'One billion' affected by Yahoo hack

Our government likes to think that they can control everything - unfortunately for us they cannot.

Hackers IQ V Politicians IQ

Who is going to win?

Any conspiracy theorists in da house?

If, say, the hackers were working for Verizon then (1) they have reminded us of the existence of Yahoo! (who knew they still existed, let alone had a billion accounts?) and (2) got a $1B discount on their purchase. So far. I'm assuming corporate espionage pays above minimum wage but a billion is starting to be real money.

If, say, the hackers were working for Verizon then (1) they have reminded us of the existence of Yahoo! (who knew they still existed, let alone had a billion accounts?) and (2) got a $1B discount on their purchase. So far. I'm assuming corporate espionage pays above minimum wage but a billion is starting to be real money.
Perhaps you have never heard of Flickr? Same accounts usually.

Maybe, but frankly Marisa the ex-CEO already ran them down to the ground better than anyone could imagine.

I just hope that flickr has a brighter future with Verizon; I don't particularly like the way 500px is going and can't digest the idea of twitter or instagram.

Flickr is the only reason I have a yahoo account. If I didn't need one I'd get rid of it immediately.

Old news is old.

Flickr is the only reason I have a yahoo account. If I didn't need one I'd get rid of it immediately.

Trouble is Yahoo are responsible for several online services, as you mention flickr. You also have tumblr, and yahoo also operate some of BT email. To name a few.

Old news is old.

We knew they'd been hacked but not the scale of the data loss.

Trouble is Yahoo are responsible for several online services, as you mention flickr. You also have tumblr, and yahoo also operate some of BT email. To name a few.

Human nature means that people tend to use the same, or very similar passwords on other accounts. Once you've got one, you go after the others, ebay, amazon, those services that offer to save all your details for easy one click payment...

One problem with 2FA is that they then have your phone number so if their security is non existent you are worse off when they are hacked!

I reckon Apple have been done as well as they've suddenly introduced two factor.

I've had the two factor on Faceache for ages.

One thing to watch when you get used to 2FA; keep a backup copy of the qr code in your safe, with many organisations the process to reset your 2FA if you forgot you had the token on an old phone that you wiped can be rather cumbersome.

We knew they'd been hacked but not the scale of the data loss.

Yahoo also operate sky email too, as I found out when mine got hacked

Back