Ian Wilson's 52 - Wk 19 INGREDIENTS & QUAD added

Is "Sprout in Puddle" the worst picture you have eveer seen?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been told about this thread by a friend, it's exactly the sort of challenge I need.

My Rules & Aims for this project

- Think about and improve my composition (get away from my obsession with lighting!)
- Try new things
- Shoot more often- Learn by doing
- Receive and learn from criticism
- To offer support and fair critique to as many other 52'ers as I can
- To work on at least 2 ideas for each theme and choose the best as the submission

===============================================================

Week 1 - Curves

Week 2 - Poetry

Week 3 - Chopped

Week 4 - Street

Week 5 - Speed

Week 6 - Present
OS - to follow

Week 7 - People

Week 8 - Mechanical

Week 9 - Play

Week 10 - Chemistry

Week 11 Candid
[OS]

Week 12 Produce

Week 13 Quad

Week 14 Shoot
[OS]

Week 15 Single
[OS]

Week 16 Stare

Week 17 Peace
[OS]

Week 18 - Close

Week 19 - Ingredients

Last edited:
Bit small (yes, and then I clicked on it!) but I really like this, the balance is excellent and the colours spot on. Congrats, I could put this on my wall :D

Arthur

Very nice start Ian, lovely curved image with good strong colours. Looks like you've embedded the thumbnail rather than the image though... It looks much better bigger.

Thats a very nice picture.... are they glass vases ?

Terran

Thank you very much, :)

They are the bases of 2 matching table lights in different colours, with the main light from the lights themselves being switched on, with a touch of fill flash.

Yes I like the abstract nature of that too. Welcome to the 52 too.

I have already learnt one valuable thing from this excercise = dust household objects before shooting them (or sack the cleaner!) because dust on the blue lamp ruined a good few shots with more light in them!

I think this one is my Poetry submission...

The 2 ideas I worked on were

a) Capturing motion (Poetry in Motion?) by balancing the poetry book on its corner and dropping it so that there was a circular kind of motion around the pivot point of the corner, as the lettering away from the spine was moving faster

b) Composition using depth of field to highlight the lines of poetry and shape of the page

I like the end result marginally better than the other 3 candidates:

i) I like the fact that the spine of the book is visible on this but still prefer the chosen image

ii) I like the 'looming tombstone' effect on this but this was unintentional so can't rally claim any credit as I didn't see the shot at the time

iii) This worked best for composition and depth of field idea, but not really very intersting end result:

Any criticism or critique or pointers very welcome as I am here to learn and have a very thick skin!

Last edited:
:wave: Ian.
You may have started late, but what an entrance into the 52!
Good set of objectives for the project. I think that's pretty much what we're all aiming for, but it helps to set them out at the beginning and gives you something to look back on in those weeks when you might struggle with motivation.

A bit embarrassed to post something so simplistic and abstract, but it's all I've got have to get started or will never catch up and will let it all slide by...

Don't be.
It may be simple, but it works very, very well (y)
I would never have guessed that they were lamps - it almost has the feel of paint dripping and splodging (if that's a word :LOL:)

A very effective and quite stunning image!
The bottom looks just a little dark on my screen, and I think that the tabletop just visible in the bottom RHS distracts from the abstract feel a bit. I don't want to see these as objects sat on a table if you know what I mean.
So IMO just a little crop off the bottom might help give it a bit more punch.

The 2 ideas I worked on were

a) Capturing motion (Poetry in Motion?) by balancing the poetry book on its corner and dropping it so that there was a circular kind of motion around the pivot point of the corner, as the lettering away from the spine was moving faster

b) Composition using depth of field to highlight the lines of poetry and shape of the page

Well I think you met those 2 objectives this week (y)

I agree with your choice of shot to use for the 52. I think the motion shots just have more impact than the DOF ones.
I like the spine of the book in the second version too, but I think that the first one, with all of the cover in frame works better.

Not too keen on your first DOF shot, although I seem to be in a minority.
Just a personal thing, but the angle is just a bit too quirky and disorientating for me.
Second one works much better. Simple, classic, elegant. There's nothing I don't like about it, but it just isn't as exciting as the motion shots :shrug:

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the helpful and nice comments, this really is the most friendly and supportive forum than I have used.

