On reflection

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first post and will be grateful for any feedback :)

DSC_0105a.jpg

The shot is of the entrance to Blenheim Palace reflected in the flagstones.

DSC_0105a.jpg

Yes, I looked at this for a long time.

IMVHO, flip it and make it colour.

But then I spose it would be an ordinary reflection, so just make it colour.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

I guess the reason I preferred b/w over colour was it seemed to give the picture a rather impressionistic feel. I'll put the pic up in colour and see how it looks :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment, very much appreciated ��

Hmm, wow. I have to say, I would like the color version better except for the variation in color at the bottom right corner. But I think you are right; the b/w version works much better!

Rustico said:
Hmm, wow. I have to say, I would like the color version better except for the variation in color at the bottom right corner. But I think you are right; the b/w version works much better!

That's a plant and plant pot bottom right!

Glad you like it though :)

doesn't work for me i'm afraid. The stones on the floor have that upside down feeling which feels a little weird to me. Hard to make out what the reflection is too. Sorry if this is a little harsh, and it's only as it was marked for serious crit. Nice idea though.

lfc1892 said:
doesn't work for me i'm afraid. The stones on the floor have that upside down feeling which feels a little weird to me. Hard to make out what the reflection is too. Sorry if this is a little harsh, and it's only as it was marked for serious crit. Nice idea though.

Thank you for your honesty. Any advice for next time or generally capturing reflections?

Forbiddenbiker said:
Not for me either, its just odd looking. I didn't even see the refelction at first. However I do think the idea is class, so maybe next time a full clarity reflection that dominates and demands to be viewed as the main subject, would make it work.

I do agree and it is a shame I didn't manage to capture a crisper reflection :(

I'll have another go and try to get a better reflection, just need it to rain now!

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

an upside down shot which could be enhanced by rotating 180* and doing some cropping
cheers
geof

sorry i got that wrong...its the image being near the bottom which led me into that opinion
may need to do an edit just to see how wrong i was

Last edited:
mrtoad said:
an upside down shot which could be enhanced by rotating 180* and doing some cropping
cheers
geof

sorry i got that wrong...its the image being near the bottom which led me into that opinion
may need to do an edit just to see how wrong i was

Would love to see what you come up with :)

Would love to see what you come up with :)
couldnt really improve on any of the two...just cloning out the edge stuff

the colour one has more potential in toning changes and other pp methods..hdr for instance
cheers
geof

lfc1892 said:
In the case of this one, I just think it would have been better a little more wet. Just to show a little more detail. It's quite abstract as it is, and that will appeal to many, but purely subjectively, i'd want a little more clarity.

I would have to agree with you I would have liked a little more rain. I also think I missed a trick not bringing the reflection into focus and letting the camera focus on the flag stones!

Thank you.

Back