Onto Year 3.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a glutton for puinishment :LOL:, I requested my Schedule 1 licence to be renewed for next year, for Kingfishers at a site I now know well.

I got a confirmation e-mail yesterday telling me that I had been successful and I could download and print my licence for next year. :banana: It will start on the 1st February and continue until 30th September.

It struck me though, how quickly the time has gone. Year 2 is now over but already, year 3 is starting to fall into place. I can remember my first application, I posted my application progress here too, never expecting to get a licence and how amazed and shocked I was when I was granted it. The first year was a massive learning curve, mainly about the birds themselves but also, the best ways to photograph them. It was certainly challenging. I decided early on to never bait the Kingfishers, ever, unless a perch is considered 'bait'. This made it all the more challenging but far more satisfying when the birds did perch.

Year 2, I was subconciously putting what I had learned in year one into practice, it made a big difference and I was far more relaxed about what I was doing. The Kingfishers had a tough year last year though, the initial nest failed due to a banking collapse and they also had their challenges with mink, Sparrowhawk and other predation.

My aim this year has been to get images that would rival a paid hide and I think I've done that. I only got mainly perched birds though as the light is usually difficult here in Scotland and under thick tree cover too.

I am hoping to move onto the Holy Grail next year but I have to get out of my comfort zone for that. I have perched, now for a food pass, inflight or flared for perching, regurgitating a pellet, mating, whacking a fish and any thing else that happens that is a bit different. Maybe even diving but predicting that is probably the ultimate challenge with Kingfishers.

Anyway, my licence is in the bag for next year, a bit of a wait yet but it's landscape time now, which will get me through until February.

My labour of love will continue, all being well, for another year at least.

:)

Last edited:
Why one earth do you need a licence to photograph Kinfishers? they are wild birds that can be photographed whereever they are

Last edited:
Why one earth do you need a licence to photograph Kinfishers? they are wild birds that can be photographed whereever they are

You don't need a licence just to photograph them but as a schedule 1 bird they get extra protection near to the nest. Photograph them further down teh river where you are not likely to cause a disturbance - no problem

I'm a glutton for puinishment :LOL:, I requested my Schedule 1 licence to be renewed for next year, for Kingfishers at a site I now know well.

I got a confirmation e-mail yesterday telling me that I had been successful and I could download and print my licence for next year. :banana: It will start on the 1st February and continue until 30th September.

It struck me though, how quickly the time has gone. Year 2 is now over but already, year 3 is starting to fall into place. I can remember my first application, I posted my application progress here too, never expecting to get a licence and how amazed and shocked I was when I was granted it. The first year was a massive learning curve, mainly about the birds themselves but also, the best ways to photograph them. It was certainly challenging. I decided early on to never bait the Kingfishers, ever, unless a perch is considered 'bait'. This made it all the more challenging but far more satisfying when the birds did perch.

Year 2, I was subconciously putting what I had learned in year one into practice, it made a big difference and I was far more relaxed about what I was doing. The Kingfishers had a tough year last year though, the initial nest failed due to a banking collapse and they also had their challenges with mink, Sparrowhawk and other predation.

My aim this year has been to get images that would rival a paid hide and I think I've done that. I only got mainly perched birds though as the light is usually difficult here in Scotland and under thick tree cover too.

I am hoping to move onto the Holy Grail next year but I have to get out of my comfort zone for that. I have perched, now for a food pass, inflight or flared for perching, regurgitating a pellet, mating, whacking a fish and any thing else that happens that is a bit different. Maybe even diving but predicting that is probably the ultimate challenge with Kingfishers.

Anyway, my licnece is in the bag for next year, a bit of a wait yet but it's landscape time now, which will get me through until February.

My labour of love will continue, all being well, for another year at least.

:)

If they use the same part of the bank each year, might be worth setting up places to but branches etc over the winter so they get used to them and you can get them going to perches that are best suited to light, backgrounds etc

Mike

This is because they are Schedule 1 birds and have extra protection, over and above normal protection. It is illegal to disturb a Kingfisher at or near a nest site whilst there is breeding activity. My licence allows me to mainly observe at nest sites and I have to keep records too. My licence allows me to take photos at the nest site, or near it, if I wish. I still have to do my utmost not to disturb them, even though I am licenced. I should've mentioned the reasons for a licence.

