On the road photo editing...

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
...i'm soon to travel round the world by bike.

I'm packing my D80, but the problem is that I'd like to shoot RAW. But i have no laptop and can't take one due to weight restrictions.

I would like to update my website though with the unprocessed images, preferbaly using Flickr (As i have the RSS feed linked to my site), is there anyway of taking the files straight off my camrea at an internet cafe and putting them on Flickr.

What are the weight restrictions? I use a Fuji Lifebook 1510D and that is superb at OTR editing. Only weighs 1 Kg too :)

I leave on monday week, no time, no money, no insurance for that kinda thing, will get rattled to pieces.

Ah, shame. Best bet would be to take the camera USB cable and upload them that way. Not sure if internet cafe's allow you to plug in though.

My first choice would be a Asus EEE PC with an external HD (about £350 all up), but failing that, there are programs that you can get for your PDA (asuming it runs windows mobile) that can do this sort of thing.

Other then that you limited to internet cafes.

One thought may be a ipod touch (which is all flash). not sure if you can do it from this thing.

may have the wrong end of the stick here.....but do you mean getting them off camera onto the computer or do you mean converting from RAW....

Easiest way i'd say is RAW+Jpeg them take a card reader and ask nicely at the cafe...that way the RAW's will be available for editing on your return and you can post the jpegs on your travels..

superstat thats correct. Can anyone tell me if i can make my camera save a JPEG and Raw version? That would solve my problems.

Also on my D80 is there anyway i can transfer directly to an external HDD without a PC?

I'm sure the D80 will record as RAW+JPG. Canons can - RAW plus small JPG may be best.

You need something in between an HDD and the camera to act as the server. Something like the Jobo Giga One would possibly do.

If an internet cafe will let you plug in the HDD via USB you should be able to upload the small JPGs to Flickr via FTP. Being small jpgs should upload fairly quickly.

superstat thats correct. Can anyone tell me if i can make my camera save a JPEG and Raw version? That would solve my problems.

You camera should be able to do RAW+jpeg. If that is what you really want.

Your camera will not be able to transfure directly to a HDD, so you will need some kind of image storage device, which depending on if you need a screen and such can fo anywhere from £60 to £400+ (if you looking at the high end of that you might as well get a UMPC like the Asus EEE PC, or tablet PC).

Your other concirn will be how will you clearn the sensor of your D80 on the road?

Good luck Joe, I am always icredibly jealous of people doing this sort of stuff, probably 'cause I would never have the balls,cant wait to see some stuff you take, good luck again.

Hi Joe,

Be aware that broadband is a rarity outside north America, Europe, Japan, and Australia. And you need broadband to upload high-res images.
If there is no broadband, but you really need to upload pix, then you should resize them drastically before uploading.
Prepare a DVD or a USB stick (preferably both) with all the software you could need and take that with you (under 2 ounces, and won't rattle to bits!). Install when you need it, but don't forget to erase/uninstall it all when you finish your PC/internet session.

If there is broadband available you may want to use podmailing.com/ to send your very large batches of high-res photos to a trusted email address back home.
You can then erase and re-use your memory cards because your photos are already safely back home.

Have a nice trip!

Back