online back up

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49549

anybody here restored from an online backup?
I have multiple hard drive back-ups, but after a hard drive failure, would like another off site backup.
I have about 250GB of photos, a mixture of JPEG and raw. Flickr a far as I am aware converts raw files on upload, so that's out. smugmug doesn't support raw without posting extra for Amazon storage. dropbox doesn't have enough space.

What online backup do purple here use? and what experience do users have of restoring from these services

Ive just signed up to carbonite. Well I signed up 3 weeks ago, and its still going through the initial upload.. Only 100GB left :-/

Obviously havent had to restore from it yet though.

Never used online backups before.

Not sure how secure they are.

Always trust my own backups

Obviously never rely solely on online backups!

I also have 2 offsite, 3 internal and 2 external backups

i think its best never to rely on any one backup, on-line or not!!

dollydrive do a seed service (available in uk), for 50 euros or free on plans where you pre-pay more than 100 euros. only thing is i've never heard of them before, and would want to use an established name.

tom - how many gig have you uploaded over the last 3 weeks (and whats your isp upload speed?)

i'm also toying with the idea of moving my pictures of my local drive and onto an external drive. keeping just the current years pictures and the lightroom catalogue on my local drive, and just backing up online this smaller folder. the older picture folders are rarely changed, so a less current backup may suffice.

ps; all this is prompted my macbook hard drive corrupting, and me realising my latest back up was nearly a fortnight old... writing this from my bootcamp partition, cannot reinstall osx on the drive..

EDIT - why did the forum software insert a url for OSX?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a four disk synology box which is setup with raid 5 plus spare, which should cover me.

I've uploaded about 120gb so far, but I'm constantly adding more files, so it never really ends.

I'm on virgin media 30mb, upload speed is, around 1-3mps

TCR4x4 said:
I've uploaded about 120gb so far, but I'm constantly adding more files, so it never really ends.

I'm on virgin media 30mb, upload speed is, around 1-3mps

How much does the online storage cost out of Interst

How much does the online storage cost out of Interst

hi tony,

I'd like to hear people's experience of restoring from carbonite or livedrive. Not sure what to make of the difference in pricing. Are the cheaper options in any way inferior?

I just have. Old computer died completely just before xmas so had to restore everything. I use idrive which is 500GB and 5 clients for $15 a month. It was a bit slow as idrive are based in California. Think I restored about 80GB and it took a while. It was also slow to re-backup everything from new computer as Virgin have a stupid upload limit so you have to mess around stopping a backup outside of certain hours to make sure you don't go over. This is on 50mbit which used to be unlimited.

I have also heard good things about crashplan.

On the upside I don't think I lost anything at all.

I pay more for livedrive as I want ftp access. Don't think the home version allows that. I use that for webserver backup as it is a fraction of acronis true image and you can just dump tar files out to it. I also upload a fair bit to it. Recovers seem ok too as they're essentially peer to peer and don't involve an isp in the middle.

Crashplan seems very good. Keeps 350gb backed up for me for about $5/month. Does its thing in the background when my mac is idle. Seamless. The initial backup takes a while but after that it keeps up nicely and I get an email each day confirming that it is at 100%.

Because of this thread, I uploaded all of my originals to Dropbox. It's gonna have two purposes, it will be a backup and will allow me to show my work to people from my phone. Stuff that's not on Flickr.

Rapscallion said:
hi tony,

[*]carbonite is £42/year unlimited storage, http://www.carbonite.co.uk/help-me-decide/carbonite-backup/pricing
[*]livedrive £50/yr unlimited, http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/
[*]dropbox $199.00/year for 100gb (!!), https://www.dropbox.com/plans
[*]sugarsync $149.00/year for 100gb (!) https://www.sugarsync.com/plans/zhttps://www.sugarsync.com/plans/

I'd like to hear people's experience of restoring from carbonite or livedrive. Not sure what to make of the difference in pricing. Are the cheaper options in any way inferior?

Many Thanks.

Ill take a look today

The cloud is alright until some clown cuts through the cable:eek: Bulldozer and BT cables didn't mix well.

