One lens only, lets play

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
So hypothetically you have only one lens. Zoom's not allowed, Macro not allowed. Just focal length. What would you go for?

Personally I'd go 45 or 55mm, must make a decision, Ok 50 mm, kind of does everything and still be able to be reversed for macro shots.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Which thread , spoilt for choice

Probably a 28 or 35. I'd then swap between bodies depending on whether I wanted a slight wide angle (FF), a "standard" lens (APS-C crop) or a short telephoto (1 series Nikon with FT-1 adaptor, 2.7x crop!)

On lens... it would have to be the epic Sony FE 85mm f1.4 G Master! :D

I got my first camera when I was 10 and it was a fixed lens compact and fixed lens cameras were what I used for decades and I have a very soft spot for cameras like that so going to a one lens only setup would be going home :D

I could live with anything from about 28 to 55mm or so and as I have to choose I'll say that probably the best focal length compromise is towards the longer end of the 28-35mm range so I'll go for a 40mm :D

But AF or manual? that's maybe another thread :D

Canon 135mm f2 hands down on full frame.

If it were just focal length and not lens... Well I'm not sure as it's so subjective, but if it's just one lens it would have to have been the 135, best lens I've owned

On DX, a 50mm, any decent one. Even the humble Nikon 50mm 1.8G, as it's a super lens, light, fun, no fuss, tack sharp.

On FX, an 85mm, same kinda thing but even better IMO, great for pretty much any kind of photography once you have enough space - the Nikon 85mm 1.8G is stellar. I don't need anything too fancy.

I would be torn between the 35mm and 40mm equivalent on my OMD.
Probably go for the 35 - ie the Oly 17mm F1.8 because it is a much nicer lens to use.

Or the 35mm F2 IS on my 5D3

This is very dependant on sensor size though!

For me, I think it would be my 35mm f/2 (FF).

Though I'm now considering my 85mm...

Last edited:
What I used for years: 80mm lens on a Mamiya C330. It's amazing just how much stuff I covered with that outfit...

14253336434_936d63de12_b.jpg

Agree with @dandeakin and @rjbell for me it would be the sigma art 1.4 35mm on full frame. Whilst it does not exaggerate perspective vastly one way or the other it is such a natural focal range that with a few steps backwards or forward can offer quite different framing.

I'd also cheat and use my nodal slide for panoramas if I needed wider!

I'd stick with my Zeiss 21mm. I'd have to sacrifice a few shots that I enjoy, but that lens would cover most of my landscape and astro options well enough

If I absolutely had to have one lens only, then I think it'd have to be a 24mm. And given it'd be a prime, I would have something at least f2 so it can double for landscapes, architectural interiors and Astro.

For me I am lucky enough to own a Pentax 31mm f1.8 limited, that would be my one lens choice :)

On full frame Sony A7 I couldn't be without the Voigtlander 40/1.4 :) A close second would be 85mm (Canon FD) - Actually, I probably prefer the 85mm but 40mm is more practical ;)

For this reason I'm trying Fuji with 23mm and 56mm ;(

Back