opinions on canon 7D

Thanks for all the feed back and comments guys. Poped into my local camera shop yesterday to have a look at the 7d. All in all was quite impressed nice weight to it and felt comfortable to hold opviously he was trying to sell it so gave me all the talk. Although he did advise me it would be quite a jump from the 1100d.
when I came back I was scouring the the net and started looking ar the 50d. I have read quite a few reviews and thay all seem to be quite positive and to be honest its alot more im my price range at the mo.
So as you guys are so good at this opinions on the 50d please.

I happily used the 50d for a few years but I was mainly shooting landscapes. If you are going to be doing action shots, then go for the 7d.
The 7d is slightly better in many areas but its selling point is the AF.
I would say your choice would depend on how often you plan to use it for action photography.

My manageress had the Canon 7d ,repeat "had" , it died on her with very little use. It was only 2/3 years old and used as a hobby not professional camera. Repair estimates outweighed the value so no longer used and got a higher spec . one instead.

So going just on that as an example only all I can conclude is that that particular Canon model has a serious printed circuit fault built in or some other fault undetermined. On that basis if I were a canon user I would steer well clear of the 7D

Last edited:
My manageress had the Canon 7d ,repeat "had" , it died on her with very little use. It was only 2/3 years old and used as a hobby not professional camera. Repair estimates outweighed the value so no longer used and got a higher spec . one instead.

So going just on that as an example only all I can conclude is that that particular Canon model has a serious printed circuit fault built in or some other fault undetermined. On that basis if I were a canon user I would steer well clear of the 7D

So, out of one example, you're deducting that the whole 7D range will be faulty?
I have 3 friends who have 7D's, One who owned one from release date and it's still going strong. Neither of them have had issues with their's, except the odd gripe regarding ISO.
But the general insinuation of what I'm getting is, one bad experience = the whole range is bad?
My first 2 Camera's were Nikon D5000's. I had the first one for 2 days before it stopped working, the second a week before the same issue. Though I wouldn't go as far as saying to avoid them to people looking at buying them. For I know, It could have been a random defect with the manufacturing process.

That is a bizarre conclusion based on your experience of one 7D :thumbsdown:

I can not get my head around why you'd not buy a camera because of a single unexpected failure outside of the warranty period.

Since you have no idea of how the camera was specifically treated, failure may be as a result of the user's treatment of it. Perhaps shooting a video of a Hitchcock shower scene and water got to the circuit board! :D

Had a 7D for a year or so before upgrading to a 1D Mk4. Thought for the money the 7D was a great camera. 1D is probably 10% better for the photos I take, but you're paying a lot more.

Prices of the 7D may fall a bit more as the 7D MK2 launch approaches (if it ever does).

Alchad

I took the 7D out with the 70-200 yesterday, and I had forgot how good the focus system is.

Sitting in a hide at WWT Barnes the lens was a bit short, but the dragonflies were being rather busy and I decided to switch to "Single Spot" focus and managed to get a few decent shots.

This following is a 100% crop - that's how far away he was, but the spot focus just found him immediately.

9600927014_eecd59be01_c.jpg

I was quite impressed that not only did it focus correctly, but the exposure was pretty good too.

I took the 7D out with the 70-200 yesterday, and I had forgot how good the focus system is.

Sitting in a hide at WWT Barnes the lens was a bit short, but the dragonflies were being rather busy and I decided to switch to "Single Spot" focus and managed to get a few decent shots.

This following is a 100% crop - that's how far away he was, but the spot focus just found him immediately.

9600927014_eecd59be01_c.jpg

I was quite impressed that not only did it focus correctly, but the exposure was pretty good too.
:clap::clap::clap:
That shot proves what a complete crock of **** the 7d is.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Well I tell you what Phil, I'm just about to add a 6D to the collection, but I had 2nd thoughts and started thinking about going for a decent 400mm lens instead. However, the pull of FF is too hard to resist, so the 400 will have to wait until the "camera fund" is topped up again.

I make no bones about it, I consider myself a pretty average photographer, so if I can shoot stuff like this others can too. The 7D is a great camera. I've had it about 3 years now, and I won't replace it until I can get a 1D Mk IV at least.

That's not what people are saying though is it?

As far as I can see from the outsie looking in although have been reports of focus woes and possibly faults with the focus system largely the focus system is seen as a big +. The main complaint that I see is of image quality and specifically noise/mushy files.

Yes, "Spot" focus is like a smaller square inside the centre focus point. Damn good for focusing on things small in the viewfinder, but difficult to use when tracking moving subjects (such as dragonflies :D )

Spot is useful for shots like this where there is a lot of stuff that the 7D would prefer to focus on because it's closer. I took this to test how accurate the Spot Focus viewfinder 'square' is, 'very' being the answer!

spotfocus.jpg

I went from an 1100D to a 7D mate and the difference is astronomical. Personally I would buy 7D again.

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. The 7D IS a very good camera, but you need to invest some time to understand the focusing system and general operation as it lacks the scene modes that do this automatically. If this is you, then get on and buy one, if not, you'd be better with a 50/60/70D with the scene modes etc.

When it came out lots of people were posting all over the place about focus problems.
I do think there were a few dodgy units out there, but it sort of became a self fulfilling prophecy, people became convinced their camera was faulty, when in fact they really needed to understand how the focus system works.

Far as noise goes, yes it has some! if you want the best IQ go and buy a 5d3 or a medium format etc. Used properly the 7D can hold its own though, always expose to the right, I have expose compensation +2/3rds all the time, sometimes more.
Read Tim's posts (tdodd) I know he's posted some great high ISO shots of his dogs before.

Far as an average user goes, I took this on Monday. I was at the limits of pretty much everything - 400mm, 1/400, wide open, 3200 ISO, its a bit underexposed (which doesn't help). I've done a little editing but not much. I think its pretty usable ?

Red Panda @ Marwell by c20let, on Flickr

I don't think you'll regret the 7D, but it may take you a little time to get to grips with it. Worth the effort imho.

Back