Olympus OM10

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
No
Hello :) I recently bought my first ever SLR (I've only ever used point and shoots) which is an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm lens and a manual adapter. I've pretty much got my head around it but have a few questions!
First of all, I predominantly bought this camera to use for concert photography (dark rooms, unpredictable and varied lighting, etc!!) , will I need to purchase a flash for this in order for distinguishable, "good" photos? Or will they be fine without?
Also, I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that the film doesn't automatically rewind when the roll is done, how should I go about doing this and handing the film in for development?
Thank you in advance!
-Hannah

A flash probably isn''t ideal but I'm not sure I've never really shot in that kind of situation.

Rewiding on the other hand I've done a few times... There is a little knob on the front of the camera just under the film advance lever, it has an arrow on it, turn the knob in the direction of the arrow. This releases the ratchet. You can now rewind using the rewind handle on the left side of the camera, it folds out from the bit that pops up when you load a film. If its feeling tight stop, its very easy to snap a film by turning too hard when the ratchet hasn't released.

Go to the Butkus web site and download the manual (Google 'Butkus manual' to find the site). He offers a free service but likes a donation.

For concert photography, using a flash will both annoy everyone and destroy the ambience of the venue. You want to capture that "dark rooms, unpredictable and varied lighting, etc!!", not destroy it. If you did use flash, it would have to be a powerful one to work which is why it would annoy everyone.

Your maximum ISO is 3200 which means a very slow shutter speed - you need to practise your bracing technique.

You will use the lens wide open most of the time so a very small depth of field - you also need to practise your focusing in light you cannot see in.

Don't let me put you off. The OM10 is an excellent camera - I have one and use it a great deal. But it is not digital. One ISO setting for the entire roll of film, manual focus, 36 shots before the camera stops working while you change the film.

Have fun!

Hi Hannah, welcome to the wonderful wacky world of fillum. :D

Basically I will just re-iterate the comments above really. Flash, probably a bad idea. Buy some ISO 1600 or 3200 film, this will give you a faster shutter speed and also give you a nice grainy, concert 'look' to your images.

Here's one I took a few years ago of Seth Lakeman at the Hard Rock Café in Manchester on a Nikon F3 with the e series 50mm f2.8 lens.
Image1-3 by Andy, on Flickr

Have fun

Andy

First of all, I predominantly bought this camera to use for concert photography (dark rooms, unpredictable and varied lighting, etc!!) , will I need to purchase a flash for this in order for distinguishable, "good" photos?

I would imagine using flash would get you kicked out of a lot of venues. As the others have said, classic gig photography uses the stage lights to create that high-contrast look which flash would ruin anyway.

Welcome to F&C!

Wow! Thank you so much to everyone who replied, the useful advice and hospitality is very much appreciated! I'll definitely stay away from the flash, for concerts at least, lol. Thanks again :)

A monopod might be something to consider in low light if they will let you take one in? As much as I like my OM's I don't rate them for flash because of the 1/60th sync speed that they have. It limits the length of lens I can hand hold.

A monopod might be something to consider in low light if they will let you take one in? As much as I like my OM's I don't rate them for flash because of the 1/60th sync speed that they have. It limits the length of lens I can hand hold.

Well I would have thought a sync speed of 1/60 or even 1/30 wouldn't matter in very dim conditions, as the flash would just add to the exposure at say 1/30 sec...but of course at that slow speed you could get camera shake that could interfere with the otherwise sharp results by flash.....unless you have a steady hand.

Last edited:
Film SLR and concert photography? The fastest film you can lay your hands on (ISO3200 ideally), fast lenses (f/1.4-1.8), no flash and good technique. Concert photography on film can be pretty tough!

<snip> Concert photography on film can be pretty tough!
And very effective. I have seen so many digital concert shots that are just too clean and sanitary.

True. The lens was a 28mm 1.8 siggy.

h'mm well I've learnt something as I didn't know they made one for a film camera, and looked up reviews and it looks like it's a very good lens......I'm not impressed with my copy of the joe public sigma 28mm f2.8

If you get sick of the manual adaptor go find an OM-40 body, has the shutter speed ring around the lens mount like the better OM bodies do.

If you get sick of the manual adaptor go find an OM-40 body, has the shutter speed ring around the lens mount like the better OM bodies do.
I'd not get a 40, ugly 80's monstrosity. But a 20 or 30 isn't a bad shout. The OM30 even has rudimentary auto focus.

Back