I am sticking with my original entry shot, as it is what I was aiming for

I like the last one because the dof field draws the eye to the most well-known lines in the poem.

Phil

Hi Ian.

Week 1: Stunning start. I love the abstract-ness (?) and the colours. What a brilliant idea - and very well executed. (y)

Week 2: Poetry in Motion - another brilliant idea. :clap: I much prefer the first version because the form of the letters is retained. Very clever. :) The second one looks a bit jumbled to me and I don't quite know where to look first.

The dof versions both work on a technical level for me, and the tombstone shape of the focus area is a neat twist. I just don't think they have quite as much visual impact as the motions ones.

Looking forward to your Week 3. :)

Jean

Really like the first one. Best of the set for me (y)
Like the first one also, but the 3rd just pips it for me.

Curved is excellent! Very arty, and I could easily see this hanging on my wall!

Poetry - Good idea, but it doesn't work for me :(. It's hard to pin point why it doesn't work. I would like at least 1 point perfectly in focus, but not sure how you would have achieved this.

Great start though! Some great ideas there, looking forward to your next shots (y)

I have really struggled this week, enough ideas but all a bit rubbish when it came down to it.
I have one idea left which I might get to tomorrow but I am probably going to have to put forward one of these insipid offerings...

On the day the theme 'chopped' was announced I walked into the kitchen and hey presto my wife was making the tea...
...but unfortunately I couldn't find the recipe for anything better than this:

So after that I got thinking about trees being chopped down and remembered a woodpile I had seen on a walk with the dog.
Dog was duly dragged around again and made to sit nicely while I messed around with tripod and tried to do something better:

At the moment the second of the tree pics is just edging it as my likely submission, simply because there is a little bit of composition in there with the chopped trees in the foreground contrasting with there still standing brethren in the background.

I was getting very desperate, so headed off to the local farm to see what they had been chopping lately, unfortunately they had been working on a rather unphotogenic field of....sprouts.

Oh well I thought, with a bit of luck I might just hit on a decent shot and proceeded to take some of the most tedious pictures I've ever shot, possibly the dullest shots anyone has ever taken, of which this was the best (honestly!).

You might find it hard to believe, but after that things got even worse.

I think recently cut sprouts release some sort of hallucinogenic or mind altering substance into the atmosphere, as that is the only possible explanation I can come up with for having taking this shot.

Sat here now I cannot find any rational reason or excuse for me to have thought that this shot could be in any way worth even trying, and I am seriously concerned for my mental health.

I know I deliberately pointed the camera at this scene, and what makes it worse is I pressed the shutter and even then did not immediately delete it.

Is this what 52's do to photographers? We are only on week 3 and I thought that this might count as 'pushing my boundaries'...Hmmm.

Ladies and Gentlemen, without further waffle, let me present to you what might just be the Worst picture in the history of the World, with a rather large clue as to how awful it is likely to be when I tell you that the title is "Sprout in a Puddle".

Last edited:
Would it make you feel better if I tell you I have a few chopped sprout stalk pictures in the possible file for this week? And woodpiles too... but to be honest, with a little rotation/emphasis on the knife, the tomato pic is very nice. I like the wood pile sideways rather than the end on, not sure why, has a bit of linear form maybe. The sprout picture is a little sad really, especially shown in context of the previous pic, poor little sprout left behind - would have been nice to get something reflected but still, a sad picture :D

Arthur

I think the second picture is best, I like how the logs draw you into the photo. Perhaps it could have been composed slighly differently though, I would have tried removing most of the surroundings to see how that worked and also putting in some space to one side of the logs to see how that looked.

Ian - pretty good for a late starter...

1 - love the colours and composition

2 - Poetry in Motion is a superb idea but I've got to go for 3 over 2. Yet another of my favourite poems. (love all the world war one stuff)

3 - Tomatoes do it for me. Love how the focus is on the tip of the blade

I thought it was meat but they might be tomatoes :) Like the crop and angle of the shot but for me the DoF is too shallow and would prefer to see more of or even the whole blade in focus.

