One from my weekend away

Edit My Images
No
Would like some opinions on this please, I am pretty new to the whole photography thing with a camera other than the old point click of my old Fuji MX1200.

adaecaaa.jpg

Ian for a first outing with the 20D, I'd say you've justified every penny it cost you, and the short time you've spent on here hasn't been wasted. :wink:

That's a nicely composed shot. That very light area in the sky has just burnt out a little. If you'd checked the histogram in the menus after you took the shot that area would have been flashing away indicating over-exposure. Try taking a copy of the picture, and adjust the levels in photoshop for the sky, reduce the contrast and darken it a little - play with it basically ansd see what you get. Don't worry about what happens to the foreground.Then when you've done, combine the image with your original shot. There's a 'How to' in Tutorials.

Really nice shot- time now to play with it. There's a huge luminance difference there between the sky and the foreground that's a difficult exposure problem anyway. The foreground is perhaps a shade dark, but if you'd given any more exposure for that, obviously the sky would have just burned out even more. When it's like that it's often better to take two shots - one exposed for the sky and one for the foreground and combine the two shots afterwards - the results can be very impressive. Obviously the camera would have to be on a tripod though.

Thanks CT :D :D Its only a 300D not a 20D for me however I am really pleased with the result! :D I have just actually been hunting for my CD's for Photoshop CS so that I can play with the image too! :D

Wrong Ian - it's getting confusing. :LOL:

Nothing wrong witha 300D- it's a serious photo machine! :wink:

I don't think you'll do much with that sky Ian to be honest, although you could try changing it altogether, it's the same technique and good practice. Your composition was very good - another night with a better sky there's a shot there for sure.

Actually I was coming to a similar conclusion! Having spent the last hour or so playing about with Photoshop.

Just uploaded another one that I took yesterday

b3a79752.jpg

I think there is probably a bit too much foreground on this one.

The first one is the one Ian. Charge it up to experience and just practise playing with it. You'll find plenty of sky/sunsset shots on a Google pic search. This is a quicky, but you can see it was only the sky that did you there - the idea was sound.

try.jpg

Catch you later gotta go out.

Back