OM1 or OM40?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted another thread earlier today about my OM10 on its way out. I ran a roll through it today, and when I opened the back afterwards some of the foam seal around the edges had come away and stuck to the back of the camera so I suspect there may be some light leakage as well. I'll check on Monday when I process the film.

However, I think I'll probably replace it anyway. I am trying to decide between a classic, all manual OM1 or the OM40 which I think was pretty well built for a double-digit model.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The OM1 and OM2 have the largest viewfinders. So I'd go for the OM1 if you don't mind the lack of an aperture priority mode or OTF metering for long-time exposures.

Besides, the OM1 is fully mechanical, so a good camera mechanic should be able to service it again and again and again.

Last edited:
I posted another thread earlier today about my OM10 on its way out.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

its only on its way out if you want it to be ,,,otherwise sort the light seals and foam out ,easy and cheap

I've owned the OM-40 and i still own an OM-1n, even though the OM-1n is broken.
Personally i'd get the OM-40, it's more comfortable to hold with its rubber grip, a bit lighter, comes in black, has manual, aperture priority and a program mode, exposure compensation, a built in hot shoe, overall it's a much nicer camera to use than the OM-1, it has enough useful stuff but not enough that it gets in the way.

The only drawback if you care about it is that you need batteries for it to work, but it takes modern alkaline so you can get them on ebay or 7dayshop for quid or two, where the OM-1 used mercury for its meter so you'd need to use more expensive batteries or get an adapter to use it with modern batteries.

Like a lot of older SLR's you might need to replace the light seals, as you've encountered with the OM-10, just get a Lightslice kit for your chosen model on ebay. They may look expensive for a bit of foam but having cut my own before i'd happily pay for some pre-cut ones now.

The OM40 is a good camera, managed to get one through a friend 5 years back, with 3 lenses. It is the only Olympus I have, and I do not regret acquiring it.
If you have a look further down the page here, dd1989 has also posted re the OM40.

If you have a look further down the page here, dd1989 has also posted re the OM40.

Yeah i was the one who advised him (in the TP IRC chat room) to get the OM-40, he got it from Rocky Cameras for £20 i believe.

Bit of a gamble, then ? I only learned about Rocky Cameras from here, so I had a look last week. I do not think I would bother again. Can you get bargains at times, though.?

I loved that comment about Rocky Cameras "It was like looking into a skip from the comfort of your own living room" :LOL:

I do use Rocky Cameras from time to time but then i know what to look for and have low expectations for the goods, to be fair he is always willing to refund stuff you don't like or doesn't arrived as described. It's not any worse than eBay really.

dd1989's OM-40 was in good working order once he got the new batteries in, they still have a couple of OM-40's on there for £20, look like they have some brassing by the strap lugs.

I spoke with Rocky today and got in writing from his his commitment to refund if stuff wasn't as described. I'm only spending £40 or so it isn't the end of the world.

Ordered an OM40, some flash guns and bits. Ordered a 50mm prime from ebay though - I thought it looked better.

The test roll came back ok on the OM10 actually, so my son is staking a claim on that!!

Given the choice, I'd go for the OM1n over the OM40... I'll admit to giving it my blessing partly for nostalgic reasons though! ;)

If your budget will stretch a little, try to find a decent OM2n. It's a much nicer camera all round.

Cheers,
Si

It has always been my perception that the OMx's were better built than the OMx0's, although I've never had an OM10 or 40.

I can vouch for the OM1 2 and 4s though, never had an OM3 unfortunately.

Last edited:
john-oh said:
It has always been my perception that the OMx's were better built then the OMx0's, although I've never had an OM10 or 40.

I can vouch for the OM1 2 and 4s though, never had an OM3 unfortunately.
It's a shame the om3-s are so rare. Apparently, it is the best of both worlds the om1 and om2 have to offer with a fully mechanical shutter. Prices for the titanium versions are pretty insane.

Ordered an OM40, some flash guns and bits. Ordered a 50mm prime from ebay though - I thought it looked better

Sure you already know this but don't forget the OM-40 needs batteries to work, so put some fresh ones in the camera as soon as you get it, takes 2xAG13 if i remember correctly.

I've heard people say that but when you can get a pack of 10 for a few quid it's not really an issue.

And not very long is still a lot longer than any digital contraption

Got the OM40, a couple of flashes etc through from Rocky today. Mechanically all seems well and there is new foam on the camera which is nice.

Ran a roll through it so I'll see how it comes out ...

Back