one two, testing! New Lighting Method test

tom

Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

Went out today with my gf and her mate just to test a new lighting technique! Neither girls were really rigged for a proper shoot (normally Sarah has full photographic make up on so it shows up properly, today she wore practically none!).

1) first shot of the day, pretty nippy so still got her jacket on! Can see me in the glasses lol

IMG_0509.jpg

2) my gf's friend who came along for a few shots,

IMG_0527.jpg

3) Trying a bit of rim lighting (oo err ;o)

IMG_0554.jpg

4) into the shade a little bit, quite like the setup for this kinda work

IMG_0571.jpg

5) As above

IMG_0573.jpg

6) As above mk2

IMG_0576.jpg

6) Your turn!

IMG_0588.jpg

7) Bit o' bokeh

IMG_0594.jpg

8) This didnt reaaaaally work at all, being below the model isnt ideal!

IMG_0624.jpg

9) Quite like the lighting effect with a very dark forest behind her:

IMG_0629.jpg

10) On the way back to dropping Natalie off, passing Hollingworth lake i was presented with a stunning sunset.....despite it being about 3 degrees C outside i made the models jump out for a few shots!

IMG_0662.jpg

11)

IMG_0663.jpg

12)

IMG_0665.jpg

13)

IMG_0667.jpg

14)

IMG_0668.jpg

15) Natalie's Turn

IMG_0669.jpg

16)

IMG_0683.jpg

17)

IMG_0691.jpg

Set up was my Canon EOS-40D / 24-105 F4L IS with a sigma DG 500 ST Super on the camera, set to not fire acting as a wireless eTTL controller for the 430ex sat on the tripod firing into a 32" White umbrella. Most photos were in AV priority with 2 stops of -EV dialed in, with the flash varying between 0ev and +1 ev depending on what i wanted with the shot.

themaking1.jpg

That's how the set up looked (obviously the camera is in my hand ;p) Yes using a nearly £600 tripod set up to hold a single speedlight and a light umbrella is overkill, but hey ho!

Hope you enjoyed the post, the idea today was to learn the new method of controlling the off camera flashes etc and from that i've learnt a fair bit! So mission acomplished. Also, found a pretty nice location for future shoots.

Tom.

Set up was my Canon EOS-40D / 24-105 F4L IS with a sigma DG 500 ST Super on the camera, set to not fire acting as a wireless eTTL controller for the 430ex sat on the tripod firing into a 32" White umbrella. Most photos were in AV priority with 2 stops of -EV dialed in, with the flash varying between 0ev and +1 ev depending on what i wanted with the shot.

Don't know if its the same on your sigma flash but on canon's the flash guns exposure comp setting will over ride the cameras, so your -2 stops setting will have no effect.

Paul

Last edited:

Don't know if its the same on your sigma flash but on canon's the flash guns exposure comp setting will over ride the cameras, so your -2 stops setting will have no effect.

Paul

The flash settings were left neutral and only altered by fed on the camera. By -2 ev it under exposed ambient by 2 stops making the flashes put more out which is what gives the effect like on the sunset ones.

Lovely shots Tom, You did well to slightly over power the sun on the first shots and metered well on the sunset shots.

Well done buddy

An excellent series, looks like you got to grips with the setup nicely!! I love the sunset ones :)

Some great shots there Tom, with number 10 probably being the best of the bunch for me.

I do find though with number 13, without the eye contact to hold your attention, well,.......... :confused:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

She's seen the thread and is annoyed that i didnt put a few of the others that she liked on, so here they are :p

18)
IMG_0549.jpg

19)
IMG_0548.jpg

20)
IMG_0540.jpg

and just one more that i quite liked the lighting on but not the model's pose:

IMG_0526.jpg

Tom.

Last edited:
I like the lighting, at first i thought it was a reflector. Whas the flash on manual or ETTL ?

as for the photos, i think the girl in pink needs to smile a bit or have a different expression, she looks bored in most of them.

I like the lighting, at first i thought it was a reflector. Whas the flash on manual or ETTL ?

as for the photos, i think the girl in pink needs to smile a bit or have a different expression, she looks bored in most of them.

I agree she wasn't a particularily willing model :/

Ettl :)

as described in the OP, it's a Sigma DG ST500 Super controller, with a canon 430EX set to slave, the sigma is controlling the canon over RF :)

the fact that the sigma flash is about half the price (or in my case a tenth of the price):p it works in exactly the same way :)

Thanks for sharing the details of how it was done.

Good effort on the lighting. I think #10 is my favourite. The lighting on the ones against the trees gives so much detail

Very jealous of you having a willing model on tap - my Mrs runs a mile when she sees the camera!

The lighting is superb in these, great stuff and all from one speedlight! (y)

I really love th lighting in #19
I find the shadows on the face created by her hair is lovely.
Lovely setting too, great place for shooting models

Mike

Back