opinions on 2 Malham pics

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,
I'd like your very honest opinions on these two pics I took at Malham last week. Any tips on how to improve them would be appreciated as I'm keen to learn :) I know they would of been better with filters .. they're on the way ;)

5014954991_17c307588f_b.jpg

5014986281_c960bee605_b.jpg

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited:
The light in both of those shots is very flat and doing nothing to lift the images off the screen and bring the landscape to life. This is less important on the first shot as the image is more graphic and has a stronger pattern.

When I saw these the other day I thought that there was more to be had from that shot in processing and was going to try a version but noticed you have gone for no editing. I think a little tweak would really bring it to life though.

The 2nd is a shot just feel flat to me and there really isn't much you could have done with that framing. The washed out sky lets all the feel drain out of the frame. I don't think you could have used any filter there to help as anything you did to the sky, would also be done to the tops of the hills. Beaten by the light really. It happens....... often. ;)

Just a quick play. Not sure how you're uploading but when I opened the file in photoshop it was very different to the way it displays on the page here. far more vibrant and very very green

no idea why it would be different ... I'm not used to flickr so just uploaded it how it advised :D The only thing I did was use the "large pcture" link :thinking:

Hi,
No1 - good edit Darren.

In No2 I find myself looking at the foreground as opposed to down the valley. Personally I would crop the bottom to lust above the big rock on the left and increase the contrast a bit.

The point about the blown sky is a valid one. It also looks like there is another range of hills/trees on the left horizon. One thing you could do, especially if you are shooting in RAW, would be to meet the exposure halfway and then do some selective editing the adjust the exposure for the sky and hills differently.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, will have a play with no2 later with Lightroom .. something else I've got to learn :LOL:

Just my opinion...... The edit to your first shot is spot on i think. It gets rid of the distractions either side and has lifted the picture very well.

The second image for me has too much going on in the foreground and the sky is washed out. A little tweak and play would certainly help.

All in all though nice shots.

Back