On The Buses

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am trying to create a series from bus journeys. This series is something to keep my mojo going and to get out and about. Fot the price of a day saver £4.10, i can go on a nice route around Manchester.

I will try and keep this thead updated from time to time. My camera is a nice Black Fuji x100T and I will use the TCL and WCL. I am trying to keep to B&W but if something deserves colour i will include it.

Hope this might be of some interest.

From The 231 by L D Middleton, on Flickr

From The 169 by L D Middleton, on Flickr

From The 216 by L D Middleton, on Flickr

From the 231 by L D Middleton, on Flickr

From the 231 by L D Middleton, on Flickr

From The 169 by L D Middleton, on Flickr

Lee

Last edited:
Great idea and plenty of material. Looks like you are off to a good start.

+1

…but don't forget the story telling!

Thanks for looking, Kodiak Qc, sorry but i dont know your real name. Storytelling is something i need to work on, both for this series and my street photos. I am more worried about people's reactions on the bus than on the street due to the confines of the bus. Practice, practice and more practice and being bolder.

Thanks for looking, Kodiak Qc, sorry but i dont know your real name.
Kodiak is ok.
Storytelling is something i need to work on, both for this series and my street photos. I am more worried about people's reactions on the bus than on the street due to the confines of the bus. Practice, practice and more practice and being bolder.
Being bold is one thing where you should have a stature
if not, cleverness and stealth may be a solution…

Great idea & set Lee, I'll be really interested to follow this thread.(y)

George.

And you have yourself another follower of this thread. Not having a car anymore I rarely shoot, so maybe it will help me too.
You are of to a great start already, I really like the light and dark contrasts in #4 and #5 (y)

Hmm, i have a lot to learn. Least i am getting out and about and learning.

Interesting Concept.
2/3 years ago I tried this type of shooting for one day. I just hopped into a double decker from the originating point and tried to shoot from the window. The outcome wasn't very pleasing to my eyes, so I abandoned the idea. I never tried to photograph inside the bus.

Keep up the good work.
Regards.

I really like the light…

…and, Lee, I dig the care you put in your renditions:
great tonal range and consistent approach to rendition.

Thank again for commenting. Derek I live in Droylsden. Kodiak, I just upload jpegs to Flickr and use the in built aviary? software and tweak a bit. Contrast up and brightness down. My monitor isnt a decent one either. I need to invest in a half decent computer and screen. Might be a week before getting on the bus again due to working.

Thank again for commenting. Derek I live in Droylsden. Kodiak, I just upload jpegs to Flickr and use the in built aviary? software and tweak a bit. Contrast up and brightness down. My monitor isnt a decent one either. I need to invest in a half decent computer and screen. Might be a week before getting on the bus again due to working.

Nearer than I thought as I also live Droylsden.

Lee, fantastic subject for a project.
A real slice of life could be portrayed through this project.
I feel you are missing an ingredient here and that is people. Engage with the other passengers, hear their story, make their portrait.
I think this would really bring the project to life IMHO.

Hiya Iain, i have been thinking of trying some portraits of the passengers. Your portrait images are inspirational. My only concern is the enclosed space on a bus, i have just got my Fuji SP 1 printer so armed with that and x100T i might just brave it and ask a pensioner as i might get a better response. Its the sense of awkwardness on my part that is holding me back. Would the 50mm equivalent tele converter be a okay or just the 35mm equivalent whilst being on the bus. Something to practice at home first to judge the range.

I am not sure where this project will go or end but i realise it needs something extra.

Thanks again for looking and commenting, this is exactly what i need, warts and all.

Last edited:
Hiya Iain, i have been thinking of trying some portraits of the passengers. Your portrait images are inspirational. My only concern is the enclosed space on a bus, i have just got my Fuji SP 1 printer so armed with that and x100T i might just brave it and ask a pensioner as i will hopefully feel more likely to get a friendlier

I think if you were to make the same journey a few times, at the same time too, you will meet regulars who use the service.
If you have your camera visible, they'll get to know you as the bloke with the camera. Its then just a small step to asking to make their portrait.
My suggestion wasn't to steer you away from your intended project, the essence of it should remain, I just think that people are what I would think of if someone were to mention a bus journey.

Portraits don't have to be tightly framed headshots. Your project is about bus travel. The 35mm equivalent lens will be fine for including the environment in portraits. Wider might be even better in some cases.

As @Ed Sutton Dave said Lee, the equivalent lens is just fine for environmental portraits.
I think for the aesthetic in your project, tightly framed headshots may seem a little out of place sitting amongst your other images.
A sense of place is key with your project I feel, the viewer knowing, seeing or sensing its on the bus is the essence of your project.
Good luck Lee, as for where your project is going or where it will end, I would suggest letting it evolve and see where it takes you. It may well come to a natural conclusion at some point, I'm sure you will know when you've exhausted its potential.

Thank you again Iain and Dave, its good to hear what others think and any input is great received and taken on board. I also have the wide 28mm equivalent for my x100T. I thought that 28mm might be too wide, but reading your thoughts and ideas it may be worth trying out.

I was unsure about starting this thread but i am glad i did. The positive comments and ideas have made me want to get out more and expand my project.

Plus i need a better name than on the buses. i might do a blog or Facebook page but that's another issue altogether.

Thanks again and all the best for 2016

Last edited:
This project looks to be coming on real good Lee, It's one I shall be watching. Keep up the good work.(y)

George.

Back