Ooops, Nothing to See Here... Move Along Now!

Fascinating. I always say that you learn something new every day - if you're not careful!

Ian Dury and Plaistow Patricia were both new to me.

Fascinating. I always say that you learn something new every day - if you're not careful!

Ian Dury and Plaistow Patricia were both new to me.

Ian Dury was a poet, maybe a punk poet but a poet all the same. John Cooper Clarke, now there's another punk poet, very clever and funny.

Last edited:
Another name new to me! And without using Google, "hairy rocker" conveys nothing to me except the sneaking suspicion that it doesn't mean Elvis Presley with long hair and a beard (the only meaning I can arrive at from known terms)....

You can see which parts of my education got missed out.

In one of those totally random reconnecting of synaptic links long since frayed to the most tenuous thread by age and alcohol, all this talk of J.C.C. (whose work I always enjoy and it’s good to see him doing the rounds on the media again this past year) prompted me to think of Murray Lachlan Young. Why him, beyond I also use to enjoy his poetry when he had a semi-regular slot on some radio 4 show, I don’t know but a bit of goolgling led me to this, which seemed relevant to my current state of mind :)

http://www.murraylachlanyoung.co.uk/poems/Middle-aged-and-forty

Another name new to me! And without using Google, "hairy rocker" conveys nothing to me except the sneaking suspicion that it doesn't mean Elvis Presley with long hair and a beard (the only meaning I can arrive at from known terms)....

This is sort of the hairy rocker type look.
images (1).jpg

With all this talk of musicians and poetry, etc. it's reminded me I've not listened to my copy of Vivian Stanshall's 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End' for a while. :)

The level of erudition to be found in F & C never ceases to amaze me. Another person and work I've never heard of. Book, song, film, piece of music? I have no idea and am ashamed of my small knowledge. I can only confess to a misspent youth. NOT a priest; only a misspent youth will serve. Tea and jaffa cakes preferably.

I think he edits/edited Private Eye and appears on some TV program? If the question was directed to me, as far as I remember I've done neither, although I was once interviewed for a wireless program. Anyway, I'm not he. Although I have a vague recollection that before the Latin grammarians got their hands on English, it was correct to say "I'm not him". But you didn't ask that...

I've not listened to my copy of Vivian Stanshall's 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End' for a while.
Memories! I lent mine and it never came back. Mrs EEEEe ...! Old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer. Brainwashing House. Nice & Tidy (thwack!). A classic!

Memories! I lent mine and it never came back. Mrs EEEEe ...! Old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer. Brainwashing House. Nice & Tidy (thwack!). A classic!
Makes you want to stand upright in your wheelbarrow and pretend you're Boadicea. :D Perhaps there might just be time to get a late stocking-filler CD to replace it? :)

The level of erudition to be found in F & C never ceases to amaze me. Another person and work I've never heard of. Book, song, film, piece of music?
A search on YouTube should find the album, I'll let you decide if it's a book, song or piece of music (that'll most likely make sense once you've listened to it). Probably best to add that it's not suitable for playing at work, in polite company, or in the presence of children (particularly intelligent ones), but by today's standards it's probably fairly tame and quintessentially 'English eccentric'; however, I think it would still qualify for a post-9pm watershed listing.

The short film of the same title is (or was) available too on YouTube in glorious sepia monochrome, but it's probably best to listen to the CD first and make sure you like it, as I seem to recall the visual version is even more quirky and 'eccentric'.

Last edited:

So you never had waist long greasy hair that wasn't washed for weeks / months on end, bounding around like being out of your mind ( or actually BEING out of your mind!:D) head banging to the heaviest rock that your ears could bare then being unable to hear anything ( except a distinct ringing:confused:) for, sometimes two days after??

You aint lived!:D:D

Back