Oops

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
About once a month I act as Highways duty officer for Leicestershire County Council. This involves attending out of hours highway emergencies, such as RTA's.
This one failed to make it round a roundabout , it's load of concentrated apple juice spilt onto the carriageway and got into the surface water drainage system.
lorry2.jpg

Propshaft.jpg

Lorry1.jpg

Fire crew cleaning up.

Fire-crew.jpg

Photographer from the local paper.
Photog.jpg

This one also failed to negotiate a roundabout and it's load of doors ended up in a farmers field.
Lorry.jpg

Luckily no-one was seriously injured in either of these accidents.

all taken last year with Fuji S602Z

they just going to quick?

Good job the last one wasn't a left hooker, he'd have had a headache from that :eek:

some good shots there Steve, looks like you have an interesting job there, do you just record the scene with photos or what?

Hi Marianne, I always carry a camera with me nowadays, and it is useful for recording the scene. The main purpose of being duty officer is to co-ordinate the different agencies, and minimise the disruption to other road users.
With the apple juice truck I had to organise the road closure and diversion, a gritter vehicle was required to sand the road to absorb the juice, the water course had to be stopped up to prevent contamination, a gully emptier was required to pump out the road gullies, the environment agency were informed and sent an officer out to check what we had done. whae the truck had been towed awaywe had a road sweeper to sweep up the sand and debris, before the road could be re-opened. about five and a half hours. and then I got a call to close a road because of a factory fire.

I hope this job isn't voluntary Steve, it sounds like a nightmare! Still you seem calm enough lol

It is seperate to my day job, but I am only on duty for about 1 week in 5,
but I am on call 24/7 for this period.

It sounds like a really interesting job (y)

So is it a voluntary / paid thing, like on a retainer, ala the lifeboats type scenario, or are you employed and salaried by someone?
Sorry if that sounds too nosy :D

A friend of mine works for VOSA, re : RTA's (Well, they're RTC's now aren't they), checking vehicles for defects etc.
And what with my history of wanting to be a traffic copper, I find stuff like this really interesting.

Marcel said:
It sounds like a really interesting job (y)

So is it a voluntary / paid thing, like on a retainer, ala the lifeboats type scenario, or are you employed and salaried by someone?
Sorry if that sounds too nosy :D

A friend of mine works for VOSA, re : RTA's (Well, they're RTC's now aren't they), checking vehicles for defects etc.
And what with my history of wanting to be a traffic copper, I find stuff like this really interesting.

My main job is as a Senior Technician for the County Council Highways dept. the duty officer job is a paid role covering emergencies on the highway.

So it is you getting Terry excited in the morning - tripping up all those lorries just to get a good picture! Interesting photo-reportage series kept us all reading the posts and learning something. Thanks for posting.

(y) Thanks for the explanation :)

And the pics....good stuff.

Luckily no-one was seriously injured in either of these accidents.
....but some apples sustained slight bruising?

Sorry, couldn't help it. :D

Why do we have so many roundabouts in this country? You see hardly any on the continent. I only know of four in all of Germany. I'm sure there are more but I lived there for 11 years so if I only came across four then there can't be many of them.

2blue4u said:
Why do we have so many roundabouts in this country? You see hardly any on the continent. I only know of four in all of Germany. I'm sure there are more but I lived there for 11 years so if I only came across four then there can't be many of them.
There are millions in France. Greece, too.

Back