Open University course - Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images

Name
Nicola
Edit My Images
Yes
Details Here: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01T189

Has anyone done this course or have any experience about it at all?
I am thinking of registering for the October one but not sure as it's £175 for 10 weeks and there are some local classes for less. The local class I am looking at is this one http://www.varndean.ac.uk/adult-education/Creative+Digital+SLR+Photography/387

I just don't know which one to go for? I like the idea of meeting other local people interested in photography but not sure I want to commit to going to a class each week straight from work. But then I am not sure I will be commited enough if I don't go to a class. I have a basic understanding of photography but am lacking enthusiam and creativity at the moment so the course is going to be a way to kick start me again.

If you were me which would you choose? :)

A few folk here have done the OU course, search for Open University and you'll find some threads before and after.

Yep, I did it last year.

To be honest whichever one you do you will have to knuckle down and get it done. The OU one allows a fair bit of leniency in that you only need to submit the multiple choice paper and the panel of 10 images at the end to get your marks.

However, that's not going to allow you to get the best out of it. If you do all the weekly assignments you will get the most out of doing it and I'd reckon any that you have to attend would be the same.

I still refer to my OU notes now, Have still got all the tutorials on disc and got a whopping discount on Photoshop CS3 thanks to my student registration. That was worth the entrance fee alone!

Instead of paying to so an OU course why don't we start something here?

We already have the basics with members reviewing each others images but if someone sets a theme - say composition, lighting, black and white, hdr, isolated on white, landscapes, portraits, action etc etc and those wishing to improve in those areas submit to the thread others can give them feedback. Many of us have experience in some areas of photography and we could give feedback and hints in our particular areas of interest. I know this is pretty much what happens anyway but maybe it could be more "directed"?

Some of the reviews I read seemed to have a problem with the feedback they were receiving (or lack of) from the tutors, they said the only feedback they got were from other newbies on the course, which although helpful wasn't what they expected. How did they seem to you?

Has anyone done this course or have any experience about it at all?
I am thinking of registering for the October one but not sure as it's £175 for 10 weeks and there are some local classes for less. The local class I am looking at is this one

I'm thinking of doing it in October too. I just need to convince my GLW to pay for it. We can both do it and praise each other's work to the rafters, until they accuse of collusion. ;) AliB did the course and I like the images he produces. The proof is in the outcome and it worked for him. As Tom Lehrer said (well not quite), this course is like a sewer what you get out of it depends upon what you put into it.

I don't think I had a single comment from my "tutor" throughout the course. But then you have to consider that there are 600 on the course, it was the first course and I think the tutors were probably busy just trying to solve all the teething problems. (There are bound to be those)

If you want something interactive, with real humans, then a college course may suit you better. I did the OU because I work away from home a fair amount and can't commit to an evening course. For that it suited me down to the ground and I may have a look at an Open College of the Arts course if work ever calms down. lol.

I did the course last year and was able to pay with Tesco vouchers so it only cost £42 .... don't know if they still do it. It was only possible to use the vouchers if it was the first OU course you have done. Great value for 40 odd quid!

What is the content like on the OU one? I have read and re-read the description but just wondered in more detail what it covers and what sort of assignments you get set.

I am thinking of doing it but as it costs £75 more than the college course I am still unsure.

There is a full prospectus online but the assignments are things like week one, taking pics of letters. i.e. bridges form the letter T so that gets your visual awareness going, you have other ones where you need to use depth of field, another to examine colour, focal length and some of the photoshop skills covered in the tutorials.

Ohhh so i'm guessing it takes more time than the 5 hours a week they state if you include the going out and photographing. Mind you that is the reason i want to do a course, to learn more about it and to make myself get out there shooting.

I have to say I am thinking of doing thios course too. Currently talking with work to see if they will fund it, or atleast part of it.

Intersting to do, and even better if i can get it for free/cheap.

I think the bottom line on that course was ( I took the very first along with a few others
on here) you can get CS3 extended at student rates, around the £160 mark as opposed to circa £800 (y)

I still don't really know elements (another reason for doing a course) so i am a long way off needing to get CS3 :)

I still don't really know elements (another reason for doing a course) so i am a long way off needing to get CS3 :)

I still use MS Paint every now and again :p

Assuming its the same course there is quite a lot on "Elements 5" ( supplied)
and a very handy tool it is too (y)
but at that kinda discount there were a few of us that just couldn't resist CS3:D

I'm now also thinking about this one: http://pcc-web.com/com-ed/docs/PhotographyC&G-V117.pdf It's 30 weeks long though :eek:

The good side is it is less than the OU one and I get an extra 20 weeks, plus a qualification at the end. I am unsure because I think I may struggle with the assessments (especially if it's raining)

To be Honest, I signed up for the OU course a week or so before I "found" this forum.
The course wasn't due to start for a few months, and by the time it started I had learned "most of it" on here.
I am still glad I did the OU one as there were a few gaps that it filled in at the time.
I can't remember exactly but I think I spent about 10 hrs a week on it.
( plus picture taking time)

Ohhh i'm not sure what to do and I don't have long to decide either as they all start arpund sept/oct...soooo confused :bonk: :LOL:

i did the course last October, i thought it was fab, but then i was pretty much starting from zero.
I spent probably nearer 20 hours a wk doing it, *** alot of that was surfing the forums, chatting & commenting on each others images. The more you comment on others, the more comment on yours & so you learn.
alot of people thought the lack of a tutor & feedback was a problem, it told me this before i signed up & it didnt worry me.
The fact that you had a different project each week, made me do it, whereas a book, or 'do it when you can' course wouldnt have got me the same results.
i also paid with tesco vouchers, which they still do.
I wish i'd bought CS3 whilst i was still studying.
Photoshop elements 5 is supplied with the course & v useful, the course teaches you how to do alot with it, so i know my way around the software very well.
there are several groups on flickr if you search T189
good luck
tango,
oh & let me know if you need a camera, i'm upgrading from my D40x...

I'm now also thinking about this one: http://pcc-web.com/com-ed/docs/PhotographyC&G-V117.pdf It's 30 weeks long though
i just read course outline, i think you'd learn much more from T189 OU & much quicker.
i dont think the qualification sounds v impressive, IMO, i'd get good at photography then apply for your Licentiate, much better than a basic c&g as it means something to photographers. Depends what sort of photography career you're after ***, i guess.

I'm really fed up now, the course I originally wanted to do with Northbrook (a local college) was full when I enquired and I am now no 15 on the waiting list so unlikely I will get on, it was after this that i started to look at the OU and the other one I linked to above.
I was out last night and met a friend of a friend who did an animation course at Northbrook and said that the tutors are all mainly photographers and very very good at it, obviously this is why the course is full but it just made me want to do that one even more now. They do a 5 week interediate course and a 5 week out and about one as well and both those carry on from the first that i wanted, so i may do a 10 week course elsewhere either at the college i linked above or with the OU and then sign up very very early with northbrook for the other 2.

Also check the following two courses - Tesco clubcard vouchers support them.

Linky1

Course1

Course2

Back