Would it make you feel better if I tell you I have a few chopped sprout stalk pictures in the possible file for this week? And woodpiles too... but to be honest, with a little rotation/emphasis on the knife, the tomato pic is very nice. I like the wood pile sideways rather than the end on, not sure why, has a bit of linear form maybe. The sprout picture is a little sad really, especially shown in context of the previous pic, poor little sprout left behind - would have been nice to get something reflected but still, a sad picture :D

Arthur

It helps a bit to know that I am not the only photographer to fall under the influence of the dreaded sprout gas, but not that much - the horror of "Sprout in Puddle" will live with me a long time.

I agree it is sad, in every sense of the word:LOL:

I think the second picture is best, I like how the logs draw you into the photo. Perhaps it could have been composed slighly differently though, I would have tried removing most of the surroundings to see how that worked and also putting in some space to one side of the logs to see how that looked.

Thanks, might have a play with the edits later, but I am inclined to put this week beehind me as fast as possible and write it off as just a bad week!

Ian - pretty good for a late starter...

1 - love the colours and composition

2 - Poetry in Motion is a superb idea but I've got to go for 3 over 2. Yet another of my favourite poems. (love all the world war one stuff)

3 - Tomatoes do it for me. Love how the focus is on the tip of the blade

Thank you kindly, I can't quite decide beetween that one and the logs, and the rain has put paid to my one remaining idea as it involved finding a volunteer to lie down on the floor.

I thought it was meat but they might be tomatoes :) Like the crop and angle of the shot but for me the DoF is too shallow and would prefer to see more of or even the whole blade in focus.

I would have liked more time with the meat to try some alternatives, but my wife was indifferent to my pleas for more time as the kids stomachs took priority over my artistic endeavours, and had I carried on any longer I would have found it impossible to photograph the knife as it would have been somewhere between my shoulder blades!

So not only does noone like "Sprout in a Puddle" I notice that noone has claimed to have taken a worse photograph - wonder if their is an award I can apply for?

Last edited:
Well I'm going to vote for "sprout in a puddle".

It's not just a sympathy vote because I feel sorry for poor little sprouty, he made me smile and it's comforting to know that at least somebody had as bad a week as I did for chopped :hug:
Besides, if you put this in a modern art gallery and labeled it as a commentary on the loneliness and hopelessness of life you'd probably earn a fortune!

Seriously though, there's something about the first shot - definitely good potential there and I like your second tree shot as well.

Why is it that these themes that appear so easy on the surface always turn out to be the most difficult?

I am inclined to put this week beehind me as fast as possible and write it off as just a bad week!

After my horrible attempts this week, I wholeheartedly back that statement.

Pah, your an amateur. Honestly. Call that a boring photo? Step into my office :boxer:

Poetry:
I love the two shots of poems, particularly the second one. I can't make my mind up if the focus should have been on the title or exactly where it is, but I really like the framing of the shot.

For chopped the second logs picture is the clear winner in my book, it's somehow powerful and imposing, and the clarity of the foreground is well complimented by the misty atmosphere beyond.

Good stuff.

Like Sarah has said, stick 'sprout in a puddle' in a modern art gallery with some tosh about loneliness and it would sell for a lot of money. Personally it reminds me of xmas dinners from childhood.... my sprouts were the ones normally found floating in the dirty dish water afterwards :LOL:

I DO like the chopped trees shot though, the lovely earthy colours of the foreground and mistiness of background leaves me almost able to smell the woodland damp. Great stuff :clap:

Just wait till we get a stinker of a theme :LOL: ...

I like the first one Ian, it's chopped, the trees work well too.

Just found your thread - what a great start!

Curves is excellent - I love the colours, use of DOF and general semi-abstract dreaminess! :clap:

Poetry: a clever idea which you have achieved pretty well in your chosen shot. (y)

Chopped: I think most of us struggled with this one! But the tomato one is really quite good - maybe the colours could be slightly richer.

I won't comment on the sprout except to say that I too have taken shots like thist and then wondered what on earth I was thinking of :D

What a great selection you've given us to start the year with. Don't despair, my vote goes to 'sprout in a puddle too :)

Also just found the thread, and you've made me chuckle today so that's worth comment alone.

