One (left) handed user problem - 1/4inch screw needed

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Seeking a small 1/4inch tripod mounting screw.
Is there anybody out there who hoards bits and bobs who can help out. I am seeking a tripod mounting screw to help out with a camera adaptation for my wife who suffered a severe stroke and can now only use her left hand.

Since ALL cameras (yes all) are designed so the controls have to be used with the right hand, this is a real problem (one camera has already bitten the dust due to falling out of the hand).
On the advice of a helpful one handed photographer who has the same problem I have made a bracket and ring fitting which allows her to use a camera upside down so one finger supports the camera while the thumb operates the controls. The only screw fittings I could find are quite large and get in the way, or standard screws which can only be taken off with a screwdriver.

Anyone has any handy hints or would like more info, I would be glad to hear from them.

Nick

You need a 1/4" Whitworth screw thread. The American UNC 1/4 - 20 is very close and works just as well.

Do you just want an ordinary bolt with a hexagonal head or would you prefer one with a knurled knob as is found on tripods and leather cases for fitting to the camera.

Either way I could probably find one for you.

I also have a spare flash bracket which used normally, provides an extra hand grip to the right of the camera. If this is of any use you can have it.

Steve.

I don't know if it's what you're after, but I do have a bolt with a knurled knob that will screw into the tripod bush. This used to belong to an old camera case I had many many years ago. I imagine it's the same thing Steve has just mentioned.

You're welcome to it if you think it may help.

I bought a few different sizes for my home made tripod, they are kicking around somewhere, what lenght did you need? Wayne

Back