On1 RAW 2022 Bad Points

But some's released before it's ready ...
.... Yes and No. Sometimes the developer believes it's ready enough but then finds out from the wider world of users that it needs more work or bug fixes. There are an almost infinite range of scenarios which can't be covered in theory and need real world use to highlight them.

If a developer consistently releases versions with lots of bugs and/or shortcomings, their reputation can be damaged in the longer term.

Last edited:
No, but when you've paid £300 for software you'd kind of hope that what has been released works.
.... Certainly. I think that all developers release what they both believe will work at the time. Please see my Reply #81 above.

I very rarely install software which is a dot-zero first version - It's always more prudent to wait for the outside world to identify the bugs and shortcomings and for most of them to get fixed.

It's always more prudent to wait for the outside world to identify the bugs and shortcomings and for most of them to get fixed.
In which case I think that you owe the guinea pigs a pint, Robin - each!

In which case I think that you owe the guinea pigs a pint, Robin - each!
.... Except that I'm not a developer - I have merely experienced 4 years continually and constantly working for one (Adobe). I really do feel that they try their best - As I said before, it is definitely not in their best longer term interests to do otherwise.

Everyone has a choice whether to be a guinea pig or to wait.

Historically, many photographs were edited, manipulated and even skies replaced albeit a bit more effort was required.
Historically, many photographs were edited, manipulated and even skies replaced albeit a bit more effort was required.

My guess is that you are overstating the number of photographs that were edited, manipulated and had replacement skies added, and understating the difference between how easy it is now and how hard it was then.........

Thanks; I found that really interesting!

But I still maintain that in the days before digital manipulation your average amateur photographer would have found it very difficult to change skies.

and where did I make any mention of amateur?

I did’nt mention any type of photographer so I’m really not sure what your argument is or is it just for argument sake.

Last edited:
Thanks; I found that really interesting!

But I still maintain that in the days before digital manipulation your average amateur photographer would have found it very difficult to change skies.

TBH most amateurs couldn't even print their own pictures, so sky replacement was impossible whether they wanted to or not. In terms of photographic integrity it doesn't really matter whether sky replacement takes 30 seconds, 30 minutes or was the preserve of a tiny minority. The picture either works or it doesn't.

"Amateur" was probably the wrong word to use; I should have distinguished between highly skilled retouchers /designers and everybody else......most photographers, professional or otherwise and other lesser mortals.

I've possibly mentioned it before, that I remember amateur photographer doing a series of articles on masking and blending images, including sky replacement. IIRC the author was Dr. James something (possibly even just Dr. James). Certainly it would have been slow - probably a single image per evening.

It sounds like I'm trying to be 'that guy' but my take really is that it was neither common, nor the preserve of a super-elite, but rather a tool that a skilled individual could employ.

Overall, when I consider that there may be a plethora of individuals around the globe pressing buttons to replace the skies in their virtual images, I could easily sink into an almost bottomless ennui, afflicted with a deep sense of the pointlessness of it all.

Why just a sky? No need to stop there! Anything ill-judged or inconvenient could be fair game. Don't like the sea - replace it! Town hall in the wrong place - replace it! Jim over there pulling a face at the camera - replace him! It's coming, I tell you!

It's as if the lunacy of the consumer society is entering warp drive. So much artifice - to what ends?

All-in-All On1 Photo RAW 022 is quite good - apart from 2 things that I have found so far.

1. It no longer works as a Plug-In with Adobe CC (Unless you go for the Ultimate Upgrade version at almost double the price)
I have found a work around to using it as a Plug-In with Lightroom but not Photoshop which is annoying!!

2. The Sky Replacement works fine with trees and mountains but not if there are buildings in the image :thinking:

I do like the integration with On1 NoNoise from within the program.
1. I use On1 as a stand alone program and do use any Adobe software. I cannot see anything that cannot be done with On1 that needs another program. I believe there have been some "work arounds" published which allow the basic On1 to be used as a plug-in, but I'm simply not interested in them.

2. Again, there have been "work arounds" published which allow fine tuning of the Sky Replacement mask.

I for one, am absolutely delighted with On1 Photo RAW, and I cannot ever see going back to any Adobe software.

I am no expert in any shape or form, but have just upgraded to the 2022 version and so far am very impressed, especially with the noise reduction element, I thought my images were ok, but running them through the on1 no noise, it is excellent. I’m not sure I will make use of all the bells and whistles, but as an all in one editing option, for my needs anyway, it seems an excellent option!

1. I use On1 as a stand alone program and do use any Adobe software. I cannot see anything that cannot be done with On1 that needs another program. I believe there have been some "work arounds" published which allow the basic On1 to be used as a plug-in, but I'm simply not interested in them.

2. Again, there have been "work arounds" published which allow fine tuning of the Sky Replacement mask.

I for one, am absolutely delighted with On1 Photo RAW, and I cannot ever see going back to any Adobe software.
I meant to say "I do NOT use any Adobe software"
For my purposes, Affinity Photo makes an ideal replacement for Photoshop, when needed.

