On/Off Camera Flash practice

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
You are getting very good with the white background. I cannot get it correct and have given up.

From the set I like no2 for composition followed by 3 the best. No4 need a bit of WB correction.

Thanks Kev, I can get it pretty close in camera now with one flash on the bg, but it needs two really to save time editing - I have a room with white walls so it's quick ti set up. Number 4 was single flash, bounced, so all the background was sorted out in ACR/PhotoShop - he's actually sitting on the kitchen table, with a radiator and magnolia wall behind him...More PS fiddling than lighting set up, it was just something I wanted to try, though I won't be doing it again. I want to get a paper roll so I can take this sort of shot and not need to do much pp - probably need to invest in another flash too.

As shot from RAW at default settings:

IMG_1470_raw as shot by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

I see what you mean about white balance, and I've warmed it up a bit..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AK8ELB]IMG_1470e4 by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr[/URL]

The others, using flash on manual set to full power on the bg (camera left on small tripod angled at about 30 degrees to the wall and pointing up slightly) were much nearer in camera - with some quick dodging where the background wasn't totally blown.

What set up are/were you using? What issues were you having? It's taken me a few months to get where I am and advice from people on TP has really helped. They may be able to help you, and if I have any suggestions I'd be happy to pass on any tips.

Eta: as a comparison this was taken yesterday. First shot is straight from the raw file and the second just had minor adjustments made.

IMG_1611_raw as shot by -Ian J Bradshaw-

IMG_1611 by -Ian J Bradshaw-

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

Thank you for a detailed reply. Now I see where the blue cast is coming from on no4.

I have not had a chance to try OCF with one pointing at the wall. I need to buy a second stand but am undecided which route to go. I want to get one that I can use going forward if and when I get some proper lights.

Been very busy at work so dont get a chance to have a play with the camera, hopefully during the holidays my get some use.

Kev

Nailed them! I'm really enjoying watching your progress.

fwiw I think the warmed up #4 is now a little too warm.

Something you might like to try, just for interest's sake: I've found it easier to get an even white background in a small space by illuminating the diffuser from a 5-in-1 reflector from behind, using a shoot-through umbrella, or using daylight through a net curtain in front of a large window. Might work for you, might not.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for a detailed reply. Now I see where the blue cast is coming from on no4.

I have not had a chance to try OCF with one pointing at the wall. I need to buy a second stand but am undecided which route to go. I want to get one that I can use going forward if and when I get some proper lights.

Been very busy at work so dont get a chance to have a play with the camera, hopefully during the holidays my get some use.

Kev

No problem Kev. I used the second flash on the wall previously just standing on the floor on the little attachment you get with them, I now use a tripod I picked up in a charity shop, just to lift it so the light is where I need it. The main light is also on a charity shop tripod, both were a fiver.

Can't get that shot right for WB, others in the set were fine so no idea what I've done and cba trying to fix it now.

Hope you try again when you get the time.

Nailed them! I'm really enjoying watching your progress.

fwiw I think the warmed up #4 is now a little too warm.

Something you might like to try, just for interest's sake: I've found it easier to get an even white background in a small space by illuminating the diffuser from a 5-in-1 reflector from behind, using a shoot-through umbrella, or using daylight through a net curtain in front of a large window. Might work for you, might not.

Thanks for the kind words, Simon. I think I'm heading in the right direction thanks to you and others providing advice over the last few months. Just hope you're not getting sick of shots of the little man!!

I need to get a reflector as this is something I'm missing. I saw your post where you used this set up, hadn't occurred to me to try something like this. Good window light and net curtains is not something I have at home, but might be round at other members of the family so will keep an eye out when I visit next.

i like your sense of adventure...initially i chose no 3 with a slight crop to the top and just below the legs...of the stool
but i would ask if you could tell me how you did this one...its the best of the lot

www by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr
this is on my flikr and i will delete it after i get your reply...if that is ok
cheers
geof

i like your sense of adventure...initially i chose no 3 with a slight crop to the top and just below the legs...of the stool
but i would ask if you could tell me how you did this one...its the best of the lot

www by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr
this is on my flikr and i will delete it after i get your reply...if that is ok
cheers
geof

No problem Geof, not sure if you mean how/where it was shot (if so this is further up the page) or the PP work? Guessing PP, which was mostly done in ACR using the adjustment brush (max exposure and max brightness) to get the white background, then into PS to clone out any bits that needed tidying up. Have the Auto Mask option ticked when using the adjustment brush. It works fairly well but you get better control using dodge tool in PS when going round hair (I didn't and if you zoom in you can see this).

Last edited:
dd
No problem Geoff, not sure if you mean how/where it was shot (if so this is further up the page) or the PP work? Guessing PP, which was mostly done in ACR using the adjustment brush (max exposure and max brightness) to get the white background, then into PS to clone out any bits that needed tidying up. Have the Auto Mask option ticked when using the adjustment brush. It works fairly well but you get better control using dodge tool in PS when going round hair (I didn't and if you zoom in you can see this).

dohh...i have a lot to learn...:(
what is ACRfff

photo now taken off flikr

thanks

I am guessing but wonder if ACR stands for Adobe Camera Raw?

I was right but beaten to the answer.

Last edited:
Just to add Geof, it really isn't difficult and doesn't take long at all to do. As long as there is decent contrast between the subject and the lighter background the auto mask is pretty good. Depends if you have PhotoShop as to whether you have ACR or not i guess, but you can edit JPG files using it you don't have to shoot raw, though you'll have less 'data' to play with so the end result may not be quite as good as doing it from raw.

Back