Olympus test and wow - help!

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
if there is an OMD EM1 mk2 out there, could you please tell me what settings you use for action and sport. I have borrowed it from LCE in Gosforth. I photographed the cricket out the back. The shots looked ok on the back of the screen but when I took them into Lightroom they appear soft. Now, I don't imagine they will look as good as a 1dx2, but I was wondering, without a handbook, whether there were any tips? Not knowing the menus inside out like I do with my Canons (mostly) I am wondering if there is anything else to set?

Thanks

I would just use the settings that I use for most cameras ie AF-C, single point AF and have shutter speed high enough to freeze the motion. Were you using electronic shutter or mechanical, and what frame rate did you have set? If you use electronic shutter it still takes time to scan the sensor, so even if you have shutter set to 1/1000 scan rate is much slower and so can introduce motion artefacts. Also, with the really high frame rates I believe that AF is only on the first shot, if you want AF for each shot you need 10fps or slower for mechanical shutter or 18fps or slower for electronic shutter IIRC.

If you took RAW+Jpeg (I recommend for Olympus cameras) what do the Jpegs look like regarding sharpness?
What do the RAWs look like put though Olympus-Viewer3 instead of Lightroom?

Thanks Snerkler, I will check those settings. I was using the mechanical shutter; I selected high speed but didn't check for any sub settings there so I will check how to dial that down.

Ulfric, I have downloaded my card to Lightroom. At one point, I just reset and didn't remember to reset to RAW for a short while while we were at the coast. I have a small laptop with me this weekend and it seems that these images are a little bit noisier than my Canon ones. I may be able to do something about that when I get home.

So, we will head out with the camera again tomorrow. Hopefully, I will fare better with it tomorrow.
If anybody else has any advice, it would be very welcome.

They'll definitely be noisier than FF unfortunately.

So, I thought I would ask here first. We have been lucky enough to get Wimbledon tickets for the first Monday and I was thinking of just taking my Oly with a 12 - 200 f4. Anybody out there done this - maybe with an earlier model?

Sharpness should be adequate but the best FF systems (with a good lens) will probably edge MFT sharpness wise as the smaller sensor pictures will need to be magnified more. As to noise, the camera should be useable at ISO's that would have been considered Voodoo a few years ago especially for a smaller sensor system.

Back