Online storage for photos

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Im looking for an online storage solution that I can use to back up my final images to, but also one that allows me to delete them from the main hdd but stay in the cloud.

I understand there are many like Dropbox etc.. but just wanted some advice on the best one that doesn't cost a fortune and allows the keep in cloud feature.

Thanks, Joe

If you are using Windows, I would definitely have a play with Onedrives features. You can right click on any file or folder and click “free up space” which essentially deletes the local copy but leaves it in the cloud and keeps it visible.

However if you don’t want to be able to see the files, you can just choose to not sync the folder and it’ll only be accessible via the cloud.

I think it’s roughly about £7pm for Office 365 which comes with 1TB of cloud storage.

If you are using Windows, I would definitely have a play with Onedrives features. You can right click on any file or folder and click “free up space” which essentially deletes the local copy but leaves it in the cloud and keeps it visible.

However if you don’t want to be able to see the files, you can just choose to not sync the folder and it’ll only be accessible via the cloud.

I think it’s roughly about £7pm for Office 365 which comes with 1TB of cloud storage.

Thanks Matt, Im actually a Mac user but I remember reading that Microsoft have made One drive to work well with macOS & its nice to hear it has the feature I want. I will defiantly take a look at that one. Cheers

Hi,

Im looking for an online storage solution that I can use to back up my final images to, but also one that allows me to delete them from the main hdd but stay in the cloud.

I understand there are many like Dropbox etc.. but just wanted some advice on the best one that doesn't cost a fortune and allows the keep in cloud feature.

Thanks, Joe

Are you talking about having your images on the Cloud, in order to access it from anywhere and from any computers, at any time?

If so, then any online storage services can do that, there are plenty of them around, examples being...
  • Microsoft OneDrive
  • Apple iCloud
  • Dropbox
  • Google Drive (or something like that)
  • and many other less well known brands
But...

If you mean you want to backup to the cloud and leave it alone, for the future. That is, not actually accessing them anytime, just have it on the cloud so you could free up storage space on your hard drive, then...

You need online backup services which is different, some examples are...
  • Backblaze
Actually, that's all I could think of, but there are plenty of other services out there.

Are you talking about having your images on the Cloud, in order to access it from anywhere and from any computers, at any time?

If so, then any online storage services can do that, there are plenty of them around, examples being...
  • Microsoft OneDrive
  • Apple iCloud
  • Dropbox
But...

If you mean you want to backup to the cloud and leave it alone, for the future. That is, not actually accessing them anytime, just have it on the cloud so you could free up storage space on your hard drive, then...

• Backblaze
Actually, that's all I could think of, but there are plenty of other services out there.
Thank you for this, very much appreciated and I will definitely take a look at these :)

Thank you for this, very much appreciated and I will definitely take a look at these :)

If you're with BT you will have free online storage, which most customers aren't aware of. Size depends on your broadband. I'm on fibre 1 and have 200gb.

• Microsoft OneDrive
  • Apple iCloud
  • Dropbox
But...

• Backblaze

OneDrive and Dropbox both allow you to store files online and not consume any space on your PC

OneDrive and Dropbox both allow you to store files online and not consume any space on your PC
Since writing this post, these are the two I have been looking at the most, as they both have apps which means I can easily access my images via my mobile devices. I’m just trying to work out whether to go one drive and have 1tb but the office software or Dropbox and have 2tb storage aha

Crashplan keeps all files backed up including deleted files.
when I searched some time ago it was one of the only back up services that does this.
note that services like Dropbox are not really backup services. If you inadvertently delete or change your file, Dropbox will sync your changes to the cloud. If you don’t notice this within, I think 30 days you have lost your file (s).
I also think backblaze removes deleted files after a certain window.
I would suggest to all that your backup software is
- Automatic
- Retains deleted files
- Keeps versions of files
You may not access a certain file for months / years, so long term retention and versioning is a must.

Back