Oops ... 70-200 2.8 VR ... a mistake?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I’ve been agonising for months over which system to go for. I finally decided on a D700. While I was In Norwich for work a couple of days ago, I took my ‘lunch break’ and rushed in to WEX to buy my first digital SLR (place was packed!). I walked out with a D700, 24-70 2.8, and a 70-200 2.8 VR. The 24-70 was recommended by the helpful assistant, which I’m happy with, and I asked for the 70-200 2.8 VR. Having been ‘lurking’ on Talk photography for quite some time I knew getting good glass was important and from what I had read the 70-200 2.8 VR was a good lens. When I got home I checked out the 24-70 online and was reassured. But... when I checked the 70-200 2.8 VR it was rated highly for DX but for my choice of FX, declared soft in the corners with noticeable vignetting! ... Sigh ... I made the mistake of concentrating on choice of camera and neglecting the lens research. So after all the indecisiveness I wind up impulse buying... aaaagghhh! :bang:

Due to working lots of overtime (that’s why I treated myself to the camera) all I have done is take it out of the box, looked at it, and then put it back. I haven’t even attached it to the D700 yet! So... am I worrying unnecessarily? Or. Should I try to exchange it for something else? If so.. what?

Stick it on the camera and enjoy! I have the same lens and use it with the D3 (as does Edinburgh Gary) with no issues apart from a slight light fall off when used wide open which can be easily corrected.

Congrats on your purchases, that's a great set up you have there. (y)

I certainly wouldn't worry about it myself. There are a LOT of examples about of this lens producing amazing results on full frame cameras. Have a look for shots by EdinburghGary, Radiohead and Hacker.

Wow ... fast responses.. thanks guys!

Just the usual "have I done the right thing" blues..

Thanks for the link Blue Moon 7, I will check it out.

Nigel

A few examples.....

0805_Badminton_046-2.jpg

Kids-28.jpg

Paintball-1.jpg

Zeus-Hastingwood-6.jpg

motox-5.jpg

Spanner-41.jpg

2008-08-03_Rock_the_Castle-.jpg

Lola-Marci--friends-52.jpg

Volatis-Elf-7.jpg

Nigel,

its one of Nikons finest pieces of glass, use it and you will be stunned by the results.

Happy New Year. :)

Ian

But... when I checked the 70-200 2.8 VR it was rated highly for DX but for my choice of FX, declared soft in the corners with noticeable vignetting!

I haven’t even attached it to the D700 yet! So... am I worrying unnecessarily? Or. Should I try to exchange it for something else? If so.. what?
Welcome to TP, Morpho!

What should you do?

Well, it's a very sharp lens in the centre of the frame. It's not very sharp towards the edges ad corners of the FX frame, but do you need that? Most thing which most people photograph with a 70-200 probably don't.

And besides, what would you exchange it for?

Don't sit there contemplating your navel. Get out and take photos with it.

Morpho you have a setup a lot of people would give a limb for. Good on you now get out and use it :)

Where's EdinburghGary? I'm sure he'd have something to say here.....

Ok, ok, :LOL:

I get the message....

Thanks for all your replies (great shots Hacker!)

I will go stick it on the camera and use it rather than contemplating my navel (ta Stewart).

Not great weather for it down here on the Essex/Suffolk border, very overcast.

Now I better try to figure out what all these buttons do on the D700 :shrug:

Nigel

Hi,
I’ve been agonising for months over which system to go for. I finally decided on a D700. While I was In Norwich for work a couple of days ago, I took my ‘lunch break’ and rushed in to WEX to buy my first digital SLR (place was packed!). I walked out with a D700, 24-70 2.8, and a 70-200 2.8 VR. The 24-70 was recommended by the helpful assistant, which I’m happy with, and I asked for the 70-200 2.8 VR. Having been ‘lurking’ on Talk photography for quite some time I knew getting good glass was important and from what I had read the 70-200 2.8 VR was a good lens. When I got home I checked out the 24-70 online and was reassured. But... when I checked the 70-200 2.8 VR it was rated highly for DX but for my choice of FX, declared soft in the corners with noticeable vignetting! ... Sigh ... I made the mistake of concentrating on choice of camera and neglecting the lens research. So after all the indecisiveness I wind up impulse buying... aaaagghhh! :bang:

Due to working lots of overtime (that’s why I treated myself to the camera) all I have done is take it out of the box, looked at it, and then put it back. I haven’t even attached it to the D700 yet! So... am I worrying unnecessarily? Or. Should I try to exchange it for something else? If so.. what?

It's awesome....very nice combo.

There is a similar thread somewhere with links to various images, you will love it.

Gary.