You can fill your boots photographing them away from the nest.

That’s brilliant news, good luck.

Thank you.

You don't need a licence just to photograph them but as a schedule 1 bird they get extra protection near to the nest. Photograph them further down teh river where you are not likely to cause a disturbance - no problem

Indeed. (y)

If they use the same part of the bank each year, might be worth setting up places to but branches etc over the winter so they get used to them and you can get them going to perches that are best suited to light, backgrounds etc

Mike

Yes Mike, I am planning on that this year. I put 2 out last year but I have to be careful as there is a footpath nearby and I don't want to draw attention to the site. My 2 from last year are long gone, with recent river spates, so it's time for a few fresh ones. (y)

As noted above it is about the Kingfisher's Schedule 1 status

Thanks,

I always like it when someone asks, as it raises awareness. It's suprising what is on the list, Red Kites for example. (y)

Mate as always each year ( jees it's 3 now) massive grats,not only that mate but the details ya give us. the info........the stuff you share here thank you. (y)

Dale can you only apply for one specific spot on one license ? I was going to ask more mate,but can't remember what you have shared privately,numpty I am :LOL: ,so me hands are tied bar one noted point here above.

Does the use of bait effect the license. if no what are your concerns buddy?

Dale I've sort of never really understood why feeding birds or beasties upsets some image makers.....I get we are all passionate,just can't get me head around the why's of some feeliing so strongly. I know we have discussed some of this before .to me so so much of the natural world is struggling.......jeepers the latest WWF figures are harrowing...so a bit of help ( with care mate great care) doesn't seem such a bad thing. If a tog get's a few frame off the back of that again not such a bad thiing.

Buddy Ii get the flip side too....it's nice trying to outwit the critters with no bait going further) no hide nuffin.......I adore that stuff as well you know... bar the specific first Q just fiind these thoughts interesting

take care mucker all the luck in the world for next year...ha ha doesn't going back over an over on the same species teach ya stuff !! ;)

stu

Mate as always each year ( jees it's 3 now) massive grats,not only that mate but the details ya give us. the info........the stuff you share here thank you. (y)

Dale can you only apply for one specific spot on one license ? I was going to ask more mate,but can't remember what you have shared privately,numpty I am :LOL: ,so me hands are tied bar one noted point here above.

Does the use of bait effect the license. if no what are your concerns buddy?

Dale I've sort of never really understood why feeding birds or beasties upsets some image makers.....I get we are all passionate,just can't get me head around the why's of some feeliing so strongly. I know we have discussed some of this before .to me so so much of the natural world is struggling.......jeepers the latest WWF figures are harrowing...so a bit of help ( with care mate great care) doesn't seem such a bad thing. If a tog get's a few frame off the back of that again not such a bad thiing.

Buddy Ii get the flip side too....it's nice trying to outwit the critters with no bait going further) no hide nuffin.......I adore that stuff as well you know... bar the specific first Q just fiind these thoughts interesting

take care mucker all the luck in the world for next year...ha ha doesn't going back over an over on the same species teach ya stuff !! ;)

stu

Thanks Stu, appreciated.

My first licence 2 years ago was just for one grid reference. It was for Kingfisher but I had to report any other Sched 1 species within that grid. Last year, I was licenced for the same grid reference as last year to begin with. The Kingfishers paired up mid March and by the 19th, they (or he) was burrowing just about 2 feet down from the second burrow from last year. I feel the burrow was completed, there may even have been eggs but then, some mishap occurred that caused the nest to fail. I think it was a banking collapse, or maybe mink. I lost count of mink last year.

Long story short, I watched the site for a while afterwards but I wasn't even getting flybys. Then, one evening, walking back to the car, I heard a Kingfisher, then it bombed past me upriver, closely followed by another. I went back the next day and watched and right enough, they'd started to nest upriver. There was one snag though, it was outside my grid reference. So I wasn't licenced at the new nest site and I had to keep my distance. I contacted the licensing folk and I didn't hear anything for about 7 weeks but eventually, I was granted on the other grid reference, plus another one adjoining as well as retaining my first one, so I was now licenced at 3 grid refernces in the end. I asked for my licence to be renewed again not long after I did my return the first week of October just past. I asked to keep my original grid reference as I feel it's more likely the Kingfishers will try it again next year. My licence came through last week and still with all 3 grid references for 2023. (y)

I'm guessing the licencing authority might not approve of live baiting. I'm not absolutely sure on that though. Paid hides live bait all the time and some of them must be operating under a licence, at a guess.

