ooops! Guess I'm committed printing my own stuff now :D

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I didn't really expect to win but I have just won an auction for a Durst F30. It has no lens but everything else is in working order. Not bad for £41 all in I guess :D

Now a few questions for you, what lens would you recommend? It's an M39 thread.

Do enlarger lens work the same way camera lenses do, 50mm is wider than 75mm?

I better order some Multigrade paper, I already have Ilford rapid fix and stop bath as I process my own film. I believe I can use Rodinal (my preferred developer) but it's better to get one designedor paper, what developer should a beginner us with say Ilford Multigrade paper?

Exciting and fun times ahead.

Cheers.

Many congrats! There's nothing like a well placed accidental purchase to make life a little more interesting!

I'll apologise straight away, I'm of little help when it comes to enlarging, as I've not done this for 16 odd years. From the brief bit of research I did into whether Ilford positive paper can be developed with film developer, the answer is yes. However it should be noted that the concentration of Rodinal had to be much higher than what is typically used for film, and even then it took considerably longer to develop the paper. This may be an advantage if timing consistency and relative accuracy is important to you, but I suspect most will likely come back to you here with advice in favour of using paper developer instead. Either way, really looking forward to seeing your results!

Better to use a developer designed for paper, or failing that, a universal developer (assuming they are still made).

Enlarger lenses: the importance of focal length is that it controls the magnification - just as a camera lens does. But in this case, since everything is working in reverse, the shorter the focal length the higher to magnification at the baseboard. Go too short, and it might not cover the format; go too long and the enlarger has to be further up the column which has two effects: longer exposure times (inverse square law) and dimmer image to focus on, and more possibility of vibration. Think tripod at maximum extension with centre column raised. This latter may not be a problem, depending on the design, of course. It's usual to choose a focal length about that of the standard lens for the format. In my case, I used 50mm for 35mm (may not still have it!) 80mm for roll film and 150mm for 5x4.

Better to use a developer designed for paper, or failing that, a universal developer (assuming they are still made).

Enlarger lenses: the importance of focal length is that it controls the magnification - just as a camera lens does. But in this case, since everything is working in reverse, the shorter the focal length the higher to magnification at the baseboard. Go too short, and it might not cover the format; go too long and the enlarger has to be further up the column which has two effects: longer exposure times (inverse square law) and dimmer image to focus on, and more possibility of vibration. Think tripod at maximum extension with centre column raised. This latter may not be a problem, depending on the design, of course. It's usual to choose a focal length about that of the standard lens for the format. In my case, I used 50mm for 35mm (may not still have it!) 80mm for roll film and 150mm for 5x4.
Thanks Stephan, I currently have a bid on a 50mm f4.5 lens. Cheap enough, I don't won't to spend too much just yet.

Also ordered some Ilford multigrade paper and developer.

Now need a focus finder.

I assume you have a safelight and dishes?

And a small correction - my lens for 5x4 is 135mm. It gives a slightly larger image.

Last edited:
That's probably a safety light :exit:

Now have some developing trays that are not cat litter trays [emoji1787]

Got 4 for £11 so I'm happy with that [emoji250]

When I started out printing in 1973 I was told that the enlarging lens should have the same focal length as the taking lens - no usable zoom lenses back then. I always stuck with the 50mm lens that the enlarged came with.

When I started out printing in 1973 I was told that the enlarging lens should have the same focal length as the taking lens - no usable zoom lenses back then. I always stuck with the 50mm lens that the enlarged came with.
Interesting, how the hell you'd do that with a decent 24-70 zoom [emoji38] and remember what the zoom was at when the picture was taken [emoji848][emoji28]

Interesting, how the hell you'd do that with a decent 24-70 zoom [emoji38] and remember what the zoom was at when the picture was taken [emoji848][emoji28]
Well, I did say that at the point I was given that advice, usable zoom lenses were not available.

Back