But I use a cycle method, I have 2 hardrives in my PC, synctoy runs once a week moving from my main fast drive to my internal slow backup, then every 3 months i sync with a 1 TB external drive. I also use acronis to clone my hardrive once every 3 months, which is stored in a fireproof box ( cheap one from B&Q).

When I lost my main drive, i simply recovered from backup in 2 hrs, just had to put microsofts 3 zillion upgrades back on:bang:.

My website is powered by Photoshelter, you can upload all your raw files (or send them in a hard drive). However I prefer to upload full size processed jpegs as my hard disk back ups hold my raw files.

I used to use Mozy, but the upload tool too long after every shoot or metadata change, so I invested in more hard drives for a secondary backup.

I use microsoft skydive I have 2 accounts with just under 45Gb I use Lightroom publishing service to write the starred images in LR to a tmp folder on the networking in dng format. I then use another program to keep the skydives in sync with the tmp file. When I reach the end of the year I Delete the tmp folder to free up the space and then create a new sync service for the new year. When I fill up a skydrive I just register a new email address to get another free 25gb.

I would publish straight to the skydrive because you can mount them as a normal harddrive in windows using WebDAV but Lightroom creates a load of tmp files which you can't change the location of which doubles all the read/writes to the net. I backup to a USB harddrive and Have a windows home server that backs up daily I'd hate to pull it all back from the web but if the house burns down I won't loose my photos.

Have signed up to carbonite initial upload is taking ages but its peace of mind also use skydrive for my best raws and have a spare external drive too

My website is powered by Photoshelter, you can upload all your raw files (or send them in a hard drive). However I prefer to upload full size processed jpegs as my hard disk back ups hold my raw files.

I used to use Mozy, but the upload tool too long after every shoot or metadata change, so I invested in more hard drives for a secondary backup.

unfortunately photoshelter would cost me $549.99 / year for the space i need....

I would buy acronis true image and abig external drive. Job done.

Hi matt, i'm on osx. I have a hard drive back up, but was looking for an online additional backup.

I'm not a pro-tog but I my firm handles a fair amount data. I've never considered an online backup facility an option for storage of large amounts of continually changing data. Even with the higher bandwidth available to many these days.

If you value your data then employ a three-tier backup and always keep the big daddy off-site.

livedrive is excellent, (y) accidentally dropped 2000 photos in the trash :shrug: popped on to live drive all back in a couple of hours. and i was,nt going to get it when i bought my mac, as i store every thing on an external. but still managed to cock it up. saved me a lot of grief. also it just runs in the background no need to even check on it.:love:

pc world £30 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/knowhow-cloud-backup-service-1-year-11236963-pdt.html

Last edited:
http://www.crashplan.com - they offer unlimited space with CrashPlan+. If you limit yourself to 1 PC access, you can get away with £23/year ($3/month) for storage. Multiply PC access comes up around £47/year ($6/month). Sync, email reports, good CC.

Hi all,

signed up for crashplan, seems to be the best value online backup with good fedback. i was also looking at carbonite, but apparently they throttle the upload speed at 35gb and more again at 200gb.

http://tinyurl.com/75f7tbz

Thanks all for the help, i'm happy having an additional layer to my backups!

I've tried a couple but all too slow for uploading (and thats with 8MB upstream with BT infinity).

My current backup routine which although not bullet proof isn't too bad in my eyes is (just to bore you)

* Mac backs up to NAS with two drives in RAID.
* Media, Photos, Downloads etc all saved to same NAS
* I have a 2TB drive which is a copy of the NAS (including mac backup) which I keep at work. I bring it home after work on a Monday and then Monday night run another backup of the NAS and take the drive back to work on a Tuesday morning.
* Whenever I have some reasonable changes (say photos after a game) I upload the files to my NAS and dropbox... then when these changes have been backed up to the external drive and taken back to work I delete the files from dropbox.

As far as I can tell I'm pretty well covered as in theory I have including the original 4 copies of everything and the only time all copies are on one site is between about 9PM Monday night and 7:45am Tuesday morning.

The ideal would be a 2nd external drive to rotate between the two so there is always a copy off site but until prices drop I'll live with having a proper offsite copy only 94% of the time.

