Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

My first adventure into film photography, and I've just bought the following:

Olympus OM10,
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8,
Vivitar 75-205f3.8,
2x tele converter,
Manual adapter, plus leather case, strap, lens caps.

And paid the pricely sum of £59. I bought this on a whim as I was actually just browsing for different models. But the Olympus brought back fond memories of my first DSLR so thought 'what the heck' (as they say). I hope I got a fair deal?

I'm also looking to get a 28mm lens at some point soon too.

Anyway, I was just writing to try and find out any opinions/sample images from this camera? And also other/better lenses I should look out for?

Plus as I am a complete newbie to this, any tips to get me started would be great! :D

Thanks!

Just get out & use it! No amount of other peoples' pictures taken with the same camera will make a significant difference. The OM10 is a great camera & it sounds like you got a good deal. I don't know Olympus really, so can't help you with other lenses, etc, but I'm sure there will be a few people on here that can :)

Have you put any film through it yet?

-J

Oh, & welcome to the forum :D

I think you mean SLR :)

But a great camera - go out and play. Remember you can't look at the little screen on the back - and have to wait a while before you see the photos.. And you only get 25ish or 37ish shots per 'memory card'....

Great little camera, made much more versatile with the manual adapter.

All the Zuiko lenses are generally highly regarded but depending on your shooting style I would be on the look out for a Zuiko 28mm w/a, the perfect lens for this camera.

Well Megan I think you will find that the Oly OM10 is a great little camera and the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 is a great, sharp lens. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers

Andy

I think you mean SLR

But a great camera - go out and play. Remember you can't look at the little screen on the back - and have to wait a while before you see the photos.. And you only get 25ish or 37ish shots per 'memory card'....

No, my first DSLR was an Olympus, I've never owned a film camera before. I'm not quite that easily confused ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys, I haven't received the camera yet, it's in the post as we speak. But I'm excited to get started! I'll post some pics as soon as I think I've something worthwhile. May take a few months :D

I think it sounds like a great starter setup.

I've never personally owned an Olympus SLR myself but (when I have handled one) the viewfinder always seems large and bright and lovely to use.

A 50mm 1.8 prime is a great general purpose lens. Raglansurf is right however, the perfect partner to it would be a 24 or 28mm wideangle lens. With that pair of lenses you don't have to carry much, but you have a setup that will work well for portraits and landscapes.

Word of advice: Make sure you properly read up on how to load/unload film for the camera - don't just assume, sometimes a camera can have quirks. The first few times you do, don't worry about wasting a shot or two, just wind it on a couple times before closing it so you are sure it's taken onto the spool.

It's far too easy easy with a new film camera to assume you know how to load it and wind the spool the wrong way, or try to minimise the number of frames you lose and not get it securely winding on.

Once the back is closed, watch the rewind knob, it should rotate as you work the film wind lever. I've ended up shooting a few films over the last few years, and then getting to the end, rewinding them, getting them processed, to find they hadn't even taken as it wasn't winding on. Now I always check and make certain.

OM10s are easy enough, mine would let you double expose though so watch out for that! Loading is piece of proverbial, leader in the slot, wind on - no messing!

The vivitar is actually not a bad lens either, if the samples on Pentaxforums are anything to go by.

I just got bought one of these, after borrowing it and putting a film through it first, to make sure I liked it (and that it still functioned).

I've got the OM Winder 2 on it too. Love the sound it makes. :love: :D

Enjoy. :)

It's my favourite SLR, I've got an OM1n an OM2n and several other Olympus SLR's and I still go back to my OM10, it was given to me by my father and it does exactly what the other "posher" cameras do for pennies compared to the prices that are charged for the single digit models.

Welcome to the Forum, good luck with your SLR purchase and don't forget to post the images!

Which was your first Olympus DSLR by the way?

From my OM10 (with 50mm Zuiko f/1.8 only) I have taken:

RC Car Artist (2) by ebdl11, on Flickr

Lotus Evora (2) by ebdl11, on Flickr

Local Colour by ebdl11, on Flickr

3AM Eternal by ebdl11, on Flickr

I normally use Pentax Spotmatics, but my dad gave me an OM10 body (I think he bought it to attach to a microscope when he did his PhD) and I bought the lens on eBay. I've been very impressed with the results, it's an easy camera to use and the lens is lovely.

Back