OMG New iPad with WiFi 64GB - White

I use PiRAWhna and iPhoto mainly, both very good!

The iPad 1 is still great, my OH inherited mine when I bought the iPad 3 and it's still going strong!

iPad 1 is indeed more than adequate for what I require - yes I would like the higher res screen, but not worth the upgrade. I'm just peeved with not being able to use iPhoto and seeing a speed decrease over the last 6 months for no apparent reason :|

Lostgear said:
Keep the Ipad and buy an Iphone 4s, this will have GPS and a better camera. Photo stream will put the geotagged phone pics on the iPad automatically.

But only when the iPad reconnects via wi fi, if having the pics on the iPad while out and about is important this won't be ideal.

Just thinking swapping the iPad for a 3/4g one would he cheaper than paying £500 for an iPhone 4 outright!

If you wanted the 3G capability it is much more convenient to buy the 4G one to begin with. Faffing around with mifi or killing batteries on the phone too as hotspot can get annoying after a while. It is only £70 or so more and you can get 3G limit sim for under £10 that last 3 months which is plenty for the casual user.

Apple has 14 days no questions asked return policy. Use it if you want. Don't spend £600 on something you wished you got a better one later on.

whats all this Jailbreak malarky

Jailbraking allows you to use non Apple third party applications and themes etc, and use non Apple approved networks (US). It essentially opens up IOS and removes all restrictions. Obviously this will invalidate any warranty you have, if that matters.

Wifi only iPad's do have GPS, I have one and have used it for maps, etc perfectly fine.

Also, if you want data access while out and about just use your iPhone as a hot spot (if you have one that is).

Thanks again

Wifi only iPad's do have GPS, I have one and have used it for maps, etc perfectly fine.

Also, if you want data access while out and about just use your iPhone as a hot spot (if you have one that is).

Thanks I only want it for geocaching the GPS that is and photo goetagging

I going to get a manual PDF then I can read up on it

BritRich said:

This is incorrect. You can use maps etc with wifi as it uses wifi connections to interpret where u are. It does not work as well as gps though.

The wifi version definitely does not have gps.

mike_6480 said:
This is incorrect. You can use maps etc with wifi as it uses wifi connections to interpret where u are. It does not work as well as gps though.

See here on the apple site (under location):
http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/specs/

This shows that the wifi only version doesn't have gps only the cellular version does

mike_6480 said:

I stand corrected then, I always thought the iPad wifi version did have gps and assumed (sorry) mine wouldn't be using wifi to get position. Seems it does.

BritRich said:
Thanks, well seems I was told the wrong information in the store I bought it from then!

Take it back and demand one with gps for the same price ;-)

Dave, I also have a Three MiFi which I use. It's a battery powered dongle that allows devices to connect to it via wifi. It's brilliant, but the battery life isn't amazing. Don't get me wrong it'll last a few hours, it won't let you geocache though. I know nothing about cameras, but a hell of a lot about Apple products. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Just Dave said:

That's the one, although, mine is the previous model. I put a One Plan sim in mine, which has unlimited data. They told me it doesn't work, but I can assure you mines still going strong. Can't see any reason for it to have stopped. They do the One Plan on a 30 day rolling contract now too, so if it doesn't work just cancel it. Failing that, find yourself a cheap Android phone, root the bugger, and use it as a hotspot. Three allow tethering, but they don't like you using it in their MiFis. I see no difference tbh.

Little known fact... If you use Bluetooth to "tether" the wifi iPad with an iPhone 4 or 4S, you will not only get the data connection but access to the iPhone gps as well.

It works quite well BUT the location updates are like once a minute instead of every second with built-in GPS. So it's ok for geotagging photos or checking where you are but no good for moving / navigating.

And yes, it seems to be an iPhone specific feature - one which they should advertise a bit more though.

Thanks vaizki. I dont have an iphone

Ill have to stick with my garmin brick for geocaching then

Its not arrived as yet carpets all worn out :LOL:

To be honest I wouldn't want to take my iPad out geocaching anyway, the iPhone app is good, but it is actually more fun with an old school GPS.

shifted to computers :)

There's a thread with loads of input on apps. My personal preference for editing is Snapseed, and Photosmith is worth a look if you use Lightroom.

I don't really think the iPad is the best tool for editing raw images, it hasn't really got the processing power and the screen is too small.

There's a thread with loads of input on apps. My personal preference for editing is Snapseed, and Photosmith is worth a look if you use Lightroom.

I don't really think the iPad is the best tool for editing raw images, it hasn't really got the processing power and the screen is too small.

Thanks very much Ill have a look for the thread, are Snapseed, and Photosmith free Aps, I only want to do minor editing, whilst on holiday, or out and about, maybe I should just shoot raw and jpg now, although that effects the FR, Ill save my proper editing for later at home

Dave.....I don't wanna be funny or anything but, reading this thread I gotta say, this thing doesn't appear to do anything at all that you want it to do.
But, I'm admiring your enthusiasm for something that sounds absolutely useless..:)

Last edited:
Dave.....I don't wanna be funny or anything but, reading this thread I gotta say, this thing doesn't appear to do anything at all that you want it to do.
But, I'm admiring your enthusiasm for something that sounds absolutely useless..:)

Of course it does I'll it for surfing, mail keeping in touch with family, Im just asking questions about it as its my first apple product, the wife well happy surfing away in the lounge, as we speak not seen her all night so it is useful :D

There's the TP app too, rarely use the website these days.

But seriously, there's a whole thread off app suggestions in the computers etc sub forum which is well worth a read.

Just Dave said:
What other APs are useful for a photographer to have please

iPhoto. £2.99 but very good.

Back