One for the Nikon boys and girls

S

Steve

Nikon has added a D200 section to its Nikon digitutor site and as the name suggests it covers the new camera in huge detail inclusing all controls, dials and readouts. If you are Nikon lover, or want a D200 there is something on this site for you.

It is Flash based though so if yo don’t have or want to use it, you are stuffed.

Nikon Digitutor D200

My first thought was 'why don't Canon do this?'

Then I remembered that Canons just make sense. When I picked up the 300D (the first SLR I ever owned, never mind about digital) for the first time I was impressed with how quickly I worked out what everything was. Even more so with the 20D which was child's play.

When I picked up a D2h a few weeks back, having been using dSLRs for over a year, it made absolutely no sense to me at all. Changing any settings was a baffling ordeal.

While the quality part of the everlasting Nikon Vs Canon debate is a pointless discussion, I do feel that Canons are better designed from a usability perspective.

I have never had a problem with the Nikon settings..

In fact, with the D200, they've made it even easier (than the D70) as all the important controls have a physical control on the camera body.

As well as this, the 4 settings 'banks' enable you to have 4 different sets of settings and 4 sets of custom settings, which you can quickly change between (I don't know if Canon have this?)

The only slightly confusing thing is the custom settings (mainly because there are so many on the D200), but the built-in help (pushing the '?' button while on a setting) is usually enough to make it clear...

Thanks for the pointer Steve, appreciated by all Nikonites I am sure (me included) - I am a little further down the pecking than some already using it but should see a D200 early next year !

And double helpings from Chez ... Makes the point well enough !

fingerz said:
I picked up the D2h and was like... "Ok, how do I change the aperture?"

<2 mins later>

"Right then... What about ISO?"

<Another 2 mins later>

Etc etc.. You get the idea.

Really?

How do you change aperture on a Canon? I thought you just turned a wheel/dial (the same as Nikon)?

The D200 has a dedicated ISO button, whereas the D70 required you to go into the menus (IIRC), perhpas the D2H was more like the D70 in this respect??

Venomator said:
Thanks for the pointer Steve, appreciated by all Nikonites I am sure (me included) - I am a little further down the pecking than some already using it but should see a D200 early next year

I actually saw this a week or so ago, but forgot to post (silly me!)

Venomator said:
And double helpings from Chez ... Makes the point well enough !

LOL

Chez said:
The D200 has a dedicated ISO button, whereas the D70 required you to go into the menus (IIRC)

Or you could use the ISO button on the back panel and turn the shutter speed dial... Same as the White Balance (WB) and Image Quality (QUAL) buttons...

Essentially, the D70 feels quite intuitive to me...

Getting back on topic, here's a link for a similar guide for the D70...

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d70/index.php

Catdaddy said:
Essentially, the D70 feels quite intuitive to me...

me too, only few flicks through the menus to get used to it. and i swapped from a canon!

tbh i think it's like im handy on a windows pc but lost on a mac, yet they are famous for being easy to use! no worse, im just stuck in my old habbits ;)

i think that it all depends on what u are used to,

its like driving on the other side of the road, its a bit confusing to start with , but you know how to drive a car, so it settles in quite quick

the most important functions on all major brand camera's are close at hand as long as you know the individual shortcuts for each brand, otherwise they wouldnt sell any camera's to the trade ,

this is where the Nikons are better than Cannons ( or visa-versa ) really annoys me, pay ur money and take ur choice, and dont slag of the other brands ( same goes with cars )

get a life:hissyfit:

MyPix

Personally I find changing the settings easier on my D2Hs than on my 1D MKII.......but as I have used Nikon longer it maybe that I am more used to it. ;)

Back