One of our cats needs eye correction (green-eye) :(

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a couple of photo's of 2 of our 4 cats.
The grey one (Clottie) was taken without flash, the black and white one (Bifta) was taken with flash and as thus, has gor green eyes.

I'll have a play with photoshop to see if I can correct them but what's the best way to take photo's of cats with flash (I presume bouncing a speedlight may work- my 430EX-II should arrive today so will try that tonight).

Oh, any feedback on pics would be nice too, my first ever attempt at "proper" digital photography :)

Clottie.jpg

Bifta.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to sound a bit harsh Justin, but they just look like quick snap-shots from a point and shoot?
I'm no expert of flash photography, so can't offer much advice there, but I would have got down to the cats eye level on the second and maybe reduce the DOF whilst focusing on the eyes. I would also watch the BG's and keep them as uncluttered as possible.(y)

Gareth

Sorry to sound a bit harsh Justin, but they just look like quick snap-shots from a point and shoot?
I'm no expert of flash photography, so can't offer much advice there, but I would have got down to the cats eye level on the second and maybe reduce the DOF whilst focusing on the eyes. I would also watch the BG's and keep them as uncluttered as possible.(y)

Gareth

Fair enough, but they were kind of experimental shots, using various settings on the camera (I don't ever want to use the 'auto' setting unless I'm just out shooting with the family).

I did take a few at ground level but will try some more tonight as I'm just getting to grips with DOF, Shutter and Aperture priority (amongst a lot of other things lol).

Also I've just been informed that my Speedlight 430EX-II has been delivered so can't wait to get home to try that out too. :)

Last edited:
No worries. Try your camera on AV mode and set your aperture as wide open as it will go (the lowest f number the lens will allow) and keep your shutter speed to at least that of the focal length (ie - at 100mm, use 1/100 sec min shutter speed). If the image is too dark, up your ISO setting and see how you get on. It's a balancing act. (y)
If you're struggling to "blur" out the BG, then move the subject further away from the BG.

Good luck

Gareth

Cheers for that Gareth, I'll try that.

I've just been reading all about shutter, aperture and DOF in the 'Snapshots to Great Shots' book I got for the camera.

This any better? (also took this last night so not had time to try out your suggestions yet Gareth)

Spooky1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

I'm a cat keeper too, you can see some of mine if you log onto Flickr and search for Lancashireoatcake.

The 3rd pic is a good improvement,

Which lens / camera are you using? Sometimes trying to get bokeh (horrid word that means the subject is in focus, but the background is out of focus) getting the subject close you and a distant background makes it much easier.

I'm not a fan of flash photography when it's sat on top the camera, can make pictures feel flat, more often than not I am far happier with results from non flash, or off camera flash setups.

You should get yourself a famed nifty 50 which will help you accentuate your subjects.

Hope you find this helpful, and if you want anything made clearer or anything just ask :)

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Dan,

had a bit of a play again last night and took this photo (not sure what happened to the ear - I must have moved as it was a fairly high ISO)

20121024-IMG_0141.jpg

And this one taken on the way to work (very dull morning so have PP'd a little)

20121025-IMG_0151-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

I would say a good start, but once you have your 430 bouncing the flash will allow for better results. The pop up flash is ok for slight fill but these look more like a rabbit in the head lights kind of shot. You might find this was due to the colour of the cats your being quite dark.
You might want to also look at your white balance settings as this might add some warmth to the shots.

Composition wise you need to try and either fill the frame with the subject or look at not cutting paw's, ears out of the shot...

Again a good start…

Dan.

That's better Justin,

I like the first one, the light reflecting off the window is a bit off-putting, but the flash doesn't seem half as harsh.

A good bit of advice would be to look for inspiration from other pictures of cats and try to emulate them. It'll help you learn different techniques and also help you to learn the differing functions of different lenses.

There are lots of amazing pics on here to get that from :)

You should get yourself a famed nifty 50 which will help you accentuate your subjects.

Is this the nifty fifty you mention?

Actually thinking about it (and I know the cost is more) but as my 600D is a 1.6 crop wouldn't this be better?

or perhaps (for similar money) this.

Choices, choices... :D

Last edited:
All will do you great.

50mm on a crop is exactly the focal length of your eyes.

The 1.4 and 1.8 are great. Depends how much you want to spend really :)

All will do you great.

50mm on a crop is exactly the focal length of your eyes.

The 1.4 and 1.8 are great. Depends how much you want to spend really :)

I don't think £260 is too bad (for an EF lens). At least when I (eventually) upgrade to a 5dMkIII it'll fit that lol.

I may wait a while though as I really need to stop spending and start shooting lol

I don't think £260 is too bad (for an EF lens). At least when I (eventually) upgrade to a 5dMkIII it'll fit that lol.

I may wait a while though as I really need to stop spending and start shooting lol

Don't rush with the upgrade for now... try to make the most of what you have and accumulate some high quality glass.

The cat pics can be improved a lot. A very simple but clean way is to use bounce flash, and longish lens (85-100mm+) at sensible aperture (eg f/4) to keep the cat's face in focus. At f/1.8 DOF will be a bit shallow. You might get away with some cats but certainly not dogs.

Don't rush with the upgrade for now... try to make the most of what you have and accumulate some high quality glass.

Exactly what I plan to do, hopefully this weekend I will get out and take some landscape shots, I've also booked Monday & Tuesday off work to do the same, hoping for some nice weather :)

Back