Beginner Opinions on post editing

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post! I've had my camera almost 3 years and I'd like a little critique on the photos in my flickr album.
They're all photos I personally like (and I only take them for myself) but I'm curious about other peoples opinions. Which do you like best? Which do you like least (I think I'm most interested in this so feel free to be honest!) I use lightroom to edit and wonder if I'm over doing it, especially the black and white ones. I tend to add grain as I like the effect, but I think it maybe looks overly instagram-y. Happy to hear tips to improve, feel free to edit if you want.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113090204@N05/albums/72157689252019355

Thank you muchly.

Ness

It would be more helpful to post a few images here for specific critique - use the BB code from the sharing option - because 34 pictures is a lot to crit in one go. Perhaps you could post the ones you don't like so much but don't know why.

Ok, I had a look. The washing line one seemed to be the odd one out (too blurry overall to have full meaning) - but even then, it had a certain something. Overall, you have an original voice that's quite immediate. Haven't seen the 'added grain' yet so I'm not clear what you're on about there. I'd keep going as you are - trust your instincts, they seem pretty alive!

The images of the kids are absolutely priceless!

Last edited:
Hi,

Not a so called expert, but the family photos are just nice, a pleasure to see them. The b/w works well. All charming.

I especially like the two workshop b/w shots, they have come out really well. Moon shot needs a bit of work, think about stacking, Maybe a longer lens, maybe a tripod...(Not sure how you have done the moon), exif is a little bare...

You seem to be on the right track, keep looking at other peoples work, and just keep working at it.

Mj

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post! I've had my camera almost 3 years and I'd like a little critique on the photos in my flickr album.
They're all photos I personally like (and I only take them for myself) but I'm curious about other peoples opinions. Which do you like best? Which do you like least (I think I'm most interested in this so feel free to be honest!) I use lightroom to edit and wonder if I'm over doing it, especially the black and white ones. I tend to add grain as I like the effect, but I think it maybe looks overly instagram-y. Happy to hear tips to improve, feel free to edit if you want.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/113090204@N05/albums/72157689252019355

Thank you muchly.

Ness
Link isn't opening for me.

That's interesting, because for a week or few now I've had to double-click on in-message TP links to get them to open ....
Just tried that, no joy.

It would be more helpful to post a few images here for specific critique - use the BB code from the sharing option - because 34 pictures is a lot to crit in one go. Perhaps you could post the ones you don't like so much but don't know why.

Ok, I'll try the BB code. Thank you. Apologies if it doesn't work.

One that's my favourite but was an 'easy' photo to take as I didn't need to set it up or follow it around so I'm not dead proud of it ;)- DSC_0858 by Vanessa Jackson, on Flickr

One that I want to love but something feels a bit flat with it.
DSC_2541 by Vanessa Jackson, on Flickr

What do you reckon?

Ok, I had a look. The washing line one seemed to be the odd one out (too blurry overall to have full meaning) - but even then, it had a certain something. Overall, you have an original voice that's quite immediate. Haven't seen the 'added grain' yet so I'm not clear what you're on about there. I'd keep going as you are - trust your instincts, they seem pretty alive!

The images of the kids are absolutely priceless!

Many thanks and I see what you mean about the washing line. Appreciate the reply!

Hi,

Not a so called expert, but the family photos are just nice, a pleasure to see them. The b/w works well. All charming.

I especially like the two workshop b/w shots, they have come out really well. Moon shot needs a bit of work, think about stacking, Maybe a longer lens, maybe a tripod...(Not sure how you have done the moon), exif is a little bare...

You seem to be on the right track, keep looking at other peoples work, and just keep working at it.

Mj

Ah yes, I think I copied the moon photo from my fb page as I lost the original image. I took it through a kids telescope without a tripod, it was a little tricky. Would love a longer lens. Thank you, I really appreciate the reply.

Ok, I'll try the BB code. Thank you. Apologies if it doesn't work.

DSC_2541 by Vanessa Jackson, on Flickr

What do you reckon?

I think that's a nice picture. I would probably make a virtual copy in lightroom, then look at adjusting exposure and the tone curve, boosting the lighter tones, possibly also reduce vibrance to stop the grass drawing the eye away as it does now, perhaps a very gentle gradient to raise the brightness on the RHS and further reduce the impact of the grass.

What do you reckon?
What's flat is the lighting - her hair, face, dress and arm are in shade, which means lower contrast and a lack of presence. But as an image it looks to be well worth tweaking, and too good to discard.

@Ness - I think your "pure" black and white (as opposed to those with a slight sepia tone) are some of your best and I would say you have an eye for good light generally - the one with the little girl in the red coat on the lane is really nice. I think your processing is pretty good and quite sympathetic to the images in general. As a portfolio I would say there a couple of shots that feel out of character from the rest - the natural history museum one, the moon shot, the buddha and maybe the nighttime ones for example, but otherwise I think you have a "style" which is working for you.

I've just had a look at your Flickr photostream and generally like what I see. These are probably my favourite picks....

This one because you have caught the motion via the hair and facial expression.
DSC_0126 by Vanessa Jackson, on Flickr

This one because of the colours and again you've captured the movement just by the timing of the stride.
DSC_1193 by Vanessa Jackson, on Flickr

This one because of the eyes. You have closed in on the detail and not tried to get too much in the frame. A common mistake that lots of people make, including me all too often.
DSC_0890 by Vanessa Jackson, on Flickr

Your photos remind me of this photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/95385485@N02/ who has received very good reviews of her images.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the replies, i'm reading and re-reading, soaking up the tips. Means a lot to me to get honest opinions.

@DB72 Linn Marlen's flickr account is amazing-just the type of photography I enjoy looking at. I can only hope to one day be as good as her!

Back