Morpho you have a setup a lot of people would give a limb for. Good on you now get out and use it :)

I realise that Cyclone. I'm just being picky/careful. I promised myself a new camera after working late the whole of August with no days off at all. So had the money but no time to spend it. (note to self - I must get a life! :shake:) Still doing too many hours now... sigh ... home last night 2100(new years eve :thumbsdown:) and 2200 the night before. Had the camera 3 or 4 days now but no time to use it. I will go out today though :clap:

ps: I do like the choice of Smilies here (y)

Ta

Nigel

My kit list aswell D700 24-70 70-200

As said by others awesome setup, just get out and use it

dorsetshow-00000032wtmk.jpg

slimbridge-109wtmk.jpg

and iso 4500
slimbridge-005wtmk.jpg

Trust the TP massive Morpho. It really doesn't get any better than this ;)

All you need now is the Nikon 14-24mm, 105mm VR macro, 50mm f/1.4, Telecon II, SB900 flash, ringflash, tripod, a few bags, some filters, Photoshop...

It's only a bit more overtime :D

Richard.

I have used this lens on a D700 FX recently and fully intend to buy one.

See examples...

AIR_0773_p_800.jpg

AIR_0767.jpg

AIR_0695_800.jpg

STV_0852_800.jpg

Cheers,

Edward

Trust the TP massive Morpho. It really doesn't get any better than this ;)

All you need now is the Nikon 14-24mm, 105mm VR macro, 50mm f/1.4, Telecon II, SB900 flash, ringflash, tripod, a few bags, some filters, Photoshop...

It's only a bit more overtime :D

Richard.

HoppyUk that looks like a good shopping list!

Ah, the never ending black money pit beckons... :eek:

I took the lens out into the gloom we have had all day and thought to myself 'I really need a bag for this' and 'a decent tripod would be handy too' and so it begins.....

Re: "I have used this lens on a D700 FX recently and fully intend to buy one.

See examples..."

Edward,

Thanks for the examples. I particularly like No1... Where was it taken?

Ta

Nigel

Not that you need any more convincing, but add me to the FX (D700) + 70-200/2.8 list. Stunning lens.

One other thing, grab the 85/1.4. It is unbelievably good! :¬)

Ah... yes ... the 85/1.4 ... I will have a look at it, as... the Canon 85/F1.2 was a strong draw before I eventually chose the dark side ;)

Nigel

I have the D700 and the 85mm 1.4 and its mental how you can get great photos in really bad light, i loooove it.

I have the 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm 2.8's and they are really sweet lenses you will be over the moon with what you have there

Thanks for the examples. I particularly like No1... Where was it taken?

It's a view of the new college, at Ipswich yacht harbour.

From your details "Constable country" you must be close.

Edward

I have the D700 and the 85mm 1.4 and its mental how you can get great photos in really bad light, i loooove it.

I have the 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm 2.8's and they are really sweet lenses you will be over the moon with what you have there

It's incredibly sharp wide open too. The only thing that bugs me is the screw-in lens hood - wish it was along the lines of the AF-S lenses.

Oh, one other thing about the 70-200: marvellous bokeh :¬)

The only thing that bugs me is the screw-in lens hood - wish it was along the lines of the AF-S lenses.

ye i must agree wit that, you cant reverse store it

It's a view of the new college, at Ipswich yacht harbour.

From your details "Constable country" you must be close.

Edward

Damn... I drive past it most days! I thought it looked familiar! In my defence I don't get to see it from the water side. You have certainly shown it off well!

Regards

Nigel

With respect guys, if Morpho is worried about corner softness - and I think we all agree he shouldn't be, but that's not my point here - what does an 800-pixel image achieve? You could take pictures through the bottom of a milk bottle and they'd be sharp at that resolution.

LOL Stewart :)

And how many people never see their pictures on anything but a PC screen these days :eek:

But I think that kind of misses the point. There is a great deal of pleasure just owning and using high quality kit, even if we never realise its potential. If I could afford a Porsche 911 Turbo*, I would buy one tomorrow. Seriously I would, but I have no intention of driving at 180mph-plus. Nice to know I could though (y)

Richard.

*997 Turbo in grey metalic, black leather interior please :love: Shame the PDK dual-clutch geabox is not yet available on the Turbo, don't you agree :thinking: :D

With respect guys, if Morpho is worried about corner softness - and I think we all agree he shouldn't be, but that's not my point here - what does an 800-pixel image achieve? You could take pictures through the bottom of a milk bottle and they'd be sharp at that resolution.

Stewart, I had realised the posted photos were not 100% crops showing the softness. However, I was completely reassured by your previous posts as I respect your knowledge and experience, so stopped being concerned about the lens, put it on the camera and went out and used it.

So thanks to everyone who took the time to post replies. When I bought it I had in mind the following...

The Common Law of Business Balance is a meditation on price attributed to John Ruskin. It reads as follows:

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

I realise that Cyclone. I'm just being picky/careful. I promised myself a new camera after working late the whole of August with no days off at all. So had the money but no time to spend it. (note to self - I must get a life! :shake:) Still doing too many hours now... sigh ... home last night 2100(new years eve :thumbsdown:) and 2200 the night before. Had the camera 3 or 4 days now but no time to use it. I will go out today though :clap:

ps: I do like the choice of Smilies here (y)

Ta

Nigel

I'll help you come out to hand it over...ermmm i mean share..ahemm..i mean use it :LOL:

I use the 70-200 VR with my D3 and love it, although...my copy is a little softer in the corners than others - having seen crops from the corners from other owners. BUT, it's still a great lens even on FX.

Back