Beginner OM 10 photos blury?

Edit My Images
No
Hi!
I just got my first rolls of film developed and they are both quite blury :(

I shot on an Olympus OM 10, does anyone know what the problem could be and how i fix it?

It sounds like you have a focussing or camera-shake issue.

1. What focal length, shutter speed and aperture were you shooting at?
2. Are you sure you are focussing correctly?

There are quite a few possibilities. Maybe you didn't focus correctly on the subject. Maybe the shutter speed wasn't high enough to freeze 'camera shake' (the slight movement of your hands and therefore the camera while the photo is being taken). Maybe the shutter speed wasn't high enough to freeze the movement of the subject (assuming it was moving). Maybe there's some technical problem with your camera or lens. This article was written for digital photographers, but most of it applies to film:

https://www.michaelfrye.com/2018/10/31/five-causes-of-blurry-photos/

If you'd like to post some scans, that might give us a better idea of what might have gone wrong. Your OM 10 sets the shutter speed automatically, depending on the light level, the film ISO and the aperture you have set. If you've been shooting in dim (e.g. indoor) light with low ISO film or with the aperture stopped down to f/11 or something, the camera may not be able to set a high enough shutter speed for sharp handheld photos. Try some shots outdoors in good light with ISO 400 film, middle apertures and careful focusing. Try some shots on a tripod if you have one. Try different lenses if you have more than one.

Showing some images will help with identifying the issue

With the OM 10 camera the aperture is set by the photographer and the camera then chooses the shutter speed. Without seeing one or two examples of the photos you've taken I can't be certain, but my suspicion is that you've probably set a fairly small aperture (f/8 or f/11) and used a 100 or 200 ISO film, and the camera has been selecting shutter speed such as 1/30 and 1/60 second, in which case, the blur you are seeing is probably caused by camera shake?

As a rough rule of thumb, depending on how steadily you can hold a camera (and this does vary between individual people), try to use shutter speeds of 1/125 or faster when shooting hand held with a lens of 50mm or above - the longer the focal length of the lens, the higher the shutter speed needs to be to avoid camera shake.

If you post a couple of example shots we should be able to see if it is the above, or another issue. With film photography, generally speaking (there are some exceptions) you are stuck with shooting at the ISO of the film you've loaded in the camera. If you want to use smaller apertures for increased focus 'depth of field' and it's a dull day then you'll need a faster film (400 ISO or above) so you can use shutter speeds fast enough to avoid camera shake if shooting hand held, either that or you'll have to open the aperture up more to achieve a faster shutter speed. With DSLRs, the ISO will usually automatically increase to compensate for a smaller aperture and a high-ish shutter speed; film doesn't usually give you that option, so choosing the right film for the particular circumstances is part of the art of film photography.

The Film and Conventional section of this forum is full of experienced film photographers and I'm sure a lot of them would be only too pleased to help you get some good, sharp photos from your camera. However, quite a few of them don't venture into the non film sections of the forum, so may not see this post. So perhaps give the F&C section a try and post any film photography related questions you have there, and I'm sure you'll get some good tips and suggestions.

Hope this is helpful, and stick with it, film photography is great fun, but it can be a cruel mistress at times and doesn't give the margin for error that modern DLSRs often do. So don't give up yet, it's just a matter of leaning a few new skills. (y)

Last edited:
The Film and Conventional section of this forum is full of experienced film photographers and I'm sure a lot of them would be only too pleased to help you get some good, sharp photos from your camera. However, quite a few of them don't venture into the non film sections of the forum, so may not see this post.

This is very true and I've only come across this post cos I'm keeping tracks on you Mr Badger! :exit::LOL:

OP……..Post up some pics like the others have mentioned and we will be able to offer more precise help.

It might also be possible that the camera has the manual adapter fitted and that this was overriding at aperture priority setting?

@jgouldth If one is fitted, the Manual Adapter will be plugged in to the front of the camera to the left of the lens (looking from the top). You can use this to select the shutter speed used manually, so it's possible (if fitted) that this is set to a slow speed. You can activate / deactivate the manual adapter by sliding the small switch at the base of the ASA dial.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the OM10 is a VERY old camera and is manual focus only.

Unless they were shooting from the hip they would have had to look through the viewfinder though, and they would presumably have noticed that that was blurry too if the lens hadn't been focussed.
not necessarily if it's split screen focus he may not know how to use it?

Theres another possible cause the pressure plate inside the camera may be damaged in some way or the spring too weak weak to press the film across the gate. More lightly shutter speed though.

Back