick any Olympus OM from incorrect film loading.

A problem I've found sometimes is that if the winder is a bit stiff ( maybe by design or needing a service or 36 exp film) then it's possible to try and force the next frame on, when the problem is that you have come to the end of the film :eek: busted wind on mechanism...h'mm guess how I know :(

But a T70 would suit your style to a T:exit: ....you could always do one of your modifications to it to try improve its looks:D

You might be on to something there Asha, maybe I could...no, how about...hmm, what if.....

220px-Canon_t70.jpg

No, I'm stumped. It may have a good auto mode but so does a Fiat Multipla and that's ugly as sin too ;0)

You might be on to something there Asha, maybe I could...no, how about...hmm, what if.....

220px-Canon_t70.jpg

No, I'm stumped. It may have a good auto mode but so does a Fiat Multipla and that's ugly as sin too ;0)

..but In 1984, the camera won the Good Design Award (from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry) and the European Camera of the Year Award.

..but In 1984, the camera won the Good Design Award (from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry) and the European Camera of the Year Award.

yeah but the judges had no class ( or hadn't come across Nikon!) :D:D

I've picked up another OM10 for £20, but its £20 I wouldn't have had to spend had i taken my time. So yes, £20 down the drain that quickly because of pure human error is an expensive mistake.

From what I've seen online its a fairly common problem. Film loaded incorrectly (into the spool in my case), advanced, folded/crumpled in the mechanism and the shutter & advance lever stuck in a kind of no mans land where the counter reads "S" and none of the gears/cogs advance or rewind. As said above, far easier just to buy a new one - but it could have been avoided completely just by taking the time it needs to be done properly. This is just a word of caution for anyone who owns/is thinking of owning one - unless you enjoy setting fire to ten pound notes, take your time as one hasty move could spell doom for your om10.

A paper bag springs to mind.

They also cost about the same :)

Very easy. Take the 220 roll out of the packet and use a lump hammer to make it fit... ;)

Ah these things happen.. Im pretty sure we've all done daft stuff, least it's only a few quid eh
Like forgetting to press the film release thingy button and shredding the film...hence rewind knob sitting next to the camera instead of fixed on it. :whistle:

Last edited:
Ah these things happen.. Im pretty sure we've all done daft stuff, least it's only a few quid eh
Like forgetting to press the film release thingy button and shredding the film...hence rewind knob sitting next to the camera instead of fixed on it. :whistle:

Oh yeah I been there. Shredded film then snapped!

I have not got an OM-10 but I did a Video on my Boy's OM02n that i have now 'Taken over' and am trying to get as good results with it as HE did when he was 8 and 9 years old -- you can see his photo results on the video here ::
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIW575O7sxI

Back