OM2n - cannot fire shutter or wind advance

Name
SJ
Edit My Images
Yes
I was shooting in London today with my OM2n and suddenly the shutter just wouldn't fire....I'm not sure if it tried to, as in a long exposure, but I was using about f8-f11 because of the sunny conditions and in aperture priority.

There are about 6-7 frames left in the film - I'm not too worried about losing them but I don't want to lose the 30 that I've taken already.

If I open the back, will I only lose the unused film or do I risk the whole roll being destroyed?

Thanks everyone

Pretty sure this will be a battery issue, as mine does the same. A change of batteries should be enough to get you through to the end of the film, but might suggest a longer term issue?

Last edited:
I was shooting in London today with my OM2n and suddenly the shutter just wouldn't fire....I'm not sure if it tried to, as in a long exposure, but I was using about f8-f11 because of the sunny conditions and in aperture priority.

There are about 6-7 frames left in the film - I'm not too worried about losing them but I don't want to lose the 30 that I've taken already.

If I open the back, will I only lose the unused film or do I risk the whole roll being destroyed?

Thanks everyone

Replace the battery, as Peter says. Don't open the back of the camera or you'll lose all the frames already shot. If you do need to rewind the film, twist the little rewind knob on the front of the camera (above the self-timer lever), and you'll then be able to use the rewind crank to reel the exposed film back into the canister.

Thanks Peter / Nige - that did fix it and it worked fine after I changed the batteries. Hopefully the issue is just this and nothing else...

More than likely just that. The shutter on the OM2n is electronically controlled. If you can't remember the last time you changed the batteries, it's always the first port of call.

Thanks - I can't even remember the last time I changed the batteries and it's easy to forget to switch off or the lever can get a knock and move to Auto/On accidentally.

I love the size and the lenses but my FE2 has a much better system where you have to half-cock the winder to engage the meter.

Back