Oooops.....! You don't want to do it like that....

Hear talk of recovering the oil from the vessel ... if that leaks (hopefully not!) there will be considerable fallout.
As an aside, is this not an area where a pilot ship would be in operation?

Nice shot by the way :)

You would normally have a pilot on board when navigating the Solent. Unless it's a regular run for that particular captain and he has the correct paper work. Either way somebody is going to have their knuckles rapped.

Nice Dave, I nearly made the trip down there ;)

Told you that lens was worth the money (y)

Excellent shot Dave.............clean, sharp and nicely composed. Did you take that from the Ferry?

Nice Dave, I nearly made the trip down there ;)

Told you that lens was worth the money (y)
You should of Ingid, and yes it is.

Excellent shot Dave.............clean, sharp and nicely composed. Did you take that from the Ferry?
Yes Keith, it's just too far to get a clear shot from the shore unless you're on the IOW.

I have seen some good shots taken from this side.
Steve.

To get this view of the top of the ship you need to shoot from Lee-On-Solent or Meon Shore, which with the haze and poor light is too far away (for the equipment I was using). You can get closer at Calshot, but from there you only see the underside. From the Isle Of Wight it's possible to get a closer shot from the rear top quarter.

Here's a shot from Meon Shore taken this morning (crop body, 400mm lens):

Life Goes On..... by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Just been watching the news.................one of the people rescued was the pilot. He'll have some explaining to do - although one theory is that it was run aground deliberately as something had gone wrong with the ship! No doubt all will become clear in due course.

To get this view of the top of the ship you need to shoot from Lee-On-Solent or Meon Shore, which with the haze and poor light is too far away (for the equipment I was using). You can get closer at Calshot, but from there you only see the underside. From the Isle Of Wight it's possible to get a closer shot from the rear top quarter.

Here's a shot from Meon Shore taken this morning (crop body, 400mm lens):

Life Goes On..... by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

:LOL: I'm sorry but I can't help but be reminded of those comedy sketches, you know the sort, disaster all round and some bloke in an overall wonders through the scene sweeping up

Great shot.
Apparently they deliberately ran her aground, as she was starting to list, and was in danger of capsizing.

You have to wonder at the inherent stability of some of these modern ships, particularly cruise liners, they always look top heavy to me.

You have to wonder at the inherent stability of some of these modern ships, particularly cruise liners, they always look top heavy to me.
I heard a report that the ship started to list badly as they left port and that they'd beached on the sand bar intentionaly.

Great shot.
Apparently they deliberately ran her aground, as she was starting to list, and was in danger of capsizing.

If this was the case them maybe the team doing the parking on board is due the telling off :eek: it was interesting I watched a program recently where they were loading a vehicle transporter, and they had to work darn fast to get it out on time...

If this was the case them maybe the team doing the parking on board is due the telling off :eek: it was interesting I watched a program recently where they were loading a vehicle transporter, and they had to work darn fast to get it out on time...

My thought everytime I look at the photos [apart from comedy sketches] is whether it now looks like a scrap yard in side :confused:

My thought everytime I look at the photos [apart from comedy sketches] is whether it now looks like a scrap yard in side :confused:

Yes I was thinking that too...they will likely all look like I've been driving them :LOL: though pleased to report I drove for the first time since the crash two nights ago, and all went well (y)

Really good shots. I came on hoping/expecting to see some. Really good quality.

My understanding is that the captain is being praised for doing this as it was starting to list badly and the lives of the crew were in danger so it seems to me that the focus of the investigation will be concerning the loading layout of the cars and how well they were secured.

Out of interest I wondered what the job title is for that. Anyone know ? Best I can come up with is responsibility lies with the Master (Load Master ??) or the 1st. Officer. My uncle did that job on the Liverpool docks in the 50's.

"I grounded her intentionally because it was sinking to one side and was about to capsize. Must have been loaded badly"

*looks through porthole*

"See, all the cars are in a heap on one side. That's the problem!"

Ken... Our thoughts exactly. We like cruises ..the first we went on was back in 1998 on Royal Caribbean 'Majesty of the Seas'..800 passengers but they're monsters today . RC's two latest, as mentioned in the first link below each carry 8000 passengers. So, for two reasons we won't go on the new giant ships.

1.The number of passengers.

2. They look top heavy. What can happen ,will happen is my steering guide through life.

Maybe I should change the order of those..Lol.

Here are two articles on the matter and they don't make for comfortable reading.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/03/articles/sinking/are-cruise-ships-dangerously-top-heavy/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16599236

After hearing a lot about this and seeing many news photos, its easy to say this could fit in just as well. Well taken, very sharp and a strange view.

Couple of good photos of the ship, the first one shows the upper deck area which due to the height of these ships is rarely seen, but I really like the second one with the guy in the foreground paddling past on his surfboard?, and paying no attention to the wreck.

Having spent nine years at sea as an Electrical Officer between the late sixties and mid seventies, and experienced a number of emergencies, it gives me a bit of an advantage in looking at the possible causes of the list. I saw the press conference on Sunday and for the Captain and Pilot to have come to the decision to reverse course and put her aground on Bramble Bank as quickly as they did showed excellent seamanship.

Since she had already come down the Solent without listing she probably wasn't inherently unstable, and even if she had been, and started to list when turning to starboard (right) when rounding Calshot she would have tilted to port since ships lean towards the outside of their turn. I think that the two most probable causes are either that a mistake was made when pumping ballast and that it was pumped out of, instead of into, the ballast tanks thereby making her unstable; or, as the engine room and other machinery spaces contain a number of very large pipes carrying seawater for cooling purposes, one of them suffered a fracture or a joint failed. The latter happened to a ship I was on and we very nearly had a flooded engine room, which given that it was a loaded tanker, would have probably resulted in her sinking.

Good opportunity for more images tomorrow 7/1/15 at noon as they are planning to re-float her.

From all accounts the cars are secure, one JCB machine broke its anchors.

Technically it appears the ballast system is the cause of the list resulting in the forced grounding. Wonder if it had a software update when alongside????

Good opportunity for more images tomorrow 7/1/15 at noon as they are planning to re-float her.

From all accounts the cars are secure, one JCB machine broke its anchors.

Technically it appears the ballast system is the cause of the list resulting in the forced grounding. Wonder if it had a software update when alongside????

I bet there are some insurers of the cars/plant breathing huge sighs of relief if that is the case!

Good luck to the crews involved, hope it all goes well for them.

Last edited:
I bet there are some insurers of the cars/plant breathing huge sighs of relief if that is the case!

True though it one JCB got loose there still going to be a few very damaged cars :eek: nothing like I'd fear though :LOL:

Can't remember where I read it but the story said that BMW were planning to repair the damaged Minis and to sell them as new. IF they're undamaged, I can't see a problem but knocking out something that's been (basically) crashed as brand new seems a bit naughty to me. Not going to be a problem for UK buyers though - the cars are left hookers!

Can't remember where I read it but the story said that BMW were planning to repair the damaged Minis and to sell them as new. IF they're undamaged, I can't see a problem but knocking out something that's been (basically) crashed as brand new seems a bit naughty to me. Not going to be a problem for UK buyers though - the cars are left hookers!

How do you actually know any 'new' car hasn't been crashed and repaired before you take ownership?

The re-floating operation has been called off for today.

Other reports are saying they may all be scrapped, based on events a few years ago when a ship beached with a few hundred mazdas on board - the cars were apparently undamaged but Mazda didn't want any legal problems down the line if the cars were involved in a crash.

Back