Poetry: I prefer the book shots to be honest. As was commented earlier, the other ones make my eyes go funny which is hardly eloquent critique, but it's what I feel. I also like the war poets, and you've captured the words you wanted in focus which was a nice touch.

Chopped:
You might find it hard to believe, but after that things got even worse.
I think recently cut sprouts release some sort of hallucinogenic or mind altering substance into the atmosphere, as that is the only possible explanation I can come up with for having taking this shot.
Sat here now I cannot find any rational reason or excuse for me to have thought that this shot could be in any way worth even trying, and I am seriously concerned for my mental health.
I know I deliberately pointed the camera at this scene, and what makes it worse is I pressed the shutter and even then did not immediately delete it.
Is this what 52's do to photographers? We are only on week 3 and I thought that this might count as 'pushing my boundaries'...Hmmm.
Ladies and Gentlemen, without further waffle, let me present to you what might just be the Worst picture in the history of the World, with a rather large clue as to how awful it is likely to be when I tell you that the title is "Sprout in a Puddle".

Best post of the day so far.

Maybe it is pushing your boundaries, maybe it isn't. Either way, it made me smile, and reading the accompanying text made me chuckle too. I've been there!

Giving it the title "sprout in a puddle" simply says it all. Tracy Emin would be proud, although it wouldn't likely be a muddy puddle the sprout would find a home in.

Doing this for 52 weeks without retaining a sense of humour. That would drive you mad!

Bookmarking in the hope of further humourous sprout adventures. Let's hope week 5 isn't "Gassed".

Ian.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And there was me thinking I'm the only one who points, shoots and only later sits in front of his monitor thinking "WFT!!!!"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And there was me thinking I'm the only one who points, shoots and only later sits in front of his monitor thinking "WFT!!!!"

Peoples, you got to take a look at Rob's link to his Urbex stuff

http://www.ratsnruins.co.uk

Awesome stuff, i love the pics but the whole feel of abandonment, age and danger in these sort of shots - wish i had the nerve or local knowledge to try some of this. Absolutely ace.

I was quite looking forward to this weeks theme for as I liked the idea of trying "street" photography, and just needed a push to get on and do it. I also really enjoy viewing others street work. I had even got myself a 70-300 DO lens in the sales last January, with the idea being that it would be small and unobtrusive but with a reasonable reach and so would be well suited for street style photography.

However, when it came to it I found it really difficult. Extremely uncomfortable taking pictures of strangers without their knowledge, felt very furtive, and very obvious and exposed lurking around with a camer. I also leaned how difficult it is to find anything interesting in amongst the ordinariness, and how quickly opportunities came and went. Also how much patience is needed. It didn't help that I had left it until Saturday and so put myself under pressure. Really did not enjoy the experience at all, although it was cold, dreary and I had a bit of a hangover so maybe just my state of mind.

So I learnt a lot without taking many pics!

I eventually decided to stop wandering round and find a postion where I had a dark background to shoot against a backlit scene and wait for people to walk into shot. Managed to grab a few but really can't decide between them so would love to get some comments and views.

a) The Street

b) Backlit Boy

c) Lads on Bus

Hi Ian (and you need to change your thread title :D)

I like the almost abstract nature of #1 and definitely says street to me (y)

I like the lighting outlining the head in #2 but it needs a straighten to get the railing parallell I think.

#3 looks like it's been taken through a window or is the a reflection on the bus? It's a good capture, well seen. Have you tried it with a contrast boost?

Hi Ian (and you need to change your thread title :D)

I like the almost abstract nature of #1 and definitely says street to me (y)

I like the lighting outlining the head in #2 but it needs a straighten to get the railing parallell I think.

#3 looks like it's been taken through a window or is the a reflection on the bus? It's a good capture, well seen. Have you tried it with a contrast boost?

Thanks for the advice, you are right about the sloppy editing on the railing - now straightened. I had already given the bus shot a big contrast boost, but it looks better for even more I think. The DO lens does suffer from a lot of flare when used contra jour like this.

#1 for me. The light is just right, it's abstract without being totally unrecognisable as well which in my book makes this a really photo and a great interpritation on the theme

Back