On Site Printing

Name
Ashley
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding printing on site...

Ive been asked to shoot on location, and ill be shooting alot of different people that will then want prints.... do i take address' and send them the photos or do i print onsite?

Printing onsite will mean havin to invest in a high quality printer for the event.

Suggestions are welcome :)

Ash

Email. I went to a wedding and at the evening do he had the photos on a projector as a slide show. If you liked one you paid him £10 and he emailed it to you full res. Mine was on my computer when I got home.

There are several threads on this exact subject on the site at the moment.

I think a DyeSub printer and assistant is probably your way forward..This is just the start without know all the specifics....

Email is a great solution as it keeps costs down.

the only problem is a dye sub printer is time, as you would have to connect the camera or memory card every time you wanted to print, and this would slow the process down. :(

the only problem is a dye sub printer is time, as you would have to connect the camera or memory card every time you wanted to print, and this would slow the process down. :(

True but imagine the time and money an ink leakage/spill could cost you if an inkjet was used.

I am sure if you conferred with some of the event photographer regaulers on here ( Snapzz, Mike Weeks, etc) , you may find it is not such an issue with a dye sub.

Last edited:
There are of course many ways to do this, but unless there's a good reason not to, printing on site is IMHO by far the most effective.

The issue that you have is whether you'll be doing this again. If not, then the purchase of a dye sub won't usually be justified for a single event. I wouldn't even consider doing it with an ink jet.

If however the job is repeatable in the future, or you can see other markets / jobs for it's use, then speak with Mr Amies and get yourself a decent dyesub.

Don't you just shoot tethered? Or are you thinking photos would be taken casually throughout the event?

Even casual photos can be wirelessly transmitted back to the selling station. If this is a longer term thing I believe that if you follow the Photomart link at the top for training a date for early next year is being arranged in your area.
Jeremys advice is spot on and there is a further option in that you might be able to find an event photographer to partner up with you.
Mike

It is also worth mentioning that you can hire dye sub photo printers.

Back