Online photo sharing - Flickr or Thumbsnap or another?

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
No
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but what is the advice on a photo sharing site.

I want to upload photos onto a web page so I can share them in such forums as this and pistonheads, to name a couple.

I don't think Picasa does it anymore, so I need a new one?

Flickr? - seems to want a yahoo login....yet another one I don't need.
Thumbsnap? - wants to login using twitter
Photobucket? - looks the best on offer.....

any link into PS elements automatically?

Thanks in advance.

Flickr is the norm and allows for powerful online organisation as well as simple forum embedding. Give it a go on a free account. Flickr also has a themed groups where you can share images between enthusiasts. Very useful for peer review as well as information sharing on special interests.

I use Flickr, of course it needs a log in but you won't find any sort of hosting service that won't need an account/log in of some sort. I've used photo bucket in the past and found it to be a faceache, Flickr is much better. As said you can share pictures if you wish amongst that community, or you can be antisocial like me and use it purely for sharing with friends & family, or posting into forums as you mentioned.

I use Botophucket... sorry, photo-bucket. Have done for probably ten years of more.
Was a free way to increase my alloted free web-space for my hobby-site, when my ISP gave 50Mb and thought that 'generouse':LOL: Free account gave me a wopping 1 Giga-bite to host photo's!
They have made numerouse 'upgrades' over the years, to the up-loader sortware... this tends to be the main area of messing, and it's always a contension.
Anoyingly, most free hosting sites don't support any 'direct' access to server space. In the ood days that was FTP access... you had to buy the pro-services for such stuff, so you were left with the 'House-Wife-Freindly' web-portal, that often only let you upload one image at a time, and would often regect anything over accepted file size, or auto-re-size.
They have got better over the years, though and P-B has had a 'bulk' uploader for a while, and latest version launched this year is a neat 'drag and drop' affair.
But they have changed the interface, and accessing albums can be a bit slow, while they have half hiden the pre-tagged image links.
There's then some limited photo-ed functions.
I basically use it JUST to host images pre-edited for display; so just a matter of getting them up-loaded and organised in albums, and that sussed, its easy enough to use.
One 'nice' thing about Photo-Bucket is that they retain your original file-name.

I've not used Flikr... and from what I have seen of it.... it's trying to do a lot more by way of allowing viewer as well as uploader comments like You-Tube, and 'stuff'... rather than just hosting, and gets rather more convoluted about image protection.

I use Face-Book. Mostly for family snaps. Its where the kids look, isn't it? Meand I can restrict access to some degree with family or freinds lists, but I can still right-click to gain image URL to display the picture on a web-page or forum if I manually stick the tags I need round it. Face-book doesn't retain original file-name though, so you cant do it 'blind' and construct the img url, without getting it off FB.

Couple of 'subscription' hosting sites linked to dedicated camera software have presented themselves to me; one Kodak-Easy-Share, came with a compact, and tried offering me a Kodak hosting site 'free trial'.... likewise Nikons ViewNX... I have tried neither.... they may, for a price, make it easier to go straight from camera to web... but that benefit is marginal, I think.

Basically... if they are free..... sign up for a web-mail address... so you can give them an e-mail account on sign up.... sight up... and try them out.... see which you preffer, and does best what you want.

Thanks all. I've set up Flickr as I've found I can upload straight from Elements, (also Facebook as I have learnt).

Next problem, how and which is the correct link to put into the forums?

one with [ IMG ] http your image url [ /IMG ] tags... (only without spaces between the [ and IMG

From the wihite image displaybsge - just above thebimage -!Share button, "grab the HTML / bbcode" option.

Cut and paste into the forum reply dialogue.

Easy

Back