Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5 problem

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought one of these cameras from MPB some time ago - no longer under warranty - and it has developed a problem. The shutter is stuck in the closed position and will not budge at all. Normally, the shutter is in the open position, allowing me to see the sensor if there is no lens attached. I have tried leaving the battery out for two days to see if this would help and I have tried a firm rap or two on a solid surface to see if that would free the shutter. Neither had any affect.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you deal with it? This camera is now quite old and I am loath to spend a lot on repairs for a camera that might be at the end of its life.

This seems to be a fairly common problem with the Olympus Pen range, especially if the camera has been dropped anytime. The only temporary solution I've seen is to fully charge the battery and insert it into the camera with the power button held down. The problem is likely to reoccur and the only real cure is a new shutter mechanism, the cost of which is likely to exceed the current value of the body. I'd keep the existing battery, charger and card as spares and look for a low mileage replacement body, there really isn't much real world difference between the 5,6,7 or 8 versions and they turn up every now and again with minimal shutter counts at places like LCE.

Thank you, Harvey. I am going to try to justify upgrading while replacing.

Back