North England One day in Lake District

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Walked round Loughrigg Fell a few times, now wanting to take photos elsewhere. I'd rather go where it's easy to get to and I don't have to spend all day there then I can drive somewhere else.

Was thinking Wastwater in my journey, but where else? I don't mind a bit of walking, but not too much

Takes me 2 hours to reach Ambleside from where I live

Wast Water is good, plenty of areas next to the road so not much walking needed. You can walk up one of the fells to get a different view. Whilst many locations aren’t far from the car but it’s surprising how long it can take to get to Wast Water by car. It’s a good hour from M6 j36 and the same from Ambleside (even if you go over Hardknott Pass).

If you do go to Wast Water and need to get something to eat Santon Bridge Inn is a good pub. The Bowerhouse Inn in Eskdale Green is quite good too. There is a pub at the top of Wast Water too (Wasdale Head Inn), been there before and it’s ok too.

There are plenty of other places near Ambleside if you don’t want to travel to far across the Lakes. Tarn Hows can be worth a visit and Blea Tarn too.

+1 on what Rob said on Wast Water. It needs a full day at this time of year and it's a tedious drive..

How about Great Langdale from the NT car park up to the head. Almost flat walking all the way unless you want to try the passes at the end.

Langdale Head by Stephen.Palmer, on Flickr

and you finish at a pub:)

Last edited:
Either Little or Great Langdale are good options not far from Loughrigg. Plenty of good pubs to finish off the walk too :D

NT car park in Elterwater or around that area is a good starting point. The river walk down towards Skelwith Bridge is quite pleasant too this time of year with the Autumn colours.

Last edited:
Back