Online buying at the moment

Same. I filled up my car with petrol 2 weeks ago and have driven about 6 miles since, so that's likely to last me about 3 months rather than 3 weeks. No temptation to 'pop to the shop', our weekly shop is all we are getting. No coffees at work etc, no days out, non-essential Amazon items all have about a month lead time so there is no urge to buy anything random.

there was an interesting challenge at a workplace where workers are asked to work from home. A question came in as to whether the employee would be reimbursed for the additional electricity used up working from home. It was pointed out (and I assume a quick calculation was done) that the savings from the average distance travelled to the workplace no longer being a factor would more than offset the 1 to 3 kWh (it’s about 25-30p kWh) additional electricity. (assumed fuel per mile is 7p). A round trip to work and back of anything around 12 miles would be the break even point.

there was an interesting challenge at a workplace where workers are asked to work from home. A question came in as to whether the employee would be reimbursed for the additional electricity used up working from home. It was pointed out (and I assume a quick calculation was done) that the savings from the average distance travelled to the workplace no longer being a factor would more than offset the 1 to 3 kWh (it’s about 25-30p kWh) additional electricity. (assumed fuel per mile is 7p). A round trip to work and back of anything around 12 miles would be the break even point.

I would think that being able to work and get paid, when many are going to the wall or trying to survive on 80% less tax, would be recompense enough. :)

Filled up with fuel a week or two before lockdown. Wish I'd waited - it's about 15p/litre cheaper now!

Filled up with fuel a week or two before lockdown. Wish I'd waited - it's about 15p/litre cheaper now!
Is that some sort of desperation to try to get cash flowing. With all these company bail outs and government funding propping up shortfalls, you have to wonder where its going to end up being recovered from.

With all these company bail outs and government funding propping up shortfalls, you have to wonder where its going to end up being recovered from.

Jeff Bezos and his ilk?

Thinking of panic buying and hoarding, got loads of two lit plastic bottles what could go wrong

oops-emoticon-vector-17648785.jpg

Is that some sort of desperation to try to get cash flowing. With all these company bail outs and government funding propping up shortfalls, you have to wonder where its going to end up being recovered from.

Oil prices have fallen.

No bad thing as road fuel is far too expensive. Sadly my situation does not permit buying a nice large engined car to take advantage of this situation - not that I am actually allowed to drive it other than to the supermarket and work.

It's almost like the price of crude oil has dropped to a 15 year low...

Oil prices have fallen.

No bad thing as road fuel is far too expensive. Sadly my situation does not permit buying a nice large engined car to take advantage of this situation - not that I am actually allowed to drive it other than to the supermarket and work.
Remember that a large percentage of the price of petrol in the UK is TAX.
If the government find themselves with a large deficit at the end of all this, then that tax is likely to increase, especially if the base price has fallen.

I would think that being able to work and get paid, when many are going to the wall or trying to survive on 80% less tax, would be recompense enough. :)

For some people there is no such thing as enough.

Remember that a large percentage of the price of petrol in the UK is TAX.
If the government find themselves with a large deficit at the end of all this, then that tax is likely to increase, especially if the base price has fallen.
I did hear one suggestion a little while ago, that the price of fuel should be fixed for a period of 12 months with the tax amount varying over the period i.e you fix the price of petrol at say £1 per litre. If the price of the raw product is 30p the tax would be 70p if the price fell to 20p the tax increases to 80p and vice versa

Might be another recession
Might be? There will be a recession announced in two quarters time, quickly followed by the worst depression ever. The previous worst on record was in 1929 and that only ended (on a micro level at least) when the 2nd world war happened, and of course got even worse on a macro level.

We're looking at very hard times to come, and it's obvious to me that at my advanced age I won't live long enough to see the end of the coming depression.

I'm now in a posistion that I can afford a Tamron 150-600 G2, bloody typical of the virus outbreak to happen now.
I've ordered a new laptop so setting that up will keep me quiet for a while.
Another good thing is the price of diesel, I filled the car up yesterday, the way things are I can see that lasting for months.
Like others I am appreciating my bank balance is a lot better so that's a good thing.

Might be? There will be a recession announced in two quarters time, quickly followed by the worst depression ever. The previous worst on record was in 1929 and that only ended (on a micro level at least) when the 2nd world war happened, and of course got even worse on a macro level.

We're looking at very hard times to come, and it's obvious to me that at my advanced age I won't live long enough to see the end of the coming depression.
so sounds like its a case of reduced salary (80%) which is government funded. Then after this has passed if businesses can restart the government funding will need to be recouped which means taxes increased. One can only hope that the UK is in a good position such that other countries will be jumping after trade deals with us when Brexit needs to be sorted out.

I have made some changes to my on-line buying pattern. Normally Amazon is my goto site for various bits and bobs but now that they have introduced the non-essential delivery dates I have swapped to UK sellers on ebay, and as they normally use RM I feel that it takes the pressure off Amazon's delivery drivers as well. I needed crochet hooks last week - non-essential to Amazon bbut essential to me to fill the time. Delivery was stated beginning of May at the earliest from all the sellers - ebay I will get them this week. Same for a lot of things.

