Only the last airworthy Sabre

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
We were told that this is a Sabre and the last airworthy one in the world (after restoration) and its because it has a rotary engine and not a Griffin:shrug: no processig done ....yet:naughty:

DSC_0003-1.jpg

I believe that the aircraft is actually a Hawker Tempest and it's the engine that's the Sabre (made by Napier and Sons)

Bob

The original engine was the Napier Sabre, this can be identified by the chin radiator. The Tempest II was fitted with the radial Bristol Centaurus 18 cylinder engine and this is the aircraft in the photo.

"Rotary" was a design of engine used extensively in WW1 where the cylinders revolved around the crankshaft, "Radial" is the exact opposite; static cylinders revolving crank.

Would love to see a Tempest fly, although in reality the Mk II is similar to the later Sea Fury.

No unfortunately this was the only angle we could get and as to what it actually is we were told by a spotter who was over excited as to seeing this, its history.
I made the mistake of saying "what is it" he then said what you dont know what this is ....its the last ever sabre that will ever fly and proceeded to tell me the history in a very excited way so I am still lost as to what it is lol

I dont know the quality but Eileen is resizing a shot to see if that helps

Heres 3 I got if its any help (straight from camera)

SABRE1.jpg

SABRE2.jpg

SABRE3.jpg

Back