Oops. Monumental missprint!

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
I have been looking for this grave for some time. Found it today.

George Miles Ramsay
Born Nov 24th 1852
Died Dec 17th 1840.

Think the stonemason made a typing error.:LOL:
gravestone1.jpg

Ha ha.. thats what you call getting old before your time!! :D

Maybe it's like that episode of Para Handy, where they got a cheap gravestone (in advance) because the name was spelt wrong :LOL:

It is quite a well known stone around here. It is dated wrong. There was no money to put it right, at least that is how the story goes.

I think another visit is required, but I'd say it was a 3.

If you look at the dark horizontal line which is the top of the 5, can you not see at the left end of it there is a thin line which goes southwest direction and then has a large curve going off to the right? that is the 5

Maybe he was related to Benjamin Button?

Lol! :D

I can see where you are getting your 3 from, you are using the left side of that piece of white lichen as the back of the three, but I still see it as a 5! :D

]

Although even if it was a 3 that would mean he died aged 8, and there is usually words such as beloved son of, or things like that.:shrug:

Last edited:
Bizarre that people are questioning this, even after the OP has explained further.

Make the numbers into anything you wish, but they can most easily be made into the numbers that sawman says they are. :shrug:

I think I'd go back with a cloth and wipe off the algea. That looks like 1940 to me which would be more in keeping.

I agree its odd that the algae covers some letters/numbers but then it seems like it is underneath others :bonk:

There's a grave in the main church in Ware with very clear numbers, and apparently the resident was 150 years old!

Right Charlie... get back there with a bowl of water and a scrubbing brush!!!:D

Never thought this would cause such a stushie!
I will not be cleaning the algae / lichens off the stone though.
I might try it again soon with a bit of sidelight on it. That might show the numbers up.
I have known about this grave for years & it was the dates that made it more interesting.
I will see if I can dig up the original info which sent me on my quest.
The grave is on top of a cliff looking out to sea. That may explain the lichen.
On another grave nearby, a farmer had laid to rest 4 of his children. I think the oldest one was only six, youngset was two.

Close by is a clifftop cemetery. Here you can find the grave of one George James Ramsay. Not a well known man: but one who, according to his gravestone, was born on 24 November 1859, nineteen years after his death on 17 December 1840.

There you go. I got the 1852 date wrong when I tried to read it this morning.
Thing that puzzles me about it is that it looks like a private burial ground. If he was not well known, why has he got quite a "posh" stone & why is he buried there. The stone gives no clues.

So the author of that piece misread the numeral, too.

When I find that font, which I know is on one of my computers, I'll post it here.

aside
loved Spike Milligans stone
reportedly

"I told you I was ill"

So the author of that piece misread the numeral, too.

When I find that font, which I know is on one of my computers, I'll post it here.

Well whatever kind of lettering is used, I would have thought if the 3 looked like a 5 then other numbers & letters would look odd too.

... and there's even a typo on the BBC page :LOL:

I spot two typos on there, but anyway, sorry for starting this debate Sawman, it honestly does look like a 3 to me, but I can also see the 5 now.

I am just back from a revisit. I can confirm it is a five.
I still wonder though, if he was a nobody why did he have such a grand headstone.

Back