One Of My Best Otter Encounters (images added)

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
I had an amazing experience with a very curious Otter this morning. I feared I was going to get attacked at one point as it came so close to me as I laid among the rocks:eek: It almost made me late for work too as I was unable to move away until it left.

1/ Wanna buy some insurance?

Very Curious Shetland Otter by Crieffy., on Flickr

2/

3/

4/

5/

All with the 300mm f4, ISO1250, some shots with the TC14 fitted.

John

Last edited:
fantastic

Great set of pictures, sorry i'm late for work i got mugged by am otter:LOL:

Many thanks all:)

Great shots. How long did you have to wait before one came along?

I am extremely lucky to have 1 to 3 Otters that frequent the little bay below our house, so I do see them quite regularly. I saw this particular one fishing after I ran the wife to work, and was able to get in to position where it took most of it's catch ashore.

Superb job done here with a very elusive subject.
Bet it was nice and comfy lying in the rocks, lol.
Excellent!

Tony

They're lovely John. I don't think I've ever seen an otter, let alone had the opportunity to photograph one.

I'm surprised that no.5 hasn't got more attention.
For me that's the real stand out shot - the reflection in that perfectly still water is just beautiful IMO. It would have been great if you could have got it a bit wider to get his whole length in, but that one's still an absolute winner for me.

They're lovely John. I don't think I've ever seen an otter, let alone had the opportunity to photograph one.

I'm surprised that no.5 hasn't got more attention.
For me that's the real stand out shot - the reflection in that perfectly still water is just beautiful IMO. It would have been great if you could have got it a bit wider to get his whole length in, but that one's still an absolute winner for me.

Thanks, I also wish I could have got more of him in shot - with hindsight I should have framed him with less space in front, but probably still couldn't have fitted the tail in - they have looooong tails:)

A few more..

6/

Otter Portrait by Crieffy., on Flickr

7/

Otter Exploring by Crieffy., on Flickr

8/

Upstanding Otter by Crieffy., on Flickr

John

CaptainPenguin said:
Fabulous shots John best you have ever taken and as good as I think I have seen of Otters,were these down at Boddam where you took me

Thanks, Nigel :)
These were below the old house where we parked the cars. Seen them most days recently but the weather's been a bit grim for decent photos.

John

fantastic set of shots, how do you you get so close and not have them see you, are you in a hide?,

Thanks all - It may be a while before I can better these - if ever:)

Another great set mate (y) my best encounter was on Mull near a place called Croggan we had a lot of views of them :( but not as good as yours
we were staying here
http://www.islandholidaycottages.com/croggantigh/croggantigh.asp
Regards
Richard

Now that looks rather nice - grand location:)

fantastic set of shots, how do you you get so close and not have them see you, are you in a hide?,

This was a case of watching where he took his catch ashore to eat, then creeping down among the big boulders so that I just had my head and camera visible. The Otter coming so close was just luck really.

thanks,
John

Last edited:
Thanks all - It may be a while before I can better these - if ever:)

Now that looks rather nice - grand location:)

It was beautiful (y) one downside it took 1/2hr to access the main road
I was always driving to slow to see what was about :D
Regards
Richard

Fantastic - all I see on the way to work is tarmac if I'm lucky and the back end of a large truck if I'm not.

Great pictures and great patience !!

What a great thing to see in the wild.
I never knew they had such long fingers.

Back