ON1 Photo RAW 2020 early thoughts

Edit My Images
No
What's your initial thoughts on the latest version of photo raw?

Just watched a little of the the live stream, audio was poor and they just cut it off at the end. So not the best of start's. Going to have a play with the beta copy see how it goes.

The idea of it being faster is good, sync may be helpful for some, ditto video editing. I have no plans to upgrade at this stage since I'm running 2019, and only use the software to view & select images before processing them with ACR for use in Lightroom 5, plus as a plugin for LR when I want deeper editing. I prefer to do my processing in LR.

I think it looked like a decent upgrade, but I doubt I'll be upgrading this time as I am on 2019 now. I don't want to end up paying more each year to ON1 than the Adobe subscription would've cost me.

Think many have missed the point? When they launched 2019 it was praised by them as being faster than the previous version in fact it was the bees knees compared to Adobe Lightroom yet it could also not let you make camera profiles BUT!! if you watched the video/live stream they are telling you that the problem with brush lag in 2019 has been fixed in 2020 so if it has been fixed should it not be a free update to 2019 users as they admit in the video there was a problem? On1 IMO used to be a good fair company but that seems to have changed over the last couple of years and before anyone jumps in with the 'They are a company to make money not give away freebees' think about your car, if the company find a fault on the car make they send out a recall to fix it do they not? just an example of how companies should treat consumers.

Think many have missed the point? When they launched 2019 it was praised by them as being faster than the previous version in fact it was the bees knees compared to Adobe Lightroom yet it could also not let you make camera profiles BUT!! if you watched the video/live stream they are telling you that the problem with brush lag in 2019 has been fixed in 2020 so if it has been fixed should it not be a free update to 2019 users as they admit in the video there was a problem? On1 IMO used to be a good fair company but that seems to have changed over the last couple of years and before anyone jumps in with the 'They are a company to make money not give away freebees' think about your car, if the company find a fault on the car make they send out a recall to fix it do they not? just an example of how companies should treat consumers.
Agree the masking should be fixed for current 2019 users.

Quick test this morning of masking and its it better, but it is still jumpy & still does not show me on screen that it is loading the image. This means I don't know when it's done or not, sometimes a random bit of masking appears like the old version did as it was a click it is still catching up with.

The idea of it being faster is good, sync may be helpful for some, ditto video editing. I have no plans to upgrade at this stage since I'm running 2019, and only use the software to view & select images before processing them with ACR for use in Lightroom 5, plus as a plugin for LR when I want deeper editing. I prefer to do my processing in LR.
I might start using on1 just as a plugin for Photoshop only for when I want some of its features. (its not giving me anything more than Olympus workspace when it comes to organising my photos and the raw previews in olympus workspace are better)

I've just downloaded the Beta version, it is quicker, but still stutters at times and seems inconsistent. The brush is faster, but again, it is a little jerky. When exporting, I get no progress box, or anything in the progress bar at the bottom. Hopefully these are Beta issues and will be sorted. So far I'm not impressed enough to upgrade.

I've downloaded the beta and my initial impression is that it's no faster than 2019.6.
I'll have to spend more time with it and test it in depth.

Agree I am not seeing a significant jump in performance. I did try the AI match on a image and it just looked a mess after, think I will try it a bit more to see but so far nothing exceptional. For me I really want to see the histogram improved and a levels tool as I don't think it has one still.

Agree I am not seeing a significant jump in performance. I did try the AI match on a image and it just looked a mess after, think I will try it a bit more to see but so far nothing exceptional. For me I really want to see the histogram improved and a levels tool as I don't think it has one still.
, If you have not tried it can I suggest Skylum Luminar 3? 30 day free trial available and Ver 4 on the horizon. Russ.

, If you have not tried it can I suggest Skylum Luminar 3? 30 day free trial available and Ver 4 on the horizon. Russ.
I have got a copy, it works and is a nice bit of software but it's not advanced enough for me. I do like to have a go with sky ai in it sometimes.

Well after saying I wasn't going to bother, I have stumped up the money and upgraded. I'll see how the full version works once it is released.

Let us know, although it'll be full price once the full version is out.
I will, I paid $99 including the extra bonus stuff, and then got stung for the $20 tax.

I will, I paid $99 including the extra bonus stuff, and then got stung for the $20 tax.