Bonus is of course with having an external drive offsite rather than an online service is if/when the worst happens its much quicker to get your data back than downloading... down sides are the initial price of the drive (though cheaper than online in the long run) and having to religiously back things up instead of just leaving automated software to do it.

Hi neil,

a raid nas drive is on my future "to buy" list. currently backing up to 2 time machine drives on different sites. I added the online backup to ensure i have 2 up to date backups, as the second time machine backup is only updated every couple of weeks.

I recently had 2 hard drive failures, leaving just the one copy of my photos, and was a little nervous that would fail too.....

I'm currently using Sugarsync for all my data, which has been fantastic over the last couple of years and saved me a few times as it saves copies of deleted files and even changed files automatically. I also have it installed on my work PC (40 miles away) so when I start up the PC, my data is automatically backed up there as well. Also have backups on 2 PCs, 2 laptops and 2 USB drives!

Whilst Sugarsync is great, I've hit my 100G limit and the next step is significantly more money so I'm looking to swap photos to a different online provider. Having spent some time nosing around, I'm finding it difficult to find out which sites run automated backups. I made the mistake of paying for a Picasa upgrade before discovering it bills itself as a 'sharing' site rather than a 'backup' solution and I can't runautomated backups or keep my directory structure.

I found this recent comparison 2012 helpful but this recent post makes it look like Microsoft are about to allow users to buy extra Skydrive space. Every registered MS user already has 25Gb free with their account although only 5Gb can by used for synced folders. If pricing is right, looks like its a no-brainer for MS users as it integrates into windows with their mesh tool.

I'm holding off for a little while until I can see what MS do with Skydrive.

Dean

What's to stop someone backing up all their drive's to a NAS, and then running Crashplan on their drive and paying for only one computer to be backed up with unlimited storage.

Carbonite is great, except when you get to 200Gb backed up, the upload speed falls dramatically.

You need to keep your machine on initially for possibly several weeks to do the initial backup, after that it just churns away in the background.

Carbonite will only backup internal drives.

When I go on holiday, and don't switch my desktop on, I get emails from Carbonite telling me that no backup is being made.

I've only ever retrieved the odd file - no problems.

john-oh said:
Carbonite is great, except when you get to 200Gb backed up, the upload speed falls dramatically.

You need to keep your machine on initially for possibly several weeks to do the initial backup, after that it just churns away in the background.

Carbonite will only backup internal drives.

When I go on holiday, and don't switch my desktop on, I get emails from Carbonite telling me that no backup is being made.

I've only ever retrieved the odd file - no problems.

I finally finished my initial backup 2 days ago. I started it about 5 weeks ago! The computer has been on 24/7 throughout the whole 5 weeks too.

bump

can anybody recommend any efficient sync software (either hosted on windows or osx) for backing up data off-site where the transfer/upload speed is close to that of your isp's rate?

Never used online backups yet. I don't have a level of confidence in in that method of backups yet. I prefer to handle it offline.

Today I met a very nice lady who was robbed over the weekend. She has lost every photo and video of her 11 month old child. What a terrible thing to happen :( She was extremely brave about it but something like that would really mess me up.

I am getting offsite backup first thing tomorrow. At £30 a year or whatever it is it feels like a complete no brainer.

Today I met a very nice lady who was robbed over the weekend. She has lost every photo and video of her 11 month old child. What a terrible thing to happen :( She was extremely brave about it but something like that would really mess me up.

I am getting offsite backup first thing tomorrow. At £30 a year or whatever it is it feels like a complete no brainer.

Good move. I wouldn't be without off-site backups.

That's exactly why off-site back ups are so important. Theft, fire, water damage or the like, at your home or office could leave you crying without off-site backups.

I have been running clashplan for a day now. You should know that the upload speed seems to be limited to 2mbps regardless of your available bandwidth. It's going to take many days to get everything uploaded. Had been hoping for a faster upload speed /sigh.

as i write this it is pegged at 1.1mpbs even though i have more than 10mbps available to me.. not good :(

Upload speeds with ADSL are usually a lot slower than download speeds (the A stands for asymetric).

Speedtest.net%20-%20The%20Global%20Broadband%20Speed%20Test-1.jpg

Boooo

Do any ISP's provide quick upload?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back