Critique One of my twins

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone tell me why my son's hairline on his forehead OOF and behind it, it appears to be in focus again? it's almost like a line?

Other than that, anything I could have done to improve this? other than trying to control the twins and getting them to sit still.....!

Lighting was softbox in front and above his head, natural light camera left

Thanks,

16hnuxl.jpg

This was taken wide open at 1.4

Just to add to what Pete said.

The plane of focus is exactly that, a plane.

Imagine a vertical sheet of Perspex your son has stuck his head through so his eyes are bang on the line. Everything on that plane is sharp, everything in front of or behind is OoF, at F1.4 the DoF (zone of acceptable sharpness) is just a centimetre or so, if you'd used f5.6 then his hair and ears would have been 'acceptably sharp'.

Just to add to what Pete said.

The plane of focus is exactly that, a plane.

Imagine a vertical sheet of Perspex your son has stuck his head through so his eyes are bang on the line. Everything on that plane is sharp, everything in front of or behind is OoF, at F1.4 the DoF (zone of acceptable sharpness) is just a centimetre or so, if you'd used f5.6 then his hair and ears would have been 'acceptably sharp'.

Thanks Phil, learning to experiment and not always shoot wide open is something I'm working on at the moment after posting this here.

Just to add, shooting wide open, or nearly so, should be a creative choice and shouldn't be something you're worried about :) I quite like shallow DoF in some portrait shots :)

Thanks Phil, learning to experiment and not always shoot wide open is something I'm working on at the moment after posting this here.
There's a time and a place.
Just to add, shooting wide open, or nearly so, should be a creative choice and shouldn't be something you're worried about :) I quite like shallow DoF in some portrait shots :)

Just be aware of the results, I shot some headshots at the weekend at 2.5 on the 135mm just enough DoF for what I wanted, but the ears are OoF, which might not be to everyone's taste.

Just be aware of the results, I shot some headshots at the weekend at 2.5 on the 135mm just enough DoF for what I wanted, but the ears are OoF, which might not be to everyone's taste.
Yep, not everyone will like it, I did a shoot recently using the 85 @ between f2 and f2.5, near eye in focus, far eye out - I loved it, but like you say not everyone will (the model did too which is always nice).

Shooting wide open can look great, but its a fine line (especially at f1.4) between the perfect shot and missing it - this is even worse when kids are involved!

The only other constrictive crit is the crop, there is too much space at the top for me and a tighter crop would really improve things.

Back