.... Me too! I hate tax of any kind but especially on softgoods 'imports'!!

I have the 2019 version (latest) and only use its Filters as a plug-in in CS6 Photoshop as a host within a workflow originating in RAW conversion and adjustments in Capture One. It suits my purposes very well but I really dislike ON1's incessant marketing emails.

I won't be using the beta version though - That's just asking for trouble.

So far not finding ON1 Photo RAW 2020 a great leap on from 2019, no major issues yet on the beta. However going forward I will be just using it as a plugin in photoshop as a tool to use sometimes rather than my main raw processor. I don't see this as a big negative to on1, as it is still a tool for me to use on some images to get the results I want.
I feel if Adobe hadn't of moved to a subscription model the push we have had recently for alternatives may of been much slower. So we have all benefited from it in some way. I have now moved over to Capture 1 to process my images (olympus raw files) and I prefer the results.

I'm also using the beta, just to give it a try, I doubt I will actually buy it. It definitely seems faster and exporting is almost instantaneous now which is definitely a big plus. I'm having issues though, not everything works as it should and it has crashed a number of times.

I'm also using the beta, just to give it a try, I doubt I will actually buy it. It definitely seems faster and exporting is almost instantaneous now which is definitely a big plus. I'm having issues though, not everything works as it should and it has crashed a number of times.
What's not worked for you?

What's not worked for you?
Selecting some options inside the filters is sometimes problematic. Say choosing desert and then trying sky in the colour filters. Also the clone tool totally freaked on me yesterday. After selecting an area whenever I moved the curser the damn thing cloned, I had these stripes all over the image. There have been other things that I can't recall at the mo.

Strangely I've just started having problems whn using On1 PR2019 as a lightroom plugin, where if I haven't already started the program then it will open the application but not load an image in. No idea what's changed.

My free trial has expired today, and the email said not to sign in on it so won't be trying it anymore until it's released. Not much good instructions from on1.

So far not finding ON1 Photo RAW 2020 a great leap on from 2019, no major issues yet on the beta. However going forward I will be just using it as a plugin in photoshop as a tool to use sometimes rather than my main raw processor. I don't see this as a big negative to on1, as it is still a tool for me to use on some images to get the results I want.

I feel if Adobe hadn't of moved to a subscription model the push we have had recently for alternatives may of been much slower. So we have all benefited from it in some way. I have now moved over to Capture 1 to process my images (olympus raw files) and I prefer the results.

.... Thanks for the feedback so far that ON1 2020 is not a great leap on from 2019 which is what I use.

I have highlit in bold the parts of your comments which exactly match my own workflow and which is one I have been using for several years - I only use the ON1 Filters, not the Develop settings.

I have tried Affinity's filters but much prefer how ON1's interface offers their options and settings.

I have just remembered that I have already taken advantage of the pre-release discount by ordering ON1 Photo 2020 in advance. They promise an expansion of the Filters and Presets so let's hope they deliver.

Last edited:
I currently use 2019 as my main developer, but since the beta has become available, I've been using 2020 exclusively.
I'm not finding any noticeable speed increases in the new version compared to 2019, otherwise everything seems to work as before.
When I tried the map update, when I returned to the browser, it seemed like it was reloading all my images from scratch, which took ages.
I took that to be a "beta" problem and trust it will be OK in the release version.
One thing that was mentioned on the On1 forum was somebody was having a problem when editing an image and the suggestion was made to turn off "fast previews."
Having the same problem myself I tried switching off "fast previews" but that seems to slow things up considerably.
I still seem to have the same problems with the crop sliders "sticking" and refusing to move.
I'd also like to see the folder you are working on highlighted in the left hand panel.
As it is, when you reopen the program it opens with the last image you were working on, but there's no indication of the folder in which that image resides.
I have reported these issues on the On1 forum.
I'm already prepaid to receive the upgrade when 2020 is released, so I will continue to use it.
I'm generally very happy with On1 and haven't experienced any of the problems that some others have reported.

Just a quick "heads up" that ON1 2020 full version was released today.
Downloaded and installed, but haven't had time to play with it yet.

Just a quick "heads up" that ON1 2020 full version was released today.
Downloaded and installed, but haven't had time to play with it yet.

