Olympus Trip 35

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Pretty excited to have taken delivery of my new Olympus Trip 35 today. Wanted one of these for ages and decided to go all out and get one that'd been serviced and pimped out with a brown leather skin.

I'm by no means a product photographer but tried my hand at a little OCF setup nonetheless. The hardest part was eliminating the glare from the flash on the shiny bits of the camera - maybe a polariser would have been an idea?

Setup

- Olympus placed on black ceramic tile with another tile used as backdrop.

- 2x Yongnuo 568 EXii Flashes & wireless triggers.

- Both flashes snooted & at 1/16th.

- 1 upper high left of camera & 1 facing subject.

Any feedback or crit would be great! (y)

Olympus Trip 35 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Last edited:
'Tis a thing of beauty.

I'm no expert, but when I do any sort of product photo I take the opposite approach. Big softbox and big reflectors as close as possible to subject. Snoots and grids only to highlight one detail.

That's a wonderful camera.

Looks a little dark my my Mac.

Is that the flash around the lens?

Cheers.

Cheers Andy - maybe could do with a little exposure boost in post. Any more oomph from the flashes was causing crazy glare from the metal.

Those are selenium cells around the lens - like solar panels. A massive plus as that means you never need to worry about batteries.....but on the flipside if they break then the whole camera is goosed.

'Tis a thing of beauty.

I'm no expert, but when I do any sort of product photo I take the opposite approach. Big softbox and big reflectors as close as possible to subject. Snoots and grids only to highlight one detail.

That would definitely have been the preferred method Simon - I thought about breaking out the shoot through brollies but decided to try and direct the light with snoots rather than spread and soften it......maybe a mistake in hindsight.

Lovely. Just don't forget how delicate these lovely cameras are. One good knock and they are goosed. My dear lady got through three of them.
I do believe there is a story of David Bailey throwing one at a wall, a sponsored one of course, because it had let him down.

Lovely. Just don't forget how delicate these lovely cameras are. One good knock and they are goosed. My dear lady got through three of them.
I do believe there is a story of David Bailey throwing one at a wall, a sponsored one of course, because it had let him down.

First investment is going to be a nice padded case and a wrist strap - just in case :)

You've just reminded me of this advert:

Pretty excited to have taken delivery of my new Olympus Trip 35 today. Wanted one of these for ages and decided to go all out and get one that'd been serviced and pimped out with a brown leather skin.

I'm by no means a product photographer but tried my hand at a little OCF setup nonetheless. The hardest part was eliminating the glare from the flash on the shiny bits of the camera - maybe a polariser would have been an idea?

Setup

- Olympus placed on black ceramic tile with another tile used as backdrop.

- 2x Yongnuo 568 EXii Flashes & wireless triggers.

- Both flashes snooted & at 1/16th.

- 1 upper high left of camera & 1 facing subject.

Any feedback or crit would be great! (y)

Olympus Trip 35 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr
Danny, a fantastic shot of an iconic camera. Do put some film through it the 40mm Zuiko is a great lens that IMHO lets this compact punch well above its weight, in every sense

Danny, a fantastic shot of an iconic camera. Do put some film through it the 40mm Zuiko is a great lens that IMHO lets this compact punch well above its weight, in every sense

Thanks Adrian - I've loaded a roll of Ilford HP5+ 400 B&W so we'll see how that goes.....on the look out for some coloured filters too.

Reactions: Jao

A sponsored wall? I know he was given loads of cameras but... :coat:

Trip by mscall, on Flickr

I used a cheap eBay softbox to get this pic. I kept the DoF so shallow as the camera wasn't the best condition (also the reason for filtering it).

Might clean it up one day and have another go :)

Last edited:
Thank you Nod. I am forever in your debt.
I see you have a lot of posts!!!

Back