Om-d em10ii EVF issue

Name
Kate
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey there, I’ve had an em10ii for coming up to two years in jan. Mainly use it for holidays but it’s had a fair bit of use and until now I’ve loved it. Last night however, I was taking some photos and the EVF was working fine one minute, and the next it just black out. The sensor still works as the LCD screen goes off, just seems as if the EVF doesn’t switch on. I didn’t drop the camera or anything so I don’t know why it’s done this - it occasionally works but each time it stops working is for a longer period of time if that makes sense.

The only thing I can think is that I’d had the screen tilted out during some of the photos I was taking, have I done something to the connection? Gutted as I very rarely use the LCD screen when using the camera. Anyone else experienced anything like this and can offer some help please?

Did a google and somepeople have the magnet dropping out that causes it,but 1 guy it wasnt that and hes still unsure why.any joy yet?

Plus did you try this
There is a small, silver button (with a tiny |o| icon) just to the right of the eyecup. Try pressing and holding it for a few seconds, and see what happens --- or maybe try pressing it a few times. If it's what I think it is, an "EVF Auto switch" menu will pop up. Make sure that "EVF Auto Switch" is set to ON.

No joy yet :,(

The only ‘progress’ is that I was just having a play around with it and looked into the EVF to find that it suddenly worked, then while I was looking it sort of ‘crackled’ and a load of lines went across it, before it black out again - think that would suggest it’s connectivity-related though, and would explain why it’s occasionally working?

I had a google too but didn’t seem to find much that related exactly to this issue. Gutted because I’d been toying with the idea of upgrading all my kit to Nikon and then had a change of heart and just bought a couple of new lenses over on the classifieds section. Currently abroad so I haven’t been home to play with the new lenses and now this has happened. [emoji30]

Plus did you try this
There is a small, silver button (with a tiny |o| icon) just to the right of the eyecup. Try pressing and holding it for a few seconds, and see what happens --- or maybe try pressing it a few times. If it's what I think it is, an "EVF Auto switch" menu will pop up. Make sure that "EVF Auto Switch" is set to ON.

Thanks - I just checked that and it was set to ‘on’ already. Tried the age-old classic of switching it off and on again just to be sure but sadly didn’t change anything.

Thanks - I just checked that and it was set to ‘on’ already. Tried the age-old classic of switching it off and on again just to be sure but sadly didn’t change anything.
Oh dear.worth a try. Maybe someone will be along who knows,prob most still asleep lol

Thanks for your help - really appreciate it. I’ll just sit here and cry until another suggestion is made ;-)

Is it still under warranty?
Edit no i guess not 2 years owned

I was literally just googling that, I have a funny feeling it’s a no. I didn’t buy any additional warranty and it’s almost two years old, manufacturers warranty is usually a year? Knowing my luck it will be long expired!

Yes usually a year but john lewis is 2

Bloody hell, the only time I’ve ever not bought something from JL. Got this from Jessops as there was an offer on at the time. I remember the guy trying to flog me extended warranty and I declined, bet he’s laughing now!

I thought Olympus was 2 years?

I thought Olympus was 2 years?

You could be right, i had a quick look at their website (admittedly not a very thorough one) and could only see an option to purchase extended warranty. I’ll take another look!

My EM-10 Mki came with a 2 year warranty from Olympus which I extended to 2 year and 6 months by registering online at My Olympus.
According to My Olympus mine runs out in February next year.

I don't know how late you can register but if you still have proof of purchase then it would be worth a try.
https://my.olympus-consumer.com/

I've also read great stuff about Olympus repairs so even if it's not covered any more it would be worth speaking to them.

I was literally just googling that, I have a funny feeling it’s a no. I didn’t buy any additional warranty and it’s almost two years old, manufacturers warranty is usually a year? Knowing my luck it will be long expired!
You do have consumer rights outside the guarantee period.

Kewri,hows it going?

It's weirdly started working a little more frequently again... not sure why. It isn't all the time but if I'm using the camera I always check the EVF and sometimes it flickers on! Not holding out hope though - just got back to Christchurch from my trip away so going to spend my day at work researching and contacting Olympus I think!

Update: According to my account on MyOlympus (that I just set up), the warranty expires in January, but then there's also a 6 month extended warranty! Basically the luckiest I've ever been - going to enquire about getting a repair done as every since I said the EVF had started working a bit more, it's completely stopped!

I steer clear of Olympus products personally. Their quality control seems to be a bit 'Italian'. Panasonic's seems to be a bit more 'German' - and their customer service likewise. That's based on my limited experience, but it was quite clear-cut.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've not read many good things about Olympus' support services but I will say that until now, the camera has been excellent. I am considering selling everything and moving to Nikon but still can't justify the cost of doing so just yet... one day!

Yeah, I've not read many good things about Olympus' support services but I will say that until now, the camera has been excellent. I am considering selling everything and moving to Nikon but still can't justify the cost of doing so just yet... one day!

With Nikon you normally only get 12 months warranty so Olympus cant be all bad ;)

Digressing a bit here, but I took JL up on their two year warranty recently with a Galaxy S7 phone which had gone wrong.
Took it in to the store it was bought from, tech help people booked it in to send away for repair.

Didn't hear anything for a few weeks so rang up to enquire how long it might be getting fixed.
Cut a long story short it had got lost and gave me the choice of a refund or new phone.

Moral of the story is yes they do live up their reputation for customer service and that extra year is worth having

Last edited:
Back