Last edited:
Just bought the upgrade to 2022 with a plan to migrate the LR6 catalogue across. Guess we'll see if that's wise or dumb shortly. :exit:

It's actually a pretty good program, or as it seems an excuse for some folk to have a go at each other for no actual reason (maybe the thread improved after halfway through the first page, I got bored of the bickering, by the way that's nothing to do with the op, he had a valid observation)

Hi, When I first started to use On1 products (Perfect Photo Suite made for photographers by photographers was the slogan I believe) it worked as it should on Windows but as they progressed the software it slowly became slower and slower to use on Windows and back then you could talk to someone or even allow access to your computer for the tech guy to have a look if need be, but for me the answer from the the tech guy was always the same "you need to update/get a faster computer to run the software" as at the time there where other software's out there that would run on my computer I took that path as it was a lot cheaper than having to upgrade a computer or buy a new one but now a few years down the line you don't get to talk to anyone just send an email to the tech department.
Why such a long story here?
Because before the I upgraded to 2022 from 21 the software ran fine on a windows computer now it takes 15 or so seconds to render an image when opening from Browse and the answer from the tech guy?
You may need to upgrade your processor.
The software does do a great job especially as already stated by others the AI noise reduction. and yes I have done ALL the settings I found suggested by others and by On1 from there site.
Russ.

Hi, When I first started to use On1 products (Perfect Photo Suite made for photographers by photographers was the slogan I believe) it worked as it should on Windows but as they progressed the software it slowly became slower and slower to use on Windows and back then you could talk to someone or even allow access to your computer for the tech guy to have a look if need be, but for me the answer from the the tech guy was always the same "you need to update/get a faster computer to run the software" as at the time there where other software's out there that would run on my computer I took that path as it was a lot cheaper than having to upgrade a computer or buy a new one but now a few years down the line you don't get to talk to anyone just send an email to the tech department.
Why such a long story here?
Because before the I upgraded to 2022 from 21 the software ran fine on a windows computer now it takes 15 or so seconds to render an image when opening from Browse and the answer from the tech guy?
You may need to upgrade your processor.
The software does do a great job especially as already stated by others the AI noise reduction. and yes I have done ALL the settings I found suggested by others and by On1 from there site.
Russ.
I have a fairly rapid computer and I rarely complain about program speeds.
However, I do find the latest version of On1 2022 to be rather unresponsive at times.
Launching the program it takes about 30 seconds before I can browse or edit an image, but the image renders very quickly. One area I find I'm waiting for something to happen is if I switch from "Edit" back to "Browse" in which case it takes about 12 seconds to return to "Grid" view, which seems a long time when you are just sitting there waiting for something to happen.
I realise these problems are not just with On1, it seemed to be a constant gripe with Lightroom when I was using it (although different people seemed to have different problems with LR.)

Newcomer here. I have been trying to use On1 2021 for about 3 or 4 months. I am by no means much good with it. Reading reviews and all sorts I decided I would risk it and bought the new 2022 version, in the hope that it will be able to stitch my panorams (2021 version COULD NOT - limited to 7 or 9 shots, I forget which). I hope it can stitch the 3 rows of 7 I shoot to create my panorams. That is the main reason for changing, to get something that will put the 21 shots together, and I just want to have ONE prgramme to work with, I don't understand what a plug-in is or how it works. I have been searching to find out what the 5 plug=ins for Raw 2022 are, I thought it was complete, but I am wondering if these 5 plug-ins are parts of the programme that you need and they are sold seperately, which sounds like buying a car and then having to buy the wheels as extras!

Any feedback please to set my mind at rest?

Newcomer here. I have been trying to use On1 2021 for about 3 or 4 months. I am by no means much good with it. Reading reviews and all sorts I decided I would risk it and bought the new 2022 version, in the hope that it will be able to stitch my panorams (2021 version COULD NOT - limited to 7 or 9 shots, I forget which). I hope it can stitch the 3 rows of 7 I shoot to create my panorams. That is the main reason for changing, to get something that will put the 21 shots together, and I just want to have ONE prgramme to work with, I don't understand what a plug-in is or how it works. I have been searching to find out what the 5 plug=ins for Raw 2022 are, I thought it was complete, but I am wondering if these 5 plug-ins are parts of the programme that you need and they are sold seperately, which sounds like buying a car and then having to buy the wheels as extras!

Any feedback please to set my mind at rest?

the plug-ins are if you want to plug On1 into other apps like LR or Capture One.
if you want to use On1 as a stand alone program then you do not need the plugins.

I’d download the trial to see if it stitches your panos before buying it.

the plug-ins are if you want to plug On1 into other apps like LR or Capture One.
if you want to use On1 as a stand alone program then you do not need the plugins.

I’d download the trial to see if it stitches your panos before buying it.
Agreed.
That's pretty much as I understand it.
The great thing about most software is that you can download a trial for evaluation.

I have bought and managed to instal it. BUT I then needed their help to make it so I could access it. I don't really know, or understand, what they talked me through, but it meant them having to send me an email with a password in it to add into the start of the programme. Whatever it was, it works now and I am very impressed with the little bit of tweeking I have done.

First one here, totally natural, just lifting the sliders here and there.

DJI_0067.jpg

I have bought and managed to instal it. BUT I then needed their help to make it so I could access it. I don't really know, or understand, what they talked me through, but it meant them having to send me an email with a password in it to add into the start of the programme. Whatever it was, it works now and I am very impressed with the little bit of tweeking I have done.

First one here, totally natural, just lifting the sliders here and there.

View attachment 337070
Strange. I've never experienced any installation problems with the program and I wonder why a password is required.

Being lazy, I frequently start my raw deelopment settings by trying the "AI Auto" button under the "Tone and Color" settings.
I often find this gives a good result with no further adjustment, and I can always tweak the settings from there if necessary.

Back