I have made some changes to my on-line buying pattern. Normally Amazon is my goto site for various bits and bobs but now that they have introduced the non-essential delivery dates I have swapped to UK sellers on ebay, and as they normally use RM I feel that it takes the pressure off Amazon's delivery drivers as well. I needed crochet hooks last week - non-essential to Amazon bbut essential to me to fill the time. Delivery was stated beginning of May at the earliest from all the sellers - ebay I will get them this week. Same for a lot of things.
eBay is my first choice for bits and pieces these days.
Wide choice, good prices and (usually) free delivery.
Just keep an eye on the "item location" - some of the items that ship from China or HongKong can take a while to arrive.

I have made some changes to my on-line buying pattern. Normally Amazon is my goto site for various bits and bobs but now that they have introduced the non-essential delivery dates I have swapped to UK sellers on ebay,

Interesting, I was looking at Amazon for an earphone extension lead for my iPad (video-conferencing) and most were almost a week away but an Amazon Basics item is n its way for delivery fomorrow.

I’m finding there’s not a lot of difference in the delivery timescales. In fact some have been next day.

As well as food and health products anything to help working from home is also classed as essential in terms of next day delivery on Amazon. That's a pretty wide net in my experience, everything from office supplies to bluetooth headphones etc.

Mrs Nod has had a delivery of a headphone/mic so she can teach her Yoga classes more easily. Original arrival date was early May - arrived on Saturday.

I've made 2 orders from on line

First 2 15kg bags of dog food for the hounds, was given an anticipated delivery of 15th April, but received email this morning saying it's been dispatched, so just depends how long the delivery company takes, but should be tomorrow or Wednesday hopefully

The other, a whim from Wex, which I understand they are still dispatching orders on the day ordered... Checked my account and it says anticpated delivery Tuesday 7th, well checking again it appears it hasn't been dispatched.. Which is fine I do kinda of understand, but why oh why can't they give mark up a couple more days when they give you the anticipated delivery date. Then if you don't get it next day, or day after you won't be disappointed, but if it gets to you sooner then brilliant it becomes a cheerful bonus..

I bought a small item on ebay a week ago it's Yodel courier (I'd assumed it would be Royal Mail) they seem to be in slow motion on the tracking, 5 days to get to main sorting so far.
It does say delays likely.
It would be stressful if higher value items are going to take several days longer than normal

I bought a small item on ebay a week ago it's Yodel courier (I'd assumed it would be Royal Mail) they seem to be in slow motion on the tracking, 5 days to get to main sorting so far.
It does say delays likely.
It would be stressful if higher value items are going to take several days longer than normal
Stressful?
Why would that be stressful?

Are people finding some photo kit harder to get as I suspect new stocks aren’t being produced in quantity if they come from the far east?

And one also has to ponder whether Parcel Force have stopped using their tracking system

Parcel A, ordered Sunday dispatched Monday, Tracking number supplied.... Still no information concerning the parcel or where it's too.
Parcel B, ordered yesterday dispatched today, Tracking number supplied no information as yet.

Yep, may be a bit early for parcel B's track to be logged onto the system, but parcel A, dispatched over 24 hours ago, Tracker number supplied and no information not even that they've received it, or it's reached on of their depo's and awaiting going into the system!

This is actually so frustrating, knowing parcels have been sent, tracking numbers given but you have no idea where they are too, or when they may be delivered!

Just bought something off MPB and things seem to be running smoothly there. I have the DPD tracking number, and that all seems to be working also.

Hermes confirmed delivery of my bird food and feeders this morning ... heaven only knows where they delivered it bexause it hasn't come here! :(

@Ellie Jones more likely that the parcels haven't been picked up yet - if you book a collection, usually it happens same day. Now it's up to 3 days around here for a pickup.

@gramps check your pocket - the PoD photo will look exactly like you took a picture of the inside of your pocket

Hermes confirmed delivery of my bird food and feeders this morning ... heaven only knows where they delivered it bexause it hasn't come here! :(

Garden Wildlife Direct use DPD so we use them!

When our (well, the Starlings!) mealworms were delivered yesterday, the DPD man asked if it was OK to take a photo of the open door as proof of delivery. Apparently they're not allowed to take a shot of the person accepting the delivery, even though I offered.

Are people finding some photo kit harder to get as I suspect new stocks aren’t being produced in quantity if they come from the far east?

An educated guess is more the available shipping schedule.
Ocean freight(24-28 days) has seen cancelled sailings to keep the boats full in the face of lower demand. Air freight is much more expensive as a fair proportion moves in the holds of passenger aircraft (e.g 42% of USA to Europe, not sure on the proportion for Far East).

the DPD man asked if it was OK to take a photo of the open door as proof of delivery.

This seems to be standard for DPD.

The Hermes lady we spoke to has seen volumes get up to Christmas levels at the moment. Sadly (or not depending on your POV) there are plenty of people looking for work to help out. She said they now have a pilot working for them as a delivery driver. Strange times.

Easy cop-out, covid-19 so not doing signatures etc.
They're still taking the photos - I have 3 classics of the "goods in" guys at work doing jazz hands - courtesy of Herpes

Our usual DPD driver is doing. around 120-150 deliveries a day, as he is paid per delivery, he is loving the extra work and cash.

Getting near daily deliveries of books and maps during this extended "planning phase", no real change in timings from Amazon or 3rd party vendors/RM. Also got a 500mm PF from Panamoz that took about 6 days and a 35mm from Grays in 2 days:)

GC

Back