.... If you have been using the pre-release beta version then it makes sense to install the released full version as soon as available. However, even though I have prepaid (for the discount) for the now released version I never think it wise to install a dot.0 version and will be waiting for any of the inevitable bugs to get solved. Bugs are especially likely if using a new operating system such as macOS Catalina.

Just wondering how those who have installed the full blown 2020 version are finding it. I have been tracking and paying for on1 RAW for 3 years or so but found it so so. I am impressed with initial plays of the new version (free trial) but need to be convinced to shell out for the license.

Just wondering how those who have installed the full blown 2020 version are finding it. I have been tracking and paying for on1 RAW for 3 years or so but found it so so. I am impressed with initial plays of the new version (free trial) but need to be convinced to shell out for the license.
I've been using On1 exclusively for raw development for well over a year now, 2018, 2019 and now 2020 (full version) and I am delighted with it.
It's not perfect, but then again, neither is Lightroom.

I no longer have any Adobe products installed on my computer.

I've been using On1 exclusively for raw development for well over a year now, 2018, 2019 and now 2020 (full version) and I am delighted with it.
It's not perfect, but then again, neither is Lightroom.

I no longer have any Adobe products installed on my computer.

I dont particularly have a problem with Adobe as I like LR but I struggle with PS. I do like the additional elements that ON1 has that allows me to use some of the basic PS type functionality that I do use but I have found the software to be a bit buggy and slow over the years.

I have found a voucher that gives 20% discount on the upgrade price "SDP20" which knocks it down to £61. I am due to renew LR mid November but can't say I am keen to do so. I also use DxO PhotoLab 3 which works well.

I dont particularly have a problem with Adobe as I like LR but I struggle with PS. I do like the additional elements that ON1 has that allows me to use some of the basic PS type functionality that I do use but I have found the software to be a bit buggy and slow over the years.

I have found a voucher that gives 20% discount on the upgrade price "SDP20" which knocks it down to £61. I am due to renew LR mid November but can't say I am keen to do so. I also use DxO PhotoLab 3 which works well.

Code doesn't work for me.

If you like Lightroom you should have no problems adapting to On1 developer, since most of the controls are the same, although the interface layout is a bit different. I hated the interface layout of On1 at first and I still find it a little illogical, but you can get used to anything.
Where On1 scores over Adobe is the development "Extras" where there are a number of useful tools, for example "Dynamic Contrast" which I find give On1 the edge over LR.
Using On1 does require a different approach to LR, and your workflow needs to be changed slightly, particularly for highlight recovery. There are a number of video tutorials about the basics of raw development in On1, both on the On1 website and on YouTube.
The addition of layers does allow one to do some things that you would have previously required Photoshop for.

I too used to struggle with Photoshop (I had CS6) and I'm not sure why, but find the interface of Affinity Photo to be more user friendly than PS.

If you like Lightroom you should have no problems adapting to On1 developer, since most of the controls are the same, although the interface layout is a bit different. I hated the interface layout of On1 at first and I still find it a little illogical, but you can get used to anything.
Where On1 scores over Adobe is the development "Extras" where there are a number of useful tools, for example "Dynamic Contrast" which I find give On1 the edge over LR.
Using On1 does require a different approach to LR, and your workflow needs to be changed slightly, particularly for highlight recovery. There are a number of video tutorials about the basics of raw development in On1, both on the On1 website and on YouTube.
The addition of layers does allow one to do some things that you would have previously required Photoshop for.

I too used to struggle with Photoshop (I had CS6) and I'm not sure why, but find the interface of Affinity Photo to be more user friendly than PS.
Thanks that was very interesting. I bought the upgrade this morning with the discount code so a worthwhile punt. I have been meaning to look at Affinity as it gets a lot of praise.

I have installed the full version now and not had any issues so far. Although there was a message from ON1 yesterday about bugs with the new Mac OS they don’t affect me and how I use it. I also have Affinity but rarely need to use it now.

Just been trying to mask along the edge of the sky on a Dynamic Contrast filter using the Perfect Brush and it's better but it still sometimes just stops mid way. Freezes then sometimes jumps to a random point causing me massive anger! I had the problem on another machine I tried an older version of on1 photo raw so dont think its my machine. So for now it's just going to be used as a filter sometimes from Photoshop.

Has anyone moved from Lightroom to this..

Back