I have no problem baiting with seeds etc, I do it all the time, or even dead baiting BOPs with commercial pet foods or roadkill. Something does bug me about live baiting (with fish) though, it's a subconcious thing that I just can't pin down.

I think the extra challange also appeals to my bloody minded side. It's very satisfying when a Kingfisher choses my perch, out of the millions it could land on that are there naturally, especially as that little stick is the only appealing thing to the Kingfisher at the time. It's funny though, there will probably be fish under my perch, I often look for shoals of minnows or bigger fish fry and put a perch over them. They can escape though and I think that's where the difference lies for me. There's just something that I'm not keen on about having them boxed in, with no means of escape, not to mention the possibilty of the Kingfisher hurting itself diving into a box or bucket. I would be devastated.

It is more challenging unbaited too and that does appeal to me, it's very satisfying when a Kingfisher does perch on my perch. I'm bloody minded like that. When they use it over and over, that's just the ultimate for me. I often do 8 or 9 hours stints and it's not uncommon that once a Kingfisher finds my perch, it will visit it several times during the stint and often sit there for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, just feet from me. I love that, images are secondary for me at that point.

Baiting with fish might speed things up and get more visits but being honest, I don't think it's really neccesary. :)

Good to hear (y)
Lets hope for a better year!
Having said that I've seen more this month than in my whole life :LOL:

Who let @Stuart Philpott out of his hole again?? ;):wave:

Cheers Gav. I hope they have better fortune next year, it was a tough one this last year.

I was worried about Stu, not heard off him for a while, but I know he's grafting hard too. Glad to see him back and all is well. (y)

Last edited:
Dale cheers for the wonderful reply buddy honest and depth,,thanks muchly bud. I share many many of the sentiments.ha I get so wrapped up in those fairy dust moments Dale, so wrapped up,it becomes almost hard being an imagemaker.there's an irony to that !!

Forgive the brevity work load is obscene right now I'm having to do me wages at the weekend is horrible,but pulling so many hours in the week no choice.

Ey up Gav,,,breif stop by mate can't wait to get back making images I'm hungrier than a hungry thang.starting too close on campy build mate.!! Damn it's taken a long time......it'll be a tiny dream sorted when it's done. ha can't wait

Take care both just gonna sneak a look at your piccies Gav fair play bro you've done great this year, So much progress :cool: (y)

Well done Dale, that's great news!

I have no idea where my Kingfishers are nesting (apart from somewhere on the main lake). However, I found their main feeding area a few years ago and have been rewarded with hundreds of images of them fishing/stunning/feeding ever since.

This time of year, I am getting less frequent visits, but the female continues to feed and chase off any unwanted 'competitors' to her territory.

To try to get some different images, I have recently changed most of the perches that I put in place a few years ago and added some additional (lower) perches, in the hope of getting more diving shots.

My Simon King 'pop-up' hide has now been permanently 'on-site' for three years and I have no idea how it has survived our extreme weather!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful images.

Well done Dale, that's great news!

I have no idea where my Kingfishers are nesting (apart from somewhere on the main lake). However, I found their main feeding area a few years ago and have been rewarded with hundreds of images of them fishing/stunning/feeding ever since.

This time of year, I am getting less frequent visits, but the female continues to feed and chase off any unwanted 'competitors' to her territory.

To try to get some different images, I have recently changed most of the perches that I put in place a few years ago and added some additional (lower) perches, in the hope of getting more diving shots.

My Simon King 'pop-up' hide has now been permanently 'on-site' for three years and I have no idea how it has survived our extreme weather!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful images.

Thank you Glynn, wise words.

I am having an bit of an enforced break from Kingfishers at the moment. It's very quiet now as the young have dispersed and there are just 2 adults about at 2 sites. One is still quite active and I could get images I'm sure if I put the time in. I have to be careful though as 'my' sites are quite public.

I do think I need some time away from them for now though, I will leave them until early next year. I'm going to pursue my other love for a few months now, landscapes.

Back