olympus om10

Name
walter
Edit My Images
Yes
i still have my om10, and to get back into the hang of using camera again...... ie zoom focus shoot, instead of just point and shoot, what is the cost of film and processing, and is the process readily available,

Hi, I've just given my OM10 away. You can still get your photo's developed, but not as readily as 10 years ago...:crying:

Neil

i still have my om10, and to get back into the hang of using camera again...... ie zoom focus shoot, instead of just point and shoot, what is the cost of film and processing, and is the process readily available,

Film - get a roll of whatever C41 film your local poundshop is knocking out - cost £1 obviously.

Processing - process and scan to CD at local supermarket should be maybe £3, lots of other mail-order places that will do the job for a similar price - Club 35 for example.

Do the poundshops sell film???
:thinking:
Errr, perhaps I shouldn't have given my Olympus away.
:LOL:

Neil

Do the poundshops sell film???
:thinking:
Errr, perhaps I shouldn't have given my Olympus away.
:LOL:

Neil

There's quite a few people in the Film and Conventional dscussion section (where this thread should have been started incidentally) that have picked up film at the poundshops...

Personally, I tend to buy up short dated stocks of film in bulk and stick 'em in the freezer for long term storage.

Yeah, picked up 2 rolls of Kodak Color Plus 200 from a Poundland recently. The better stores apparently have UltraMax 400, so it's certainly worth a look. I used the Fuji lab in Burnley, website here, although I've just had a quick check and it seems like they have hiked their prices, by at least 50p on the service I was using (dev + scan with no prints). Shame, because until then it was probably the most competitive. Nowadays, I prefer to have it developed only and scan it myself, and I'm probably going to look at doing C41 at home in the future.

C41 at home is a lot of work!

Do you have a film processor?

I sold mine - it was too challenging get the temp. right!

Film - get a roll of whatever C41 film your local poundshop is knocking out - cost £1 obviously.

Processing - process and scan to CD at local supermarket should be maybe £3, lots of other mail-order places that will do the job for a similar price - Club 35 for example.

thanks mark that is some useful information (y)

Ive just started doing C-41 at home. I have been doing B&W for a while but I always put off doing colour as I thought it would be hard. Turns out its a lot easier than I thought! All I use is a paterson tank, and a pan filled with hot water from the kettle. Then I just check the temp using a thermometer. Probably not the best way to do it, but seems to be working fine so far.

Ive just started doing C-41 at home. I have been doing B&W for a while but I always put off doing colour as I thought it would be hard. Turns out its a lot easier than I thought! All I use is a paterson tank, and a pan filled with hot water from the kettle. Then I just check the temp using a thermometer. Probably not the best way to do it, but seems to be working fine so far.

Went high tech a while ago - insulated coolbox with lid and a Aquarium heater. Fill coolbox with water at 45-50c and place chemicals in it. Temperature probe in water. Leave lid off, and go load your film spiral. When you get back, water is usually around 39c. Take a scoop of water for soaking film in tank, pour in tank, place tank in coolbox, and add the aquarium heater set to 38c (mine actually only goes to 36c on thermostat, but it's stable at that, which works better than creeping up/down) Place lid on coolbox, and leave soaking for 5 minutes. Then pretty much follow the tetenal instructions, working from the coolbox of tempered water.

***Went high tech a while ago***

...and some using a microwave to heat the chemicals...............................

If you get into it. And want to stick to C41, Jessops Dev Only for 2 quid where i am, you get a new film back (FujiColor 200). So you get your Negs for 2 quid per film. Then get a scanner-100 quid or so, and your in bussiness!

Don't bother with looking at Jessops online prices like those linked above, their about 5 years out of date at least and most of the services such as Cibachrome prints are not even offered anymore. The Developing and Printing section is basically obsolete but still online on their site for some reason so if you search for Jessops film developing prices on Google it comes up with that. Its not actually linked to from anywhere on the Jessops site if you look.
I had a bit of an arguement with one Jessops over the cost of some enlargements because of those web prices which they incidentally knew nothing about (although in the end they agreed to me only paying the price shown online after I brought a printout in).

BTW, the free film varies depending on what their using at the moment. Most of the time its dead cheap Kodak Colour Plus 200 which is literally the worst film sold at the moment. Its basically a very old Kodacolour emulsion from the early 80's if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Happy_medium said:

As demonstrated above, it's possible to make it work (without a JOBO or similar). And that's what I plan to do, although I'm struggling to find the best place to get a heater from that doesn't break the bank. fleabay?

May have asked this before but where did you get the aquarium heater from?

May have asked this before but where did you get the aquarium heater from?

Aquarium Shop at my local garden centre. Went in and explainned what I wanted, size of the water tank wanted to keep conditioned etc. and the bloke dug out one that had been pre-used in their own tanks, picked it up for a couple of quid :shrug:

looking for om10, i turfed out cupboards, not to find it, then wifey goes to the only cupboard i didnt look in and found it, :bonk:
while searching came across six rolls of film which must be ten years old will this film still be usesable,
also battery in om10 still buzzes to check battery is ok (y)

looking for om10, i turfed out cupboards, not to find it, then wifey goes to the only cupboard i didnt look in and found it, :bonk:
while searching came across six rolls of film which must be ten years old will this film still be usesable,
also battery in om10 still buzzes to check battery is ok (y)

If stored at UK room temperatures you might get a slight colour cast or slight shift in colours....for B/W, I still have 120 FP4 expired in 1982 and it's ok.

i have loaded film and shot all 36 to-day, i cant believe how enjoyable it was,
hearing shutter open and close, i kept forgetting to wind on :bonk:
when i was using zoom and trying to focus sometimes i had a black segment in one or other of split circle for focusing, anyone any ideas how to stop this as it seems more difficult to focus,
so i've shot film can anyone recommend somewhere to send it to get it developed

wallyboy said:
when i was using zoom and trying to focus sometimes i had a black segment in one or other of split circle for focusing, anyone any ideas how to stop this as it seems more difficult to focus,

Unavoidable side effect of the smaller maximum aperture on the zoom with a split image rangefinder. The only real solution is faster lens.

I've always been happy with Peak Imaging in Sheffield for processing.

I dropped my Dads OM10 25 years ago, it never recovered, and I dont think he ever forgave me.

S

I've felt like dropping mine a few times :LOL: ......I'm hoping my 9 year old grandson will like film photography so I can give it to him.

Back