Beginner Opinions on my lens!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Iv own my dslr for nearly a year now along with two lenses, one being Nikon 35mm prime and the other being a Tokina 11-16mm. The 35mm is so sharp I was blown away the first time I used it especially jumping from a kit lens. The tokina on the other hand iv never really been amazed with its results, I know it will never be as sharp as a prime lens, but after reading the reviews for months about how great this lens is for dx format iv come to the conclusion its either a bad copy or its my photography skills. I have taken a photo against the brick wall in my garden.
The distance is around a meter at 12mm 1/10 sec f. 5.6 iso 100 taken in raw and converted to jpeg, the only editing iv done is lens profile correction in lightroom 5.

View attachment 13196

I mainly shoot landscapes & just feel my photos are not as sharp as other I have viewed on here, would appreciate your opinions

cheer kellett (y)

Firstly a small photo of a brick wall is t going to tell anyone anything, and second 1/10 is pretty slow, so if you handheld that I wouldn't expect it to be pin sharp anyway.

Post up some real pictures taken with the lens you aren't happy with, preferably with links to the full size images.

The photos look great.It looks like you know what you are doing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125168741@N04/ hope this is better,the photo above was taken on a tripod

Regards kellett

And those are still tiny photos at 1000px on the longest edge...as Tom has said if you want people to judge if there is a problem with the lens then you need to post photos that we can click to view at the original size, not a resized file

And those are still tiny photos at 1000px on the longest edge...as Tom has said if you want people to judge if there is a problem with the lens then you need to post photos that we can click to view at the original size, not a resized file

^this. No one will be able to objectively analyse your lens from screen res images.. which leads nicely to a point - does it matter if you don't actually print them big? The images on yoru Flickr feed look great, so why worry... unless you plan to start printing them big.

I doubt it;'s faulty. However.... if you're worried... post up some original camera resolution files. Use Dropbox or something if you don't want to change your Flickr settings.

Last edited:
tbh pixel peeping is largely a waste of time anyway - even printed big most people won't be examining them for lens softness - this kind of thing tends to by psychsomtatic - ie your convinced theres a problem, therefore you look for evidence that there is rather than just concentating on taking and enjoying great shots.

unless your personal passion is picturews of brickwalls and lens charts i'd suggest not worrying about it unless it is adversely effecting real photos

I've got that lens and after I first used it I did think that I had a problem with mine but it was user error it was a too low a shutter speed on a windy day
As already said you can only properly check sharpness on a full sized raw image or an unsharpened JPEG

tbh pixel peeping is largely a waste of time anyway - even printed big most people won't be examining them for lens softness - this kind of thing tends to by psychsomtatic - ie your convinced theres a problem, therefore you look for evidence that there is rather than just concentating on taking and enjoying great shots.

unless your personal passion is picturews of brickwalls and lens charts i'd suggest not worrying about it unless it is adversely effecting real photos

:agree: get out their and start to enjoy :)

Thanks for the replies people, iv come to the conclusion some not so sharp photos iv taken have been user error and not the lens itself, I need to get out there and practice some more, have found it frustrating at times due to seeing some of the quality of photos posted on here on a daily basis.

Has anyone got any advice for focusing when in comes to landscape either using auto focus, manual or even the DOF scale?? or would it be the case of using a mixture of the three depending on situation?

cheers kellett :)

Hi Kellett,
Check out hyper focal distance, just google it and you will find a lot of interesting reading on the subject. The method of focusing about a third of the way into the shot basically works on the hyper focal distance principle. Also look up